Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: What do you think will happen?
The USA will buy the UK to make them great again 15 14.02%
The monarchy will collapse, England to become Venezuela 2.0 10 9.35%
UK to sink in total recession, AM/Riot to rejoice about this new stream of jobless apps 25 23.36%
The UK will do just fine, will claim back USA, India, Australia and all other ex colonies 23 21.50%
The EU will make Boris Johnson fuck a pig live on TV, or they kill Harry 19 17.76%
Bush // towers 39 36.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Banned

People like that always have only surface level morality and justifications. Any time you dig deeper into their ideas , they don’t hold up under scrutiny. 100% of posters with those viewpoints that stick around end up resorting to personal attacks when they get flustered that mods won’t just delete opposing viewpoints for them.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Fire Giant

Honestly mate. There is literally ZERO need for you to post if all you are going to say is the same few sentances ad infanatum. You may as well just include it as your sig.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppkins_Wytchfinder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly mate. There is literally ZERO need for you to post if all you are going to say is the same few sentances ad infanatum. You may as well just include it as your sig.
Take your own advice.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Fire Giant

Takes one to know one.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think its a nice sum up video of where the brexit stands right now at.
Now I've had chance to watch it, there are some factual inaccuracies in there e.g. saying Theresa May invoked Article 50 straight away, in fact she waited 6 months as the UK had to acquire some international diplomacy expertise as we didn't have any. It's also unfair to blame the DUP for any of this, they've been crystal clear from the beginning what they would accept and wouldn't accept. The video also misses out the biggest reason for why we are in the current situation - that despite 88% of MPs being elected on a pro-Brexit platform in 2017, over half of them (including the supposedly neutral Speaker) had no intention whatsoever of delivering what the people voted for.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think its a nice sum up video of where the brexit stands right now at.

Is there anythink in the video you disagree with? Or is it just the T-shirt which bothers/triggers you?
Factually I agree the whole Brexit thing is a farce. But it really doesn't tackle why the government has failed to get it done - other than poking fun and adding a bit of comedy...and while some political satire is never a bad thing, the annoying thing for Brexit voters is that no leader yet has had the stones to just WALK AWAY.

I'd understand if we were a small EU country like Luxembourg or Lithuania - we probably wouldn't survive economically, but the UK is the 5th largest economy in the world and we still have strong ties to commonwealth countries like Canada/Australia/South Africa/etc and in terms of setting our own policies on migration, work visas, our own laws not being subject to the European Court of Justice's approval, and generally being able to trade with who we like... there's no reason we can't stand on our own two feet.

Imagine an official "North American Union" gets set up. Mexico and probably Cuba and some other countries get added.... and you have freedom of movement for anyone with a member state passport able to work and live where they like. Is that going to be damaging for the American economy? Of course it is. The difference there though is America is already something like 370 million people right? The UK is up to around 65 million, and it wasn't 20 years ago we were closer to 55 million. We haven't grown as a nation in terms of standards of living, most people working unskilled jobs are on the minimum wage, which is becoming the maximum wage they can hope for.

Is that bad? Well, not if you come from Romania where its 9 times higher than the wage there - but if you're a UK school leaver entering the workforce, you're competing for a shit job at a supermarket with dozens of people who have moved to the UK to work. No qualifications needed, maybe your chances are considerably better if you've learnt English but overall the country has become a good place for people to come and make enough money to then go back to buy a house and set their lives up. I can't blame anyone for wanting to better their life for themselves or their family, but uncontrolled immigration hurts a lot of people's employment chances here - and pushes the cost of living up in terms of renting a house (buying one is getting near impossible).

The joke of the whole Brexit saga is that if we "do a deal" as May, Johnson and whoever else keeps saying is in our best interests, those freedom of movement laws would remain, we'd still be subject to a lot of EU laws which right now we don't want or need and in terms of the "leave or remain" vote in 2016 the electorate took it as an absolute withdrawal from all of it... so less than that is a betrayal from our political leaders.

It still costs us 60 million GBP per week to be an EU member, no wonder they don't want to let us go [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Straight up its frustrating, and we just need to walk away... but then you've got the kids of 2016 who are now in voting age saying they didn't get any say in it, and people who paint a leave voter as a full on Nazi because why wouldn't we want uncontrolled migration and increased levels of crime?

The EU as an entity needs to go, I don't know how that happens but Germany and France need to also reach that conclusion - and that'll be the end of it.

I don't think 2020 is going to solve anything either, but I can hope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-09-2019, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People like that always have only surface level morality and justifications. Any time you dig deeper into their ideas , they don’t hold up under scrutiny. 100% of posters with those viewpoints that stick around end up resorting to personal attacks when they get flustered that mods won’t just delete opposing viewpoints for them.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-10-2019, 04:29 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The joke of the whole Brexit saga is that if we "do a deal" as May, Johnson and whoever else keeps saying is in our best interests, those freedom of movement laws would remain, we'd still be subject to a lot of EU laws which right now we don't want or need and in terms of the "leave or remain" vote in 2016 the electorate took it as an absolute withdrawal from all of it... so less than that is a betrayal from our political leaders.
Agree 100%, it's funny isn't it that since the referendum, EU immigration to the UK has dropped, while wages are finally rising above inflation.

On Freedom of Movement - under both deals that would have ended. Boris has pledged to introduce an 'Australian-style points system' for future immigration to the UK, including for folks from the EU. Of course, that doesn't mean net immigration will actually be cut.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Wizard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if your post is longer then a sentence or two no one is going to read it
Tsdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Factually I agree the whole Brexit thing is a farce. But it really doesn't tackle why the government has failed to get it done - other than poking fun and adding a bit of comedy...and while some political satire is never a bad thing, the annoying thing for Brexit voters is that no leader yet has had the stones to just WALK AWAY.

I'd understand if we were a small EU country like Luxembourg or Lithuania - we probably wouldn't survive economically, but the UK is the 5th largest economy in the world and we still have strong ties to commonwealth countries like Canada/Australia/South Africa/etc and in terms of setting our own policies on migration, work visas, our own laws not being subject to the European Court of Justice's approval, and generally being able to trade with who we like... there's no reason we can't stand on our own two feet.

Imagine an official "North American Union" gets set up. Mexico and probably Cuba and some other countries get added.... and you have freedom of movement for anyone with a member state passport able to work and live where they like. Is that going to be damaging for the American economy? Of course it is. The difference there though is America is already something like 370 million people right? The UK is up to around 65 million, and it wasn't 20 years ago we were closer to 55 million. We haven't grown as a nation in terms of standards of living, most people working unskilled jobs are on the minimum wage, which is becoming the maximum wage they can hope for.

Is that bad? Well, not if you come from Romania where its 9 times higher than the wage there - but if you're a UK school leaver entering the workforce, you're competing for a shit job at a supermarket with dozens of people who have moved to the UK to work. No qualifications needed, maybe your chances are considerably better if you've learnt English but overall the country has become a good place for people to come and make enough money to then go back to buy a house and set their lives up. I can't blame anyone for wanting to better their life for themselves or their family, but uncontrolled immigration hurts a lot of people's employment chances here - and pushes the cost of living up in terms of renting a house (buying one is getting near impossible).

It still costs us 60 million GBP per week to be an EU member, no wonder they don't want to let us go [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Straight up its frustrating, and we just need to walk away... but then you've got the kids of 2016 who are now in voting age saying they didn't get any say in it, and people who paint a leave voter as a full on Nazi because why wouldn't we want uncontrolled migration and increased levels of crime?

The EU as an entity needs to go, I don't know how that happens but Germany and France need to also reach that conclusion - and that'll be the end of it.

I don't think 2020 is going to solve anything either, but I can hope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I voted remain for my own selfish reasons, but I don't think there is much wrong in your post.

I hope there at least remains a dual tax agreement as part of whatever the arrangement is, and a back door for family of / those married to Brits.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Planar Protector

General election 2019: Ads are 'indecent, dishonest and untruthful'

Quote:
  • for the Conservatives, it said that 88% (5,952) of the party's most widely promoted ads either featured claims which had been flagged by independent fact-checking organisations including BBC Reality Check as not correct or not entirely correct. The figure includes instances of the same claims being made across multiple posts. One example was that Labour would spend £1.2 trillion at a cost of £2,400 to every household, which was contained within 4,028 ads. Those sums are significantly higher than others' analysis of Labour's plans
  • for the Lib Dems, it said hundreds of potentially misleading ads had featured identical unlabelled graphs, with no indication of the source data, to claim it was the only party that could beat either Labour, the Conservatives or the SNP "in seats like yours"
  • for Labour, it said that it could not find any misleading claims in ads run over the period
Closed Thread