Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dont see anything in that article to indicate that Robert Jenson is native american

As a native american i dont really care
i dont hold or play the history card because of something that happened generations ago.
and under that same reasoning i dont expect people to play the apology card
or for anyone to feel the need to express remorse/shame/guilt
I will continue to celebrate thanksgiving under the premise of 2 parties sharing a meal. which is what i will be doing

I wont do anything for Columbus Day tho besides take the day off like everyone else
ya'll can celebrate that one and do whatever it is you do
I should clarify what I meant: He sounds like he's using the whining of those who like to bring up past atrocities (typically those of native american descent) in order to perpetuate the anti-american sentiment that's become all too popular.

Have you seen this guy's other articles? He's the kind of professor that quite frankly scares me. Young people are listening to him and believing him. College kids have a scary tendency to believe every word of their professors, and this guy seems to be one of those far-left anti-american professors I greatly dislike and who I think do way more harm than good.

http://www.alternet.org/authors/4690/

Look at some of those other articles. Wtf. I really feel bad for any students that have to put up with him.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

Frame shifting doesn't change absolute philosophy.

Today's "far left" professors are yesteryear's "moderate conservatives."

Just because the hardline christian right says a moderate is a pinko commie bastard doesn't make it so.

That guy is about as "far left" as Mr. Rogers.

You people are terribad.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Planar Protector

Hmm the past has passed and I don't think this sort of thing is all that important anymore. We should teach the real (complete) history of Thanksgiving, but there are more pressing MODERN matters.

Like animal genocide as a thanksgiving tradition.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Truth Send a message via AIM to Truth Send a message via MSN to Truth Send a message via Yahoo to Truth

animals were designed by god to be mass produced slaughtered eaten and turned into gator boots
Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frame shifting doesn't change absolute philosophy.

Today's "far left" professors are yesteryear's "moderate conservatives."

Just because the hardline christian right says a moderate is a pinko commie bastard doesn't make it so.

You people are terribad.
Is he one of those people that keeps apologizing for america and history, and constantly bringing up race? He seems to, and that's far-left.

I mean wtf, he's criticizing Thanksgiving!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Truth Send a message via AIM to Truth Send a message via MSN to Truth Send a message via Yahoo to Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bible™ Genesis 9:3 ASV
Every moving thing that liveth shall be food for you; As the green herb have I given you all.
http://bible.cc/genesis/9-3.htm
Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Planar Protector

My reaction is I'm rolling my eyes, stopped reading about a paragraph in, and don't really give a fuck.

Thanksgiving is a day where I don't have to work and I can gorge and play Everquest till I lapse into a food coma. I don't give a fuck about how many people died 400 years ago and can just take the holiday at surface value of being grateful for the fact that I can eat a delicious turkey dinner instead of starving to death in a third world country.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Planar Protector

also this reminds me of this swedish guy I know who is really into viking death metal and talks about how THE DAMN CHRISTIANS TOOK HIS LAND AND KILLED HIS VIKING ANCESTORS (hundreds of years ago)

When you cite something that deep into the past as justification for your annoying crappy attitude and whining, then you need a reality check. No one cares in 2011.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://www.alternet.org/news/148991/...g/?page=entire

I thought it was cool but I want to see your reaction.

Does this make you all butthurt and defensive or do you agree to some degree?
the only reason i disagree with the article is because we, including myself, do not intentionally celebrate the events the article is condemning. the holiday may have originated in that fashion, but americans are only celebrating family time and a day off from work.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the only reason i disagree with the article is because we, including myself, do not intentionally celebrate the events the article is condemning. the holiday may have originated in that fashion, but americans are only celebrating family time and a day off from work.
Yeah - it's funny when people think they're making some poignant, intellectual point by pointing out that some tradition has some dark associations and therefore somehow it's 100% integrated into that dark association.

"Remember, when you're just eating Turkey and hugging your family that you haven't seen since last Christmas, you're actually drinking the blood of the natives of the land and spitting on their graves. Americans should change the holiday into a day of mourning where everyone cuts themselves and weeps over how horrible they are because their ancestors did something evil."

I think the problem is the author just has an extra large stick up his butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a bit of a misstatement - he's definitely left-leaning, but not all that much. It's just viewing history within a certain scope without putting blinders on or idealizing historical figures. Some of his #'s are off, though.

Plenty of Libertarians also think Abe Lincoln was one of the worst presidents in history. I'm sympathetic to the view because when you really dig at all the expanses of power Abe used - most without the real intent of "freeing the slaves" or enhancing liberty. He just wanted to maintain the union, even if by force. Hitler praised Lincoln for recognizing, as he believed, that the Union was the Father and the States were its children and therefore subject to it - not vice versa. Lincoln was a very early Fascist in a tremendous amount of ways. And he paved the road for so many after him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Last edited by Messianic; 12-02-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Closed Thread