Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Sarnak

Default Can't get past server select unless I use a VPN

Hello, so I have this issue where I can connect to the login server just fine, but when I select server and hit enter, the screen freezes for about 20 seconds then pops back to username/pass screen. Yes, my internet connection is fast enough, that is not the problem. But when I connect with my 4g phone hotspot, I have no problems. I figured this was some sort of IP issue, so I downloaded a free VPN and connected first try no problem with my regular internet.

Anyone ever hear of this issue?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Planar Protector

You're likely using an ISP supplied router and it has overly aggressive firewall settings enabled. That would explain why it works via hotspot or VPN. As to how to change that - it depends on your ISP and the router in question. I would hope their site explains how to alter the settings.

Some examples:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...teway-features

https://www.verizon.com/support/resi...y/home-network

Check the support site for your ISP, or if you're not using an ISP-supplied router, look into the settings on whatever you have.

-Mcoy
Old 11-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Sarnak

I see, but doesn't the VPN connection still have to go through my router?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Planar Protector

Yes, but when connecting via VPN your traffic is 1. encrypted and 2. going out on a standard port such as 443. EQ uses a wider range of ports:

From EQEMU:

7000-7500
7778 (chatserver on this ?)
9000-9001

Most ISP routers block all incoming/outgoing traffic except the widely used ports such as 53, 80, 443, etc. Their firewalls usually default to a "medium" setting that does this. Dropping it to low will still prevent random incoming connections, but will allow your outbound traffic to flow.

Otherwise, set up specific rules in your firewall to allow outbound traffic via these ports. I can't provide specific instructions as it varies per model, so check your ISP or router manufacturer's website.

-Mcoy