Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To elaborate, I have always felt there is a privilege given to those who spend more time on the forums than in the game. Don't care how much you edit the Per-Level Hunting Guide [thanks for that, though, Loramin]
I'm glad you've enjoyed the Per-Level Hunting Guide SunDrake. I didn't make it to curry any special favors or treatment, I just did it because I saw a million threads asking where to hunt, and I figured there must be a better way to answer them. But unless you count getting two items that I accidentally lost restored recently (yes, I'm a moron) I've gotten no special privileges here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That being said, I don't think Loramin has an awful personality or is nasty, I just think his love of his own name has blinded him from reasonable thinking in this circumstance.
I do love my name/character. I mean, I loved him so much I re-created him here exactly as he was on live, with the exact same name/face/race/class/deity. But I don't think I'm blinded by fear of a name change: when I similarly re-created my ranger here his name was already taken, so I added a silent "h" and moved on. I'm sure I could do something similar if I had to with Loramin.

I just think ... look what seems to get forgotten is that the staff are people, not blind rules-following automaton. A staff member can look at a name like Loramin and think "that sounds like a random fantasy name and not anything I've ever heard of in the real world". That same staff member can also look at Winchester (for instance) and think "you know, I think I may have heard of that ..."

So yes, I do understand that the rules say a name can be changed for being the same as a trademark. But as I mentioned before, there are 10k new trademarks issued every quarter in the US alone. If the staff was a bunch of rule-enforcing robots they would write a script to match character names against every new trademark as it comes out ... but that will never ever happen because they aren't robots trying to ban every trademarked name.

What they are is people, people who love this game so much that they volunteer their own free time, spending some of it to change obviously recognizable names that don't belong in Norath so that everyone else can enjoy the game more. That basic fact makes me feel my name is relatively safe, but at the same time it also ensures that I'll feel no ill will if it does get changed. And I really think it would help a lot if everyone else here also tried to keep that basic fact in mind when having these discussions.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 02-12-2018 at 01:07 PM..
Old 02-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Banned

I'm a little sad that the name gestapo are finished. It was really fun and I enjoyed the time I logged in to inform on people. But too many nerds got out of hand and made a headache for our blessed, immersion loving staff.

I have laid down my laurels but will keep them freshly dusted in case the staff ever needs the List to continue.

KITTENS DELENDA EST
Old 02-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
allowing certain forums posters to take credit for the name changes isn't doing you any favors either
If the staff went around correcting every false claim made by forum posters they'd never get any actual staff work done [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Aviak

Chardok 2.0 is coming "Soon (tm)" meanwhile, enjoy the name changes!
Old 02-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm glad you've enjoyed the Per-Level Hunting Guide SunDrake. I didn't make it to curry any special favors or treatment, I just did it because I saw a million threads asking where to hunt, and I figured there must be a better way to answer them. But unless you count getting two items that I accidentally lost restored recently (yes, I'm a moron) I've gotten no special privileges here.

I do love my name/character. I mean, I loved him so much I re-created him here exactly as he was on live, with the exact same name/face/race/class/deity. But I don't think I'm blinded by fear of a name change: when I similarly re-created my ranger here his name was already taken, so I added a silent "h" and moved on. I'm sure I could do something similar if I had to with Loramin.

I just think ... look what seems to get forgotten is that the staff are people, not blind rules-following automaton. A staff member can look at a name like Loramin and think "that sounds like a random fantasy name and not anything I've ever heard of in the real world". That same staff member can also look at Winchester (for instance) and think "you know, I think I may have heard of that ..."

So yes, I do understand that the rules say a name can be changed for being the same as a trademark. But as I mentioned before, there are 10k new trademarks issued every quarter in the US alone. If the staff was a bunch of rule-enforcing robots they might write a script to match character names against every new trademark as it comes out ... but that will never ever happen because they aren't robots trying to ban every trademarked name.

What they are is people, people who love this game so much that they volunteer their own free time, spending some of it to change obviously recognizable names that don't belong in Norath. That basic fact makes me feel my name is relatively safe, but at the same time it also ensures that I'll feel no ill will if it does get changed. And I really think it would help a lot if everyone else here also tried to keep that basic fact in mind.
Yeah I agree with all of this, for the most part. But what about fellow players? I just marvel at how when players detected other players being upset by their names being changed how they got attacked and ridiculed.

Would I personally be upset and quit the game if a name was changed? Probably not.

But saying as Vorhees did above "anyone that is upset over this isn't an adult" (paraphrasing here) is lacking understanding of other people, either due to an inability to empathize or simply being mean for the sake of being mean.

Blah blah blah. I am tired of this topic, I am sure the guides are REALLY tired of this topic, and wish you all well. Going to try to extract myself from it now.

I just get irritated when people start slinging personal insults at others for a good laugh when it's clear the targets are genuinely upset. Pretty cowardly and debased imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WU'TANG FOREVER
Sadly with the recent naming shenanigans, Wu'Tang might be a lost cause.

This one might be better to forget. I KNOW IT PAINS YOU, but let it go.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
allowing certain forums posters to take credit for the name changes isn't doing you any favors either, and is probably one reason why you guys are getting harassed over this.
Llandris has said exactly why they started changing names, nowhere did he mention they began the name changing due to a certain player or players making complaints.

People just need to have brains in their heads, and recognize that no individual had anything to do with the policy being enforced.

I said it many different times, but you had the peanut gallery pumping up the individual giving him false credit for the sake of trolling purposes, and making him really feel like he should be taking credit.

Anyone that believed this narrative is retarded, to be blunt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If your character name was part of this group, you may petition for a 1 time name change (within an acceptable time frame) so long as it adheres to the naming policy. Do not petition with the expectation of getting your original name back, it was changed for a reason. Thank you for your cooperation.

-P99 Staff
Sorry if this was already made clear, but I have 2 chars so far with their names changed. Did you want one petition per char or lump em into one message.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone that believed this narrative is retarded, to be blunt.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Sarnak

Has anyone that has self-reported a name violation actually had your character's name changed?
Closed Thread