Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Sarnak

Default Warrior vs. SK for the casual player?

Really tempted with the dual-wielding tank image of a Warrior - played one as an alt back on live and loved it. But that was a long time ago when I had far more free time and twink gear, not to mention that one of the best things about Warriors were their disciplines and I don't see myself raid-tanking any time soon either now or when Velious is released....

SK, on the other hand, comes with the great toolset of snare, fear, invis, invis to undead, levitate, and FD - very solo friendly, and good for small groups with the snap aggro. But for some reason the sword and board option or 2HS is not nearly as appealing as a dual-wielding tank.

Any input from any Warriors / SKs?
Would I be completely gimping myself going Warrior?
Old 12-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Planar Protector

To maximize fun playing a warrior: befriend root casters, especially members of the three priest classes. Root allows you to control agro via proximity. Learn to spot dd procs from the dps classes, sometimes it will be appropriate to yell at them when their shiny toys break root. Make a hotkey that politely advises those Rogues, Monks, & Rangers to back off to max melee range so they don't turn the mob or get hit. Once you're 37+ with decent agro procs, don't forget to bag Ykesha procs (stun+dd) for higher damage weapons when root is being used for agro control. Pay attention to group dynamics and ways other classes can work together to make your job easier. Practice varying your tactics depending on healer type and group makeup. Skill up a 2hander and zerk-duo with a Shaman for the fun of it (big hits!)

Warriors who just stand there make Paladins/SKs/Rangers look even better than they really are as tanks. EQ isn't rocket science, but there're plenty of fiddly little details you can learn and pass on to groupmates. Warriors that learn to lead groups well never seem to lack for groups. Learn the mechanics of face-pulling, it works ok in some places if you're high enough level. If you decide to make a stinky little peck warrior, learn to sneak-pull/sneak-tag. Always carry a bow and a few stacks of arrows, some camps it helps a lot if the tank can quickly tag the right mob while the monk is FD.

Be good at EQ and you'll be fine.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

Having played a Warrior in the past you know what it can do, and what it can't. Depending on what you mean in describing yourself as "casual,", the Warrior's significant experience advantage over the Shadow Knight should not be forgotten. You seem to genuinely prefer the Warrior class so that's what you probably ought to pick. Besides, there's no reason you can't make one of each.

Danth
Old 12-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having played a Warrior in the past you know what it can do, and what it can't. Depending on what you mean in describing yourself as "casual,", the Warrior's significant experience advantage over the Shadow Knight should not be forgotten. You seem to genuinely prefer the Warrior class so that's what you probably ought to pick. Besides, there's no reason you can't make one of each.

Danth
Yeah, pretty familiar with Warrior, although the above advice is great for anyone looking at starting a Warrior.

As a "casual", what I mean is that my playtimes are completely erratic, varying from 10 minutes to the occasional 3-4 hour marathon. On average, I tend to game for an hour or 2 at a time a few days a week (I work shift work, so it varies). As a result, the solo advantages of SK certainly make that class appealing.

That said, Warrior still appeals to me partially for nostalgia reasons. I guess what the issue boils down to for me is that I used to main a Ranger and loved the dual-wielding dps as well as the versatility of the class, but disliked the squishiness of him. I would often push the boundaries on what people expected Rangers to do, and would do regularly put together no-Cleric groups in Chardok (the updated zone); or duo'ing with an SK in Siren's; or soloing in WW (Tantor; hounds). But I was still quite squishy when placed under fire, and for that I was occasionally frustrated.

With P1999, I'm tempted to switch it up a bit, so Warrior provides the dual-wielding aspect with a bit more toughness thrown in (and with equipment, I can replicate a lot of what Ranger offered - snare weapons, Jboots for SoW, Cobalt greaves / Incarn. BP for invis, Truncheon / Willsapper / Wavecrasher to replace Earthcaller / Swarmcaller, etc.) but would take much more work to get all of those. SK offers similar versatility with a few extra tricks, but I give up the dual-wielding for sword + board or 2H weapons.

Tough call, really. The obvious answer is to go SK, given my schedule, but I can't completely ignore the lure of Warrior either. And, as you mentioned, the faster levelling as Warrior is certainly a temptation. Grrrr... I may end up doing what you suggested and making one of each [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-13-2014, 12:38 AM
Planar Protector

Warriors with full equipment have a lot more utility than originally designed and are fairly high DPS and extremely durable. It is one of the best classes in the game really.

For cruising around level 1-59 the SK has much more solo ability and you can just cruise through the world more freely because of a number of useful spells that you won't be able to replicate with the warrior until much later if ever, including feign death.

Ultimately the SK is a hybrid and so is a compromise, where the warrior is a pure class and is the king in his area of dominion. SK is a very very very great class though.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:48 AM
Kobold

Don't forget that until sometime in velious SK has that 40% penalty which many morons in casual groups will hold against you.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Banned

Pretty much already covered
It's hard to level up a main warrior - make FRIENDS.
I fucking hated my class, but once I got 51+ I was, and am, in heaven.
However, there are times when I think it would be cooler to go sword and board, instead of 2 hander. cause that's a fucking tank man i mean come on
Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Banned

additionally, as a warrior, 90% of your incoming exp will be from groups that you may have to form. A lot of my playtime leveling was centered around hunting down groups, traveling, and running my sorry ass from zone to zone.

If you are looking at hypercasual 30 min stretches as most of your playtime, don't do a tank. go Shaman, necro
Old 12-18-2014, 12:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnamazing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
additionally, as a warrior, 90% of your incoming exp will be from groups that you may have to form. A lot of my playtime leveling was centered around hunting down groups, traveling, and running my sorry ass from zone to zone.

If you are looking at hypercasual 30 min stretches as most of your playtime, don't do a tank. go Shaman, necro

I have sunk about 150k in my twink warrior and I'm only about half way there. Sk does not require nearly that much since aggro comes in a spell book for them.
Closed Thread