Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by radda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
naive
no u
Old 11-24-2023, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

All I wanted was a Fungi, just one Fungi
Old 11-24-2023, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All I wanted was a Fungi, just one Fungi
far from suicidal still i get them tendies
Old 11-24-2023, 02:44 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nah, it was just 1 fungi

the CSR got friendly with zaide on their player character and started feeding him CSR stuff

zaide narc'd and was awarded the fungi publicly...it was more or less to set the tone that CSR shenanigans wont be tolerated
Patently false info. Also, no one has a fungi anymore, poor decision on our part.

Though we got a good meme out of it:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 11-24-2023, 03:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Patently false info. Also, no one has a fungi anymore, poor decision on our part.

Though we got a good meme out of it:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Poor Decision?

Seriously?
Old 11-24-2023, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

damn i want this server to succeed but what a giant red flag

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 11-24-2023, 04:57 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Poor Decision?

Seriously?
Before the server launched we said that anyone who outed a CSR would receive a Fungi tunic, and the person in question would be given the choice of stopping either playing or CSR'ing, one of the two.

Zaide outed a CSR's personal identity and the CSR was given that choice. They stayed on the staff and were later removed from the team for unrelated reasons upon an secondary, unrelated investigation.
This fungi tunic 'accusation' came to light a month after it had happened as someone inspected Zaide's character, after we had rewarded them for outing someone who betrayed our trust internally.

From my perspective, it removed someone who betrayed our trust, and the incentive worked as it was intended.
Players did not like the incentive. We listened to them, heard out their concerns. I disagree with not keeping that incentive in still.

We have since dialed back the reward to a multi word surname (title) of the players' choice for outing a CSR, and the punishment for the team member in question is now to have the CSR removed entirely.
I expected people to have concerns about the entire thing because it involved an unobtainable item, and it was exacerbated by the fact that it was given to the guild leader of a prominent guild, who also joked about the reward publicly, which many have quoted without the context.

Personally, I don't give a single fuck what folks think about us. I'm not stopping the server because someone 'exposed' something that we did in plain sight and have talked about on the Discord and Twitch repeatedly since launch. But, I think it's also important to disclose factual information surrounding the fiction said about us.

From this forum's perspective, it's not expected that anyone would understand the facts surrounding the situation. P99 players play on P99. Most don't keep up with this server. That's understandable that people will make their own conclusions from Tiktok-tier sources as a way to justify tribalism. For example, I was told that there would be a group of players attempting to discredit us because they didn't want to leave Green. That's their decision to play where they want. But don't harass us over it.

Let me tell you this: both servers hate that shit. I delete comments made about P99's staff on our Discord all the time. Our server isn't a safe space for that kind of drama.

We all just want to make a cool game to play. We're transparent as fuck because I learned if we aren't, we'll get even more wild accusations thrown against us than this. And I still try and respond to our accusations, no matter how wild... it's easier for people to make conclusions with all the facts available.

Last edited by Secrets; 11-24-2023 at 04:59 PM..
Old 11-24-2023, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally, I don't give a single fuck what folks think about us. I'm not stopping the server because someone 'exposed' something that we did in plain sight and have talked about on the Discord and Twitch repeatedly since launch. But, I think it's also important to disclose factual information surrounding the fiction said about us.

From this forum's perspective, it's not expected that anyone would understand the facts surrounding the situation. P99 players play on P99. Most don't keep up with this server. That's understandable that people will make their own conclusions from Tiktok-tier sources as a way to justify tribalism. For example, I was told that there would be a group of players attempting to discredit us because they didn't want to leave Green. That's their decision to play where they want. But don't harass us over it.
You made a thread on the p99 forums to promote another emu server of roughly the same timeframe. You're free to give no fucks but expect some critiques. I'm a big fan of the work you did here so don't take it personal.

The reason fungigate is a big turn off is because it comes accross like some kids who finally got the keys to dad's car and decided to go do donuts with it in a parkinglot, and it's indicative of what to expect in the future. I want my GM's utterly mysterious and barely present except when completely necessary. I understand it was meant to actually strengthen confidence in the CSR staff, and hopefully it worked to do that.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:06 PM
Banned

Drama on a popular server is inevitable. This isn't the first time or the last time for PQ will have a saga of drama. My humble suggestion to PQ's dev team is that path forward is remaining resolute, continue to innovate, prioritizing health/wellness, and steadfast transparency. Lastly though pick your battles and this one doesn't need further explanation.

We're seeing in real time why devs often times will evolve to create a layered org where they no long have to deal directly with the player base unless they choose to.

For instance, Ooloo if you haven't played on PQ then you might be bringing p99 philosophy expectations to that server and culturally that would be a mistake if you wanted to wield p99 philosophy within a PQ situation. PQ philosophy has been different from the get go and has included ways to have a smaller CSR team. PQ's CSR team evolving to deal with internal issues is a good thing from a player standpoint.

My assessment of Ooloo's critique is that it is kind of wildly all over the place and slightly / overtly personal while claiming it isn't personal. If you had constructive criticism that'd be one thing, but I suggest you re-read what you wrote. Then imagine you were in charge of an Everquest project serving thousands of players simultaneously. What would you think of what you wrote if you knew it was from someone who claimed they didn't play on the server that was being discussed. If PQ hadn't grabbed your attention already then trying to please a player like that would not be best use of a dev's time.

I have said in the past I think Project Quarm has had some bumps and perhaps this is another minor one. It appears the lesson on this one was learned fast and PQ's dev team responded appropriately. I doubt it'll impact PQ's long term success.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:09 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You made a thread on the p99 forums to promote another emu server of roughly the same timeframe. You're free to give no fucks but expect some critiques. I'm a big fan of the work you did here so don't take it personal.

The reason fungigate is a big turn off is because it comes accross like some kids who finally got the keys to dad's car and decided to go do donuts with it in a parkinglot, and it's indicative of what to expect in the future. I want my GM's utterly mysterious and barely present except when completely necessary. I understand it was meant to actually strengthen confidence in the CSR staff, and hopefully it worked to do that.
I'm expecting criticism, part of bidirectional public communication means that it's a part of that. Obviously, people will cross lines occasionally against us, this doesn't feel like a line crossing to have legitimate concerns, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't reply at all.

Game developers being emotionless has never made sense to me as a game developer and game player. I'm a person, I will have opinions as our players do. I'm human, and I make mistakes, as everyone else does. I wear those mistakes on behalf of the server as I do my success; out in public, on my chest.

Closed Thread