Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Fire Giant

Default Thanksgiving: Your reaction to this article as americans

http://www.alternet.org/news/148991/...g/?page=entire

I thought it was cool but I want to see your reaction.

Does this make you all butthurt and defensive or do you agree to some degree?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

I laugh at people who just have to criticize everything.

Sounds like a bunch of whining by the losing side to me, to purposely put it bluntly.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Planar Protector

Fact: nobody alive today participated in killing the Indians under the premise of Manifest Destiny. Therefore, we cannot be held accountable for the actions of those that did.

Truthfully, the theme of this holiday is moving away from pilgrims and Indians, anyway.

Today, it's about family and tradition.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

It's just another story proving the English (not Americans, because NO ONE from my family is from that cesspool of inbreeding and bad teeth, and I live in the US) are a bunch of power-hungry assholes.

Around here, Thanksgiving is a lot of screaming and arguing, and turkey.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Aviak

Not butthurt. The author sounds like one of those people that just likes to argue and will always jump at the chance to argue from a minority position. Besides, who gives a shit? Thanksgiving has about as much to do with Pilgrims and natives as Christmas has to do with the jeebus. It's just an excuse to see family.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not butthurt. The author sounds like one of those people that just likes to argue and will always jump at the chance to argue from a minority position. Besides, who gives a shit?
I was going to post this. Then I realized someone already had, in pretty much the exact words I would have used. Also for the record, I didn't even need to read the article. Once you've seen enough whiny bitches, they tend to get a bit predictable.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fact: nobody alive today participated in killing the Indians under the premise of Manifest Destiny. Therefore, we cannot be held accountable for the actions of those that did.
True, and in this day and age i doubt many do
most take part in the thanksgiving holiday as just another american holiday
ie, like anyone else.. its an excuse for the day off and have a big meal with family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Truthfully, the theme of this holiday is moving away from pilgrims and Indians, anyway.

Today, it's about family and tradition and God.
Fixt
To me thanksgiving seems to be merging itself in closer to christmas year after year versus staying strictly an american holiday
1) you say grace before the meal
2) you give thanks to god for w/e
3) you dress up as if your going to church lol
4) xmas music starts!
Im suprised the church hasnt found a way in on this and put their spin on it yet

America has to many holidays imo, alot of people dont even understand or know exactly what half of them mean.. or even care
there is a holiday at least once a month and we practically have a holiday for everything under the sun eg, mothers day/fathers day and a flurry of others (international womens day really?)
then you also add in anniversaries/birthdays and everything family inbetween and its no wonder people are left with a vague idea of what holidays are about

imo, the ultimate goal is to: spend spend spend fuck relevance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once you've seen enough whiny bitches, they tend to get a bit predictable.
imo, predictability can be flipped when discussing history
to quote the article as an example:
the world's great powers achieved "greatness" through criminal brutality on a grand scale is not news, of course. That those same societies are reluctant to highlight this history of barbarism also is predictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like a bunch of whining by the losing side to me, to purposely put it bluntly.
I dont see anything in that article to indicate that Robert Jenson is native american

As a native american i dont really care
i dont hold or play the history card because of something that happened generations ago.
and under that same reasoning i dont expect people to play the apology card
or for anyone to feel the need to express remorse/shame/guilt
I will continue to celebrate thanksgiving under the premise of 2 parties sharing a meal. which is what i will be doing

I wont do anything for Columbus Day tho besides take the day off like everyone else
ya'll can celebrate that one and do whatever it is you do
Old 11-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Fire Giant

i'm adopted, i don't know who my biological parents are or what their ethnicity is. i'm always frankly a bit insulted when someone tries to tack blame on me for something that my "ancestors" did when I don't even know who my "ancestors" are.

the whole concept of sharing responsibility (both good, and bad!) for what your e.g. parents, grandparents and so forth did before you even existed has frankly always felt a little preposterous to me.

it's the same kind of feeling i get when someone expresses pride in a sports team that they favor, or malice toward a team they don't favor. like when japan won the world cup and everyone on facebook was saying LOL WE STILL NUKED U AND WON etc. what a bunch of assclowns, you didn't win any wars, you didn't nuke anyone, not that turning tens of thousands of civilians into an obsidian basin is anything to take pride in. riding on coattails imo. rant is over now.
Last edited by pickled_heretic; 11-28-2011 at 11:59 AM..
Old 11-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Fire Giant

i get the same feeling about people from texas. everyone rides around in huge trucks w/ truck nuts and wears cowboy hats and talks about being self sufficient when in truth 98% of those people live in the city / suburbs and are completely reliant on the grid and social institutions for every convenience of their lives.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

Today, it's about family and tradition.
this is exactly what i was going to say
Falisaty Shagswell mage of 10 winters
"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that, with it, thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." Armaments 2:9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmakos View Post
my dick would look huge in her hand
Closed Thread