Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:14 AM
Sarnak

Default Warrior weapons around level 40?

So, I'm a level 36 (almost 37) warrior. I've been using a hand-me-down velium claidhmore (30/37 ratio) which has worked extremely well for the past 16 levels, along with a Lammy / GJB on occasion to keep my 1H slashing and dual wield skills up. I've got around 5k in platinum and items to spend on some new weapons, and I'm assuming I'll need to start thinking about ones with proc effects (Ykesha, et cetera).

I already have my sights set on Frostbringer, along with a couple of dex items, like Maelstrom cloak. What else should I be using, and which hand should I place it in? I'm tentatively considering a Scimitar of the Ykesha (8/22 ratio) or some other Ykesha weapon / Acid Etched War Sword.

WESS is a bit expensive for my blood for the foreseeable future, Tsserina's Whip has an even more cringeworthy ratio than Ykesha weapons (and no lovely damage proc), and Silken Whip of Ensaring only works at level 50. I also hate whips, so there's that.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:06 AM
Fire Giant

Venomous Axe would pair good with Frosty for a couple of great aggro weps. Frosty MH / Venom OH. Could potentially get both axes + Mael cloak for 5k if you can find some good deals on them.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:21 AM
Planar Protector

I have a young warrior, just hit 38.

Been using a Scimitar of Ykesha and Venomous axe from level 37, doing a great job in Mistmoore CE, even without haste.

It's a dex/proc gimmick vanity project (193 unbuffed on cheap gear, with visual slots all being black armor, so could have more unbuffed if it wasn't for that secondary gimmick). I have a Frostbringer and Trochilic's Skean lined up for later (40 and 45 I think).

The Ykesha weapon only really needs to last you like 3 levels if you don't want to splash out on WESS.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doujou [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Venomous Axe would pair good with Frosty for a couple of great aggro weps. Frosty MH / Venom OH. Could potentially get both axes + Mael cloak for 5k if you can find some good deals on them.
I've found Venomous Axe's proc to be rather underwhelming when it comes to aggro, even at lower levels. Unless I'm mistaken, that's due to the fact that its proc has no secondary component (i.e. stun, snare, etc.) in addition to its direct damage. The direct damage itself *is* nice, but after using it in the FP / basement camps in Unrest, I wasn't really impressed.

I'd say that even a non-proccing high ratio weapon like Wurmslayer would be better aggro than a Venomous Axe.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd say that even a non-proccing high ratio weapon like Wurmslayer would be better aggro than a Venomous Axe.
I agree the Venom Axe isn't the greatest in terms of aggro, but to this point above, on the budget you have, another affordable aggro weapon is going to be worse DPS than Venom and then I'd agree that Venom axe's dps + proc is going to yield more aggro. Wurmy isn't the best example as it's MH only and then you'd have a slow-ass weapon in MH with your frosty in OH doing even less proc'ing.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:00 PM
Sarnak

I went ahead and just picked up a Wurmslayer to go with my Frostbringer for now. I've thought about it, and I've concluded that the high ratios of both weapons will yield steady, reliable aggro until I can find something better later on (maybe around level 50 or so). High-damage weapons also cause enemies to fall over more quickly, which means faster XP and less healer strain (at least when mobs are targeting me).

The occasional offhand proc is just icing on the cake. I'm not going to keep stressing out about it.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:39 AM
Aviak

Scimitar of the Ykesha and Tserrina's whip are no drop if that helps. Sarnak Warhammer would be more than sufficient and pretty cheap for you though I'd have to check when it procs. That stun is pretty nice too. It amounts to some pretty solid free damage mitigation.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:27 AM
Planar Protector

Just make sure you've got a cheap but effective 1hand to use offhand paired with FB mainhand for when you need aggro.

Scorpikis Claw Impaler is a great choice for this.

In a group that will challenge your aggro wurmslayer will not cut it. A proc from either impaler or FB should lock it.

Alternatively bite the bullet and buy a WESS. That weapon will last you to 60 and beyond and is competitive for threat even at the level 60 scene.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 10-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Fire Giant

Anyone knows how usable the Reaver is 40-60? What mobs that high are not magical? Guards? Animals?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by demokatt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone knows how usable the Reaver is 40-60? What mobs that high are not magical? Guards? Animals?
Dragons and Giants. Reaver is nice for ToV and Kael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Closed Thread