Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:51 AM
Kobold

Default shaman hp vs mp

If this has been beaten down to death x amount of times I apologize but if you had a high level shaman lets say 57-59 range and had these set hitpoints and manapoints:

1st scenario:
HP: 2300
MP: 2800

or

2nd scenario:
HP:2800
MP:2300

Which one would you choose and why? I've been asking this for months and can't get a straight answer. Some say the 2nd since you have more to cannibalize, some say 1st because more mana means you can get off more spells, some say neither as long as you're dancing, and some say screw it get to 60 and torpor and it's a wash?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:57 AM
Sarnak

I’d prefer more hp. Ideally you should be canni’ing all the time. Get your regen up as high as possible and let it do work. Your spells have cool downs, get a gcd item and sneak cannis in between casts.

Also of note, malo and slow draw aggro. CCing duties inevitable draw aggro. You want the hp pool. Torpor absolutely helps but even then you want as big of a hp pool as possible (without sacrificing too much mana or other stats) because you don’t want to waste a single tick.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwalk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’d prefer more hp. Ideally you should be canni’ing all the time. Get your regen up as high as possible and let it do work. Your spells have cool downs, get a gcd item and sneak cannis in between casts.

Also of note, malo and slow draw aggro. CCing duties inevitable draw aggro. You want the hp pool.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

You never want more mana than you have HP until you get torpor.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Planar Protector

My shaman (torp) has a pathetic 142 wisdom and very low mana for 60. I desperately want more just know that with very few exceptions even my tiny mana pool is sufficient for almost everything. I favor hp over mana in general.

Caveat: trying to heal hard (patch out of group tanks and torp in group) on bigger raid fights with a low mana pool is painful. I need deeper pockets - sucks to run out of juice prematurely and start canni-Ing when more heals are needed.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 02-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Skeleton

This have been said 12305899135\+4304254321 times before. Mana is utterly useless at 60.
Hp over mana. AC over hp. Resist = all, if casters
End of storyyy
Old 02-14-2019, 05:53 PM
Skeleton

Enh, it really changes on a fight by fight basis, and your raid/group composition as well, a good example of a mana>hp situation would be if your raid is light on shamans and you're doing some boss that is difficult to slow that also does heavy AoE, like say you're doing Dagarn for example, say you have to cast malo+slow 7 times at the start of the fight which is already 2100 mana dumped right there. And by the time it's slowed everyone in your group is sitting at 30% or whatever. Just an example but it happens occasionally depending on how many shamans are in your raid.

In that situation it's preferable to still have a bunch of mana left to cast 6 torps on your group and yourself or else your melee will just have to sit around hiding while you canni up, probably sending tells to eachother about your mother.

But yeah mana isn't relevant for most things. There's just a few tho where all the difficulty of the encounter is based on the initial "sprint" at the beginning, and the time commitment of casting canni is troublesome durring that sprint.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Aviak

Pretty amazing how many people in the thread aren't actually answering your question.

The TLDR is:
Quote:
screw it get to 60 and torpor and it's a wash
The answer to "HP or Mana pre-60?" in a vacuum is Mana.

The caveat is, once you hit 60, it's like Klubba says
Quote:
Mana is utterly useless at 60.
Hp over mana. AC over hp. Resist = all, if casters
End of storyyy
So if you plan to be high 50s for a while, gear mana. It helps break camps. If you cruisin right along to 60, may as well stick to AC/HP. At 60, there are realistically only a handful of fights that would demand a bigger mana pool. 99.9% of the rest of the game, Resists or AC or HP are much higher impact.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Sarnak

No, you shouldn't ignore mana but more mana isn't going to be any more effective to help you break camps.

When you break camps, when you solo, even in a group you are going to draw aggro, a root is going to break, in short you'll take damage and every time you have to stop to heal yourself you set your mana regen back.

Additonally, shaman mana regen is built around their canni line. Canni 2 is 31 mana for 67 hp. With regrowth and without any other regeneration gear a standing barbarian shaman will generate 17-18hp per tick through the 50s. Basically an additional 8 mana per tick. Assuming a fungi (+15regen), Troll/Iskar sitting (+12-16regen), you end up at somewhere near 19 mana per tick.

Now catching every sitting tick and having a fungi and racial regen available obviously doesn't represent the average shaman (or is even possible) but it illustrates the point. With a hp pool able to constantly tap into and which replenishes faster than your a mana pool a shaman in the 50s can expect to see 8-19 extra mana regen. With torpor at 60 shaman mana regen is even more ridiculous but this still illustrates the point; shaman mana regen is tied to their hp pool and for a class constantly pulling aggro in groups or even getting hit while soloing, being able to leverage that hp pool is of vital importance.

But don't take my word for it, go check my numbers as this was essentially napkin math while i sat down to lunch. Regardless, this was my impression leveling through the 50s, much of it solo. Regen/hp are king, ever time you have to stop and heal yourself thats wasted mana.

I should note though that I never felt as if i was put in a situation where I really had to choose between hp and mana. I saved for an iksar regen bp and later a fungi but otherwise took what I could get always opting for the highest item values or "biggest bang for the buck".
Last edited by Duckwalk; 02-15-2019 at 02:48 PM..
Old 02-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Sarnak

AC > HP > Mana > Wis.

It's pretty straight forward. I have a troll shaman with 200 wis and 3400 self buffed mana. 2950 HP. Every day I'm trying to figure out how to get more AC and HP. When you are attrition fighting and run out of mana, you canni. When you run out of HP, or get low on HP and can't canni to torp again, you're dead.
Closed Thread