Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you live in one of America's inner cities?
Yes, I live in a but I got inner city 41 18.55%
Yes, I live in a crime infested inner city 35 15.84%
Yes, I live in a burning crime infested inner city 33 14.93%
Bush burned the crime infested towers 153 69.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Aviak

The "ism" in racism means something. Specifically, it's the key differentiator between racism and mere bigotry or prejudice.

Tropes are tools for artistic expression. Comparing something done for artistic performance with something done by an edgy frat brat at Halloween is intellectually dishonest.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:29 PM
Aviak

Can't disagree with the Jewish millionaire who wants to use the lobbying power of other Jewish millionaires to stifle your free speech. That would be anti-Semitic. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-25-2019, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you not see how the same exact thing is done with blackface?

Use a black disguise as a vehicle to do whatever. Are you aware most people that have done black face have attempted to do it for this reason?

Do you think poor middle easterners enjoy borats portrayal of them as backwards racist non sensical trash?
I don't believe I communicated any position on how I feel about black face. You're right it can be used for all sorts of reasons. I think Mitchell and Webb didnit particularly well!

Cohen indeed was unpopular with a few populations for the Borat movie, particularly those from where he recorded the 'Kazakhstan' scenes (incidentally not in Kazakhstan, which was historically a Soviet Block country. One of my history classmates father had something to do with running the electricity company there iirc, perhaps an Oligarch. The boy was an excellent Rugby player. Didn't match the stereotype too well, but you can't expect someone of this background to. He wasn't an ethnic Kazac, his heritage was Russian. I knew a lot of 'Ali G' types, who bought into the American hiphop culture. The irony is their dads were all loaded so they largely lived the lifestyle those rappers fantasized about (minus the homicide. Largely, this was the start of the knife crime era)

Contemporary blackface is seen as distastful as the perception is it tends to reinforce instead of deconstruct stereotypes.

By the way Tepplar, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it to you before, but your conversation style on Forums, to me at least, sometimes comes across as rather confrontational, as if you're attacking a person based on assumptions you've made about them. I appreciate that compared to face to face discourse a lot of communication is lost over text, despite the best efforts of our friends the emoticons.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do we really want to dissect all the ways he mocked Kazakhstan? Wasn’t a big joke in that movie about them fucking their brothers and sisters?
He was mocking those he interviewed, and even, yes us, the viewer, for so easily falling for a stereotype that Kaziks are impoverished, incestuous, antisemetic middle eastern ignorami.

Edit: i missed out goatfucking sodomites.

Of course these traits Cohen poured onto Kazikhstan were largely coldreading and embellishments of our own false prejudices of 'others'.

It was rather damaging, especially as many didn't get the 'joke'.
Last edited by Jimjam; 11-25-2019 at 12:35 PM..
Old 11-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I’m just an opponent of racism and bigotry in all its forms.
Quote:
I highly doubt anyone was systematically killed.

The US had concentration camps just like Germany for their foreign populations. The difference? The allies won the war and could continue to feed their prisoners. The axis were losing on multiple fronts and had supply lines cut off. The Germans couldn’t even feed their own soldiers by the end of the war let alone POWs. Any burning that happened had to do with disinfecting from typhus. Somehow that turned into propaganda about mass burnings alive.

Reality- Auschwitz "holocaust survivor" interviews, in their own words... watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enDkqO1OKCc

Orchestras

Painting

Sports

Medical care

Ballet

Beer

Movie theaters

etc.

Was it a “extermination camp"? Or a POW camp where people died towards the end of the war due to starvation and disease? By all realistic accounts German POWs were treated extremely well by POW standards and they tried to keep them alive as long as possible. Hence why all the death pictures of them are skin and bones. Gassing a person doesn’t magically make you skin and bones. That’s what starving does and the Germans were cut off from supply lines. Same thing would of happened to US prisoners if we lost.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Banned

That’s not how it works Jim. Most people doing blackface weren’t trying to directly mock black people but it horrendously mocked them none the less. Sounds like you don't know any history of black face. Allow me to educate you. Watch Howard Stern and Sara Silverman do blackface and see what it's all about-

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Now I'll show you how you are a hypocrite further with those viewpoints Jim. Imagine the shoe on the other foot.

Imagine someone not jewish doing the most offensive jewish stereotypes possible while dressing up as them. Real venomous stuff. Pushing them as controlling everything with money, pedophiles, subversive but if the main joke is on interviewer, it's all kosher? This would not fly in Hollywood. Anything remotely anti semitic gets destroyed and never sees the light of day. Try and figure out why the double standard exists and what Sasha Cohen is doing.
Last edited by Teppler; 11-25-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Old 11-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayso2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The "ism" in racism means something. Specifically, it's the key differentiator between racism and mere bigotry or prejudice.

Tropes are tools for artistic expression. Comparing something done for artistic performance with something done by an edgy frat brat at Halloween is intellectually dishonest.
Unfortunately artistic expression is subjective. I think the obvious point here is that when you are taking someones point under consideration, you need to figure out where there own morale lands.

Is it very hypocritical for Cohen to call out media and specifically breitbart when there are leftist news organizations that do the exact same thing? Yes. Is it ironic for him to act as though he is the whistleblower and white knight when he has ruined peoples lives through his TV series and movies? Yes. We should not be taking advice from Cohen. He is good at comedy, he isn't good at dictating which way the nation should be lead or any beacon of moral fairness.

If you haven't watched all of his content from the original Ali G series on HBO to his movies, the guy has hit bigotry in every form. Made fun of gays - Check. Made fun of jews and gypsies. Check. Made fun of the middle east. Check. Made fun of Africa and had a child shipped through the airport as a joke. Check.

I think the thing Teppler is asking for is consistency. If something is racist, it is racist across the board and still only subject to your opinion.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Real venomous stuff. Pushing them as controlling everything with money, pedophiles, subversive but if the main joke is on interviewer, it's all kosher? This would not fly in Hollywood. Anything remotely anti semitic gets destroyed and never sees the light of day. Try and figure out why the double standard exists and what Sasha Cohen is doing.
And on this day, young Teppler first discovered the concept of satire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallzDeep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is it very hypocritical for Cohen to call out media and specifically breitbart when there are leftist news organizations that do the exact same thing?
For an enlightened centrist you spend an unusual amount of time defending the reputations of race-baiting, far-right websites like Breitbart.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallzDeep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the thing Teppler is asking for is consistency.

What's that called?
Old 11-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Banned

Yes black face is satire and disgusting outdated one at that. Doesn’t surprise me Horza doesn’t really understand the problem with it.
Closed Thread