Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton05 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You will never stop the black market.

Frankly rmt is Classic I don’t support it but don’t bat an eyelash at it. Been offered real money for my stuff and I can see how enticing a few thousand dollars seems over a pixel. If you’re broke it prolly seems like a gold mine.
True that, one of the regular guild mates sold his planar armor equipped human SK the week Kunark released for $800 on Ebay. Ebay characters, in era it was often retarded players who didn't know how to play the class since they jumped right to the end.

Actually kind of thought it was neat back in the day, you know, on computers and selling a character on Ebay. Just seemed like things adults would be doing but I never really gave it much thought.

I am primarily against it because of the standards of today. Some game designed revolve around the idea.

An exception is cool when it is an exception. A game that doesn't allow such things is an exception today, which is why P99 is pretty cool.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:03 PM
Banned

someone bought my shiddy 57 wizard for 200$ when i quit after PoP
Old 05-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Banned

When diablo had the auction house, it wasn't so much that players were selling pixels, granted that is bad enough in its own right, but that Blizzard had an official in game means of doing it. The whole thing was max stat gross.

Guys using something like Ebay outside of a game is like skirting the rules, down low, under cover.. sneaky and getting away with it. I can sort of understand that appeal, keeping secrets. Secrets were a part of original EQ, like recharges.

A company saying here "We are just as degenerate as you guys and we are not even gonna front about it, we are lazy AF so just use this because we are going to do it too.. we are super fans of the original game"

Becomes something else. "Hey you know that epic weapon that we made really hard to get and you sort of feel some kind of lame accomplishment in a digital game? yeah that one. Well, since we have a store here why don't we sell you this. You are a busy working adult who has chosen to spend their free time on a game. We promise this will not harm anyone else or change the games as you know them."
Old 05-26-2020, 09:23 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
someone bought my shiddy 57 wizard for 200$ when i quit after PoP
I quit EQ around the fall of 2000, prior to Velious release. I had heard that there was a market for selling items/accounts and wanting some return on investment, so I researched selling on eBay. I eventually sold my 54 Paladin account with a cloak of flames for $1400 and a 48 cleric account in trade. I immediately flipped the cleric account for $200.

I know my parents were not pleased I was playing EQ as much as I was, but my dad was semi impressed I was able to flip my account and items for cash. I ended up doing jack and shit with that money...
Old 05-26-2020, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton05 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You will never stop the black market.

Frankly rmt is Classic I don’t support it but don’t bat an eyelash at it. Been offered real money for my stuff and I can see how enticing a few thousand dollars seems over a pixel. If you’re broke it prolly seems like a gold mine.
I go back and forth on it. Personally I generally don’t like it because I think it can ruin the in game experience since it arguably leads to people farming plat and certain drops a ton more. And also you have people buying characters on an MMO without ever playing them and having no idea what to do in the higher level content.

But then on the other hand on P99 you have so many pixel addicted people that the plat and loot farming goes on probably to the same extreme it would if RMT was allowed. And anyone buying a character has probably played EQ extensively and has played that class before so they know what they’re doing. So I probably wouldn’t get pissed if they allowed RMT for those reasons, but still I do think it’s kind of stupid to RMT in a game like EQ where the whole reason people like it is because of the grind and difficulty.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but still I do think it’s kind of stupid to RMT in a game like EQ where the whole reason people like it is because of the grind and difficulty.
No doubt.

It does lead to a change in the experience of playing the game, knowing that farming plat to buy an item at the tunnel is just a waste of time.. its a waste of time playing the game. Can buy plat with real money or the item outright. Never had to farm, save, plan, camp the item or level up the character. So no new friends or experiences made, the game wasn't played but skipped.. to play the game?

ooc conversation in zone

Phatazz says in ooc: "Yeah that camp is tough, if you can get in. The named is a wizard that drops quick Ice Comets and usually wipes out the group. I spent 12 hours there before I got my drop"

Duncecap say in ooc: "Lol noob, just buy it"
Closed Thread