Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Orc

Default Heard that velious will be the last expansion, is this true?

Heard this the other night in a group I was with. Is this a "set in stone" deal or is this just a proposed stopping point?

I'm still happy with what the server provides, but it would be sad to know I won't be able to enjoy the Plane of Time or Vex Thall =/
Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Aviak

Dat's da fact Jack.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Aviak

It better be!?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31014

Luclin definitely won't be put in. Velious is the planned stopping point but Nilbog hints that there may be custom development after this point.

But thats just speculation, Velious *most likely* will be the stopping point of this server however.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Fire Giant

Someone actually enjoyed Vex Thall?

Down with the Blobs!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Kobold

POP was the transition from "content blocked by content" to "content blocked by key". This key concept found in POP required players and guilds to sacrifice an exorbitant amount of time fighting the same content over and over to key their members. The time wasted on keying guildies meant less time enjoying other aspects of the game. Players were expected to sacrifice and commit substantial amounts of RL time just to get properly keyed. The game no longer was about skill, gearing, and strategy but only about how many people you could get to login every single night of the week. (It became more of a task/job then anything else. Prior to POP being a casual raider was entirely feasible. During POP being a casual raiding guild was much more difficult. Causal players in general were filtered out of high end raiding guilds and only those players who could offer the most time raiding were able to progress. This meant that even non-casual gamers who enjoyed other aspects of the game had to sacrifice those aspects just to key themselves.

Prior to POP content was blocked by strategy, skill, gear and generally content. This is what is meant by content blocked by content. To illustrate an example consider NTOV. You only had to to kill Aaryonar(One of the more formidable dragons) to gain access into into NTOV. For that matter TOV in general offered other opportunities aside from NTOV. West and East wing's had quests and each had a dragon of their own. Content prior to POP was not linear but allowed guilds and players to chose directions which suited them. The options were far more open. POP there was only 1 direction.

Prior to POP major key quests, like VP, were mostly an enjoyable single groupable quest. In general prior to POP key quests were mostly groupable, enjoyable, and fun. ST and VP key quests were short and sweet, raiding guilds could key people frequently and ST was not an end all be all raiding zone like TOV was(Which was completley open to anyone lvl 55+)

EQ prior to POP offered more then just raiding. Exping, grouping, exploring and questing were all highly rewarding. Qualitatively POP was a degredation from vellious and even luclin(which I still took some issues with).

In Kunark and Vellious end content is paralell offering saught after raid targets across zones globally. POP on the other hand was linear with everyone fighting in the same direction. Everyone fighting over the same key mobs. For example it's very common for NTOV equipped guild to still go back and do planar gods. In POP there was only 1 place anyone cared to be, Time. This meant that most raid targets after guilds were time keyed were left idle and unused as their loot was not as interesting and the time invested just to clear to worthy targets exceeded the reward.

Criticisms of POP vs Kunark/vellious could go on. Kunark Vellious offered zones like Old Seb, Crypt, Chardok, Crystal Caverns and so on and so forth. Single group encounters in Vellious/Kunark/Classic were top notch. Dungeon's were huge and elaborate(Think SOLB, and Old Seb). For the most part POP zones were not.

Luclin to an extent was bad enough with it's VT key quest and lack of good dungeon crawling but other then that the raid encounters prior to VT were fairly interesting. I am however completely content with Vellious being the last expansion. IMHO POP was a huge step back. It didn't add to the original game but took away from it and changed it.

You have to understand that EQ was a different game prior to POP/luclin. While you started EQ around that era you weren't playing the same game that many of us hold strong nostalgia over.

OFC this is all my opinion and it is how I feel about the matter. Take it for what it's worth.
Last edited by beaon; 04-12-2011 at 06:46 PM..
Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Sarnak

Classic, Kunark and Velious are largely considered to be the epitome of the Classic EQ experience. Thank you to Project 1999 for keeping that vision.

Don't forget, there are plenty of other servers that host those other expansions to get your fix!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx

It's gonna be funny to see the hype already starting to build for Velious around here.

With all the talk and excitement of Kunark over the last 4+ months, I for one had completely forgotten about Velious or any other expansion for a while there.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Kobold

I hope it stops at Velious
Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I can feel myself being trained at AoW already....ahhhh.