Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Aviak

We were going to go with shaman initially, but we picked Druid for the reasons Haghar said. As well as running a Barbarian all the way down to the commonlands would've been a hell of a trip for a shaman.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

For questing/leveling having a druid in the group is a must imo.
If it's not your first time and you have excess plat, it's possible to get by, buying ports but yeah.

Shaman is very gear intensive and it's late game spells are expensive. A lot of people roll a shaman having stars in their eyes, just to hit 60 and get shutdown when they don't have access to torp. Making them just as useful as a druid in reality. POTG is cheaper than torp, just saying.

@Tentarro the person who is playing druid in your group, They have guaranteed plat income by selling ports when y'all aren't grouping. Relatively easy income. I personally know people who have funded their next character just through plat earned porting people.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Kobold

I have to disagree. For leveling groups with 2 melees there is simply no contest between druid and shaman. Slow + haste will allow the group to kill 5x as many enemies before they need a med break, no matter what the shaman is wearing.

It is true that druids get ports and that is great for moving around and for making plat, but that doesn't make up for the fact that shamans just get better tools for small group content.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Sarnak

Shaman will be vastly better for this group set up, with slow, haste, buffs your group will be able to kill more difficult mobs much easier and larger qty of mobs. Monk/Shaman is one of the best duo's in the game, add in a rogue for additional DPS and you guys will be flying. Slow is the single best heal in the game the amount of dmg in reduces is a multiplier throughout the game. You will find that with druid as your only healer you will suffer with more downtime since the druid won't be able to keep up with heals.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:30 PM
Banned

I know I'm a couple days late, but ...... Make 2 monks and a necro. You will find that the ability to FD on your trio will save you many many headaches. Necro can snare fear while the monks beat down the mob. Necro will also be able to heal the monks with pact of shadow spell line much more efficiently than a shaman can. Unfortunately you need to dump the rogue.

just imagine for a second that you are in the depths of dalnir, guk, Kaesora, or any other dungeon and getting overwhelmed by adds.. Being able to FD and dump all Aggro is paramount. A shaman rogue or Druid would be Forced to make a run for the exit, probably dieing along the way. How much time are you going to waste on corpse runs?

As far as making a Druid for the perc of having ports, don't do it. There are literally hundreds of druids out there willing to port you just about anywhere at any given time. Most of these guys are happy to help out newbs that have nothing from the start.

From my own experience as a necromancer leveling mostly in duos and trios, having a shaman around instead of another monk only seems noticeably better at higher levels, like 45 plus.

Whether you go monk monk necro or monk shaman necro is up to you. Just make sure you make iksars. Racial regen is so important for shaman monk and necro. the experience deterrent is made up by shorter downtimes and less deaths as an iksar.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodboy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You will find that the ability to FD on your trio will save you many many headaches. Necro can snare fear while the monks beat down the mob. Necro will also be able to heal the monks with pact of shadow spell line much more efficiently than a shaman can.
If you want a FDable trio why not go Necro Necro Necro? It seems better in every way than monk monk necro.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

A lot of people did not read the title of this thread.
"Best Duo for questing/leveling?"
A ton of the advice people are giving is based on level 60 end game. Such as monk/shm. An un geared monk/shm is not as strong as blue loot frenzy has lead veterans to believe.

Fresh characters, questing and leveling won't be walking through content like a twinked shm/mnk or shm/ench or even a ench/cleric. Those are meta end game builds that require gear. I have no problem with people saying hey these are something to shoot for. But the best Questing & Leveling duo's.. idk about that.

druid, necro, monk, rogue(,mage)

necro/ench is also a video duo. In the 50s you can kick the hell out of hollowing stones.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 07-06-2018 at 02:47 PM..
Old 07-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruptcy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want a FDable trio why not go Necro Necro Necro? It seems better in every way than monk monk necro.
Necro Necro Necro isn't bad. But monks can tank better thank necro pet and better damage output. The main reason though for not doing triple necro is simple; DOT's won't stack.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:23 PM
Large Bat

Default Confused about playerbase.

So I joined Project 1999 on the The Sleeper: Scars of Velious server. Since I have been playing I have only seen 1 other player. I see people posting on here all the time talking about their new characters etc. But I never see anyone. Are you all playing on the Day Break servers or the EQEmu server? Why am I never seeing anyone on /who all on The Sleeper?
Old 07-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For questing/leveling having a druid in the group is a must imo.
If it's not your first time and you have excess plat, it's possible to get by, buying ports but yeah.

Shaman is very gear intensive and it's late game spells are expensive. A lot of people roll a shaman having stars in their eyes, just to hit 60 and get shutdown when they don't have access to torp. Making them just as useful as a druid in reality. POTG is cheaper than torp, just saying.

@Tentarro the person who is playing druid in your group, They have guaranteed plat income by selling ports when y'all aren't grouping. Relatively easy income. I personally know people who have funded their next character just through plat earned porting people.
Even without Torpor, shamans still have slow, malo, canni, stat buffs, and a reliable pet. Druids cannot claim any of those. Comparing the two is silly.
Closed Thread