Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 11:05 PM
Fire Giant

One problem is that you are in Velious. Try leveling in the old world or even Kunark, where the monsters aren't as beastly and ideally somewhere there's an exp bonus.

Also, get a staff of battle and just sell the veno axe and pick up something with a better ratio.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:39 AM
Fire Giant

Play the character you wanna play, don't let the haters try to change your mind. My Warrior's got some cool stuff but I don't go boasting about it, I just take hits and bring a bunch of exp piñatas in for everyone, preferably in a steady stream!

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Planar Protector

just xp in classic zones if youre having trouble, the xp is better.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

If you enjoy the class, play it. Gear comes with time - don’t worry about the cost. Save your coin for the modest upgrades that matter the most: 21% haste or more and a pair of threat weapons. After that the rest will take care of itself, especially if and when you find a guild.

Level compared to what you are fighting matters a lot more than gear. I found tanking to be most lucrative when you opt to hang around in an area dominated by low blues with a few scattered high greens compare to hunting strictly blue con areas where you frequently go toe to toe with mobs within 1-4 levels of you.

From the Standpoint of a non-twink also realize that warriors are not always a DUO friendly class. Druids and cleric direct heals in the presence of untwined warrior dps can be a drain. On top of that, some of your competition for tanking job can help offset downtime with self healing potential. Rangers/paladins can Med and help self heal between fights and SKs can also tap during the fight thus decreasing med down-time.

If you add in a single high dps class and efficiency goes up. Depending on level, partnering with a shaman is actually more lucrative as slows are just that powerful.

PS: unless you just want adventure/fun, avoid level hunting in velious. With very few exceptions hunting old world and kunark is more lucrative.

For the guy stuck at 48: I did dreadlands wall. On both my warrior and paladin I’d log in prepared to slowly solo easy yard trash with the plan of finding a healer to duo with. With a rings in the zone it never took me more than a few minutes to find a 39-49 Druid more than happy to duo some xp. If you luck out and land a shaman duo partner it’s a gravy train.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 04-09-2019 at 09:36 AM..
Old 04-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Velious is bad xp because mobs hit harder and have more hp. It's not just you that gets their butt kicked. Do classic and kunark unless there's a camp you want. Focus on hp and dex items followed by ac. AC is great against low atk targets but hp will scale against everything.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

For what it’s worth until level 50 I approached every login session with the expectation that I would be wandering around solo. I filled my bags with bandages and sought out hunting locations where I knew could start a fight at 50% and survive 99% of the time. Hunting areas got massive bonus points if there was a vendor somewhat close that sold bandages.

It was slow going at times but was also fun knowing I could be self sufficient on a class that traditionally is anything but. The biggest perk to having this mindset is that when I inevitably found a partner it helped me really appreciate some of the under appreciated classes. Piddly druid heals and thorns? Why yes thank you! A wizard with terrible sustained dps but nukes that cut our fight time dramatically (time fighting = hp lost = time lost bandaging)? Hell yeah ... why not?!? I met a lot of good friends along the way.

I always actively sought out partners, partial groups, or full groups. When I couldn’t, I at least had something productive to do. Keeping bind wound maxed as I leveled was also worth its weight in gold. I still carry stacks of bandages at 60 and they still come in handy.

Forcing yourself to roll solo periodically also really helps you to understand your capabilities and limitations as you climb in levels.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 04-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

Great post Troxx. I tried to do similar on Jimjam. For what it's worth I found the axe of the slayers to be great in the 30s. Rampage is one hell of a proc when fighting low blues at that level. It was less dps, but I had zero downtime after most fights.

OP mentions fighting Tizmaks. If fighting beastmen is your thing try South karana.

As has already been stated Velious is way overtuned for its level or the gear you will wear.

I don't want to be a complete downer on Velious; if you are duoing with a Druid then fear/charm kiting Cougars works well. ToFS, EW Orc fort, crystal caverns and velks are all fun zones. Just don't go expecting to chain kill whites.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:08 AM
Planar Protector

Tizmak’s are very tough for their level. Half of them are shamans with sow.

Like Troxx said, kill the easier stuff. Get a Staff of Battle and maybe head to HHk. Ask if you can train up the skill while waiting for a group.

Kill low blues in a high ZEM zone. I was in unrest with my pally soloing to 40. 45 in sol a off gnomebots. Go with volume kills, not impressive ones. Fine steel is your lifeblood...loot it all and sell it for upgraded gear.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:29 AM
Banned

Since this is a warrior thread, I figured I'd throw this in:

Level Bind Wound in Lavastorm Mountains.

Find a little spot of lava and step in it, then walk out at like 15% HP. Bandage. Repeat.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Sarnak

Dino man that's some solid bind wound advice! Excellent idea
Closed Thread