Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting. Could you point out which line you would change?

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server
Leash distance is set in DB - point > click > ##

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Leash distance is set in DB - point > click > ##
point > click > ##? I'm glad we don't work together.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

"Thoughts on end game raiding"

It sucks here and you will waste lots of 16 hours at a time of your life on essentially nothing...

I would suggest a more healthy hobby
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
point > click > ##? I'm glad we don't work together.
I'm glad we don't

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/wiki...ttacks#Leashed

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That’s not even remotely the point.

You don’t point, click, and change values in a DB. Regardless of whether your IDE allows for it, you don’t do it. You write a script so you can promote the same change you intend through all environments, and so your colleagues know what you did without jumping through hoops.

No change takes 30 minutes in IT. There’s testing, review, deployment, etc., and this all assumes you have good requirements. Even in this case: what mobs leash? Guards too? How far? You have a list with their PK’s for the script?

You’re suffering from “shit’s easy” syndrome if you think anything gets done that fast properly.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That’s not even remotely the point.

You don’t point, click, and change values in a DB. Regardless of whether your IDE allows for it, you don’t do it. You write a script so you can promote the same change you intend through all environments, and so your colleagues know what you did without jumping through hoops.

No change takes 30 minutes in IT. There’s testing, review, deployment, etc., and this all assumes you have good requirements. Even in this case: what mobs leash? Guards too? How far? You have a list with their PK’s for the script?

You’re suffering from “shit’s easy” syndrome if you think anything gets done that fast properly.

Dude, no wonder this server took 5 years to release velious if they work like you do.
There is literally a handful of raid zones in the game that need intimidate attention, and like 2 dozen raid mods. You obviously don't release things untested, but problem such as - pulling raid bosses to zone line in zone A is solved in 3 min.

[Zuranthium;1453395]
Old 02-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Dude, no wonder this server took 5 years to release velious if they work like you do.
There is literally a handful of raid zones in the game that need intimidate attention, and like 2 dozen raid mods. You obviously don't release things untested, but problem such as - pulling raid bosses to zone line in zone A is solved in 3 min.
STFU nerd! That other nerd seems to know what he is talking about.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
It's not just testing.

There are even more considerations you're ignoring. For instance, they intend to release another server at some point. You want them to just flip values in a tool of choice instead of writing a script? Hopefully this one gets remembered.

When a change is promoted, in source control it likely needs to be flagged:
  • This is a bug that should never have been on P99 and could go in with the release of a new server.
  • This is P99 Custom Content (the change you're suggesting)
  • This is being released as part of a patch Verant released in the original timeline

I have no idea how they're doing it, but I would take this sort of stuff into consideration, and this is off the top of my head. They've had time to give this more thought, and there is likely more rigor around it than for which I'm giving credit.

It's not a 30 minute, or as you now say 3 minute change. There is no such thing. What you're giving is just a bad estimate.

I don't know whether it would take 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, a weekend, what. I don't know their level of rigor. But I would hope it's more than what you're suggesting.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
You sure sound like a genius. You should apply to code for the project. I'm sure we'll see Luclin release in a few days with your skill.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Sarnak

Why are people even entering the idea of putting Evade (leash distance) in P99? Go play one of the million vanilla WoW servers if you want that shit. Even rooting the dragons would be more classic.

Better solution would be actually trying to get involved rather than acting like you've been conditioned to not even try unless opportunity is handed to you.
At least in BDAs day the weaker guilds put in some effort to contest while advocating rotations, and lo and behold it bore fruit with the class system. None of y'all doing it now even show up.
At work would you want the laziest person making the decisions?