Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:19 AM
Fire Giant

Default Low level gear drops/quests

Alright, so I've been on this server since it opened and I feel like I've played most classes to at least a decent level. I have: 60 Shaman, 60 Enchanter, 60 Warrior, 56 Monk, 55 Ranger, 51 Rogue, 51 Necro and several 30-40 chars. The majority of those characters have been twinked (at least for their time period)

I remember my first char on he server (Shaman) had to quest and/or loot much of his gear leveling up because there weren't many items for sale and I didn't have much money, and I kind of want to relive that.

I was thinking I might make a Bard or possibly an SK or Pally and I'd like to try and level them at least to 55 or so (won't be swarm kiting) without acquiring any gear from a third party seller or charity of any kind. I want to try earning all my gear by my own hands. Either by crafting it, or by looting it or questing it (only if I do it for real, no MQs or loot rights from higher levels who want to help)

This will obviously be pretty challenging, largely because I've been twinking for so long, I don't remember any good low level loots or quests that would be nice. I'm leaning toward Bard right now and I'd like to see what sort of quests and/or loot you remember out there that you could recommend and direct me toward so that I have some ideas.

Let's see what you've got! I know Unreat had some loots, so I'm thinking some stuff like that! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2016, 02:09 AM
Planar Protector

grr bards. hmm... I'd like to tip on the SK, but not sure, I dropped my starting SK armor from another char. But for Pally, though SK can work too... just harder, I'd go to CB and farm belts and pads, sell them until you have around oh 500pp or so (edit gee forget how much it cost to raise to plate), maybe a little more for final plate suit cost (it's about 150pp to banded for sure). Use the armor crafting guide and work up to fine plate. You can buy all the mats off vendors, I mean for sheet metal, just being faster than smelting. Or slower and smelt everything yourself but save plats a little, at least thru banded.

Of course the hard part with any evil race is area faction. But you could always go for bandit sashes or whatever, things that sell at low level, I just pref CB for quick plats at low levels.

Also, beyond fine steel plate, you could go with cultural armor down the line, open for an option anyway. Starting as a human is really good for that imo, way more armor choices for crafting. Anyway if going the crafting rout it's something to look into ahead of time before selecting race and deity if you think you may ever go past banded or fine plate.

ps out of those choices though, I'd go with SK. And don't rule DE out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

edit: and really, you could do CB to the point of getting a full banded set, pretty easy. Then go to NK and do the gypsy camp quest turning in the lightstones and selling back rewards. That'll get ya plats easy to finish off smithing for full plate. From that point you might only need to worry about hunting down STR stuff to add in, rings etc.
Last edited by Daywolf; 05-01-2016 at 02:24 AM..
Old 05-01-2016, 03:09 AM
Planar Protector

Iksar Berserker Club from kurns tower is probably the best weapon you can find early on (7/18) but if you play bard that is less important.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 AM
Kobold

I am considering the same thing with my bard based in Qeynos. So far, he is level 14, in store bought leather, wielding a combine long sword, and killing bandits in WK to raise money to make banded for himself. I think a Dragoon Dirk, a Polished Granite Tomahawk, and a Combine Morning Star are in his future, get some really low level stat stuff from Blackburrow (the agility earrings) and Cutthroat Insignia Rings when I try to kill Dorn for the Dragoon Dirk. That's as far as I've planned.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Fire Giant

Yea I've never crafted before was definitely gonna give that a shot!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Bard would be a good class for this, since you wouldn't be screwing over any potential groupmates as your songs aren't going to depend on gear. Playing a SK or Pal without buying any gear is just putting that evil on your group. On the flipside, casters would be a bad class for this challenge since they don't really need gear either way.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Planar Protector

If you want to really start over. Start on Red. You will level into your 50's with cloth/leather/banded pieces still. Its super fun.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard would be a good class for this, since you wouldn't be screwing over any potential groupmates as your songs aren't going to depend on gear. Playing a SK or Pal without buying any gear is just putting that evil on your group. On the flipside, casters would be a bad class for this challenge since they don't really need gear either way.
err not even. SK is always in demand for leveling groups. SK doesn't even need an expensive weapon compared to what a warrior needs. Spells give the SK pretty good aggro control, and they can even solo pretty well when zones are slow. People play bards because of the pathing bug, to swarm kite for fast leveling. Way too many bards and have pissed a lot of people off. For bards lfg, you're competing with other bards for a group spot, and while some groups just rather not have a bard.

OP doesn't seem to be racing to lvl cap, would consider crafting, and smithing is actually pretty easy before cultural. This would be ideal for an SK, because as far as for leveling, fine plate is really all you need until later levels when you decide to do some armor quests. Early/mid lvl STR items just so you can carry more loot, like Hero Bracers. Or for human, which would be my suggestion in this case, some str and a little int.

But as I wrote above, you can be mostly geared before lvl20 (apart from like hero bracers unless bought), no one would turn you away from a group... and you may be annoyed by tells asking you to join groups [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Banned

for real non-twinks i guess pal / sk would be some of the absolute worst choices from a power perspective

you'd drag down groups a few notches and you can't really solo for squat, fear kiting with a rusty 2h doesn't work

on a bard you could hit 60 naked, and even at 50+, having 12 plat worth of instruments puts your songs over 80% max efficiency

just play what you like, not like you can't reroll that lvl 17 naked dude later right [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

@above poster "fine plate is really all you need until later levels", that stuff has a trivial of 228..
Old 05-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

LOL that is some good hyperbole! Even if you are doing a fresh start no ECmart you are NOT going to be stuck with a rusty scythe by the time you can fear kite.
Closed Thread