Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 10:18 PM
Sarnak

Default Lag around multiple players

I’m playing on a older computer (toshiba laptop) and the game runs pretty well most of the time. However I get really intolerable lag when I’m with groups of larger than 20 characters. This has made pretty much any real raiding impossible.

I’m wondering if anyone more technically savvy than myself could recommend upgrades I could make for my computer or settings changes that might help.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:42 PM
Fire Giant

I imagine turning off spell effects (/spell effects off), Turning off particles in your display options, turning clip plane down to 0% ,and filtering all but group damage might help you.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjoose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I imagine turning off spell effects (/spell effects off), Turning off particles in your display options, turning clip plane down to 0% ,and filtering all but group damage might help you.
These are all good advice. On my old PC, even with these done, I still lagged out and crashed during ring war and other heavily populated events. Another thing you can do is using the /showname command.

I think its /showname 0 which will only show first names (surnames and guild names arent visible) this cuts down lag noticeably in crowded areas.

And then /showname 1 Should return to default after you finish whatever you're doing in whatever crowded place you're in.

I haven't had to use these commands in maybe 2 years since I built a new PC, so my memory is a bit fuzzy and the # after /showname that I listed may be incorrect. In any case, play around with it using different number values until you find the correct one.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:22 AM
Fire Giant

You could buy a used laptop for 50 bucks that would run EQ with 0 problems. Good luck with that.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:51 PM
Sarnak

Thanks for the tips, I’ve tried most but not all. I’ll definitely try the /showname 0 tip.

But yeah maybe I should buy a new (used) computer
Old 10-22-2020, 03:52 AM
Sarnak

sounds like you are having the same problem i have with my usb thumb drive
it has to load all the spell effects before it displays then so it lags before every new spell
if you let us know the specs on your laptop then a simple suggestion like removing your page file might work
Old 10-22-2020, 09:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaix1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sounds like you are having the same problem i have with my usb thumb drive
it has to load all the spell effects before it displays then so it lags before every new spell
if you let us know the specs on your laptop then a simple suggestion like removing your page file might work
Here are some of the specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.87 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.67 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.36 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.11 GB

Graphics card (I think?): Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Old 10-22-2020, 01:49 PM
Sarnak

i might be leading ahead to much but looks like the gpu
next guess if this is new behavior then it's the hdd failing
if you do replace with an ssd remove the pagefile as ssds only have about 10k writes to one byte
so in order to save it's life for ten more years maybe swap the ram for 8gb with an ssd and remove the pagefile
this upgrade for probably $50-$60 can extend your laptops life for another 10 years
Old 10-22-2020, 01:51 PM
Sarnak

only other suggestion is try wined3d for opengl graphics
as opengl is not as power hungry
Old 10-22-2020, 01:57 PM
Banned

I lag like crazy at EC tunnel ent and I'm on a desktop which, while semi old, is lightyears better than PC's available when classic-velious was actually new. I think it has something to do with all the dynamic light sources from everyone standing around there.