Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agreed. SKs get a LOT of nice procs, so you should be stacking DEX on an SK regardless. I try to tune my gear towards DEX as much as possible. But obviously wait until you start getting some good proc weapons. At your level there isn't really anything worthwhile, so getting STR is going to be the best pair with your Ebon Mace.
Yeah i'm currently geared towards AC, HP, and Strength in approximately that order. I can't really see any very worthwhile proc weapons available to SK that aren't from raids. Frostbite is nice, but not good enough to stop using ebon mace even once I'm high enough to proc it. Wavecrasher is fancy, but my duo partner is a shaman, and i'm not rich. However if dex had affected vampiric embrace (which already procs quite a bit) I'd be pretty interested in gearing for dex because the ratio of hp gain to loss over like an hour is what determines the size of a camp my little duo can hold.
Last edited by radbeard; 11-20-2020 at 02:56 PM..
Old 11-20-2020, 07:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbeard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah i'm currently geared towards AC, HP, and Strength in approximately that order. I can't really see any very worthwhile proc weapons available to SK that aren't from raids. Frostbite is nice, but not good enough to stop using ebon mace even once I'm high enough to proc it. Wavecrasher is fancy, but my duo partner is a shaman, and i'm not rich. However if dex had affected vampiric embrace (which already procs quite a bit) I'd be pretty interested in gearing for dex because the ratio of hp gain to loss over like an hour is what determines the size of a camp my little duo can hold.
I agree that many of the good proc weapons are raid exclusive, but not all.

1. Earthshaker - good for killing mobs in an aoe fashion. Shamans and Shadowknights do not get a lot of aoe, so this could be useful when farming lower level mobs for something.

2. Deadwood Stave - Since you probably arent getting epic, vp weapons, or sky sword, this is your go to for a direct life drain proc. Could be useful for saving Shaman mana on healing.

3. Jourmeymans Walking Stick - extra MR reduction on the mob, unresistable.

4. Greenmist - Closest thing to your Epic you can get if you are an Iksar, no raiding requited. Helps with healing.

5. Soul Binder - DoT Life tap. Helps with healing.

6. Narandi's Lance - Free DoT with decent damage.

7. Embalmers skinning knife - summons bandages. Great for saving mana on healing while under 50% HP.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:26 PM
Sarnak

i guess the life procs value depends how much damage i'm responsible for. like soul binder is 105 life gain, but by that level if the fight goes on long enough that I take even one single extra hit it was probably a net loss. But if i'm tanking for a full group and my dps is negligible this seems like a nice tool.

I should probably get a skinning knife though. certainly training up bind wound so my shaman can canni recover us quicker.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbeard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i guess the life procs value depends how much damage i'm responsible for. like soul binder is 105 life gain, but by that level if the fight goes on long enough that I take even one single extra hit it was probably a net loss. But if i'm tanking for a full group and my dps is negligible this seems like a nice tool.

I should probably get a skinning knife though. certainly training up bind wound so my shaman can canni recover us quicker.
The lifetap procs are good when the mob is running, since you won't lose any hp from tanking. When your Shaman gets their pet, you could also have the doggo tank until it gets semi low on life. No reason to keep the pet at full health.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:15 PM
Planar Protector

On a Shadow Knight I recommend gearing for dex on an as-needed basis, especially if you're usually with a Shaman which brings its own powerful DEX buffs. Many of the go-to Shadow Knight weapons have no specials at all, Noc blade, Reaver, Massive Dragonclaw Shard, Ebon Mace, etc. Even those which do don't necessarily warrant striving for maximum dexterity.

--With Soul Binder (or the Zealot's sword), specifically, you don't want TOO much dexterity because additional procs while the effect is running will reset the effect to its minimum tick. Hence quick strings of back to back procs go largely wasted. The Shaman's dexterity buff plus whatever you normally have should suffice for that weapon.

--The effect from Narandi's Lance lasts so long that dexterity doesn't help all that much aside from getting it on a little sooner. Once it's going just about any amount of DEX should suffice to keep it going.

--My experience using Innoruuk's Curse is that ~200 dexterity suffices and going to 255 isn't all that much better; mostly it means refreshing it with maybe 2-3 ticks left instead of 0-1. Better, just not a lot. Because of that I don't always double-stack the wife's DEX buffs if I need buff space for something else. This would be even more pronounced with Greenmist since that weapon's effect lasts even longer.

--If you use the skinning knife, most the time you'll proc it against green /con trash and stock up that way. Low dexterity here just means you take a little longer.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 11-20-2020 at 08:17 PM..
Old 11-21-2020, 06:59 AM
Sarnak

all great advice. ty.
Closed Thread