Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also today we know how to handle breaks and are ready for them when they happen. Back then, a charm break sent the enc into panic mode "omg this mob is pissed at me HEAL ME OMG *splat* I'm never memming a charm spell again"
I disagree... train after train after train by the same people in zones resulting from pet groups charms breaking on the wrong time. People no learny the charm is the dangerous.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Aviak

fwiw, I played a level 65ish Enchanter on live from 1999 - 2003. We never used charm. Ever. It's not because we didn't know to have high charisma (mine was 210+ buffed) or because we didn't use tash before charming. It's because the spell itself was unreliable.

Why else would they have made a level SIXTY spell, when Kunark was released, that guaranteed an unbroken charm? Is that spell even relevant with today's mechanics?

And this isn't even to mention the druids or necros who are also using charm to solo. This was virtually unheard of on live because, again, the spell wasn't reliable -- especially for those with low charisma / inability to lower magic resistance on their target.

Unlike today, when I see druids charming effectively because the spell itself is so reliable.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:13 PM
Sarnak

Incorrect, people in 1999 were mentally impaired
Old 11-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Kobold

Let's be real, most people right now are too dumb to effectively charm, or play their class period. And that's people dedicated to playing an emulator 20 years later.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:20 PM
Kobold

Wow, I’m a casul noob and I didn’t realize Enchanters were so OP according to this thread. Why am I wasting time on a Druid?

Based on all the hatred and whining, I am now inspired to roll an Enchanter and bend this silly elf simulator to my liking.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:23 PM
Aviak

Enchanter charm is OP! Nerf!!! NERF!!!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithjinternet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
fwiw, I played a level 65ish Enchanter on live from 1999 - 2003. We never used charm. Ever. It's not because we didn't know to have high charisma (mine was 210+ buffed) or because we didn't use tash before charming. It's because the spell itself was unreliable.

Why else would they have made a level SIXTY spell, when Kunark was released, that guaranteed an unbroken charm? Is that spell even relevant with today's mechanics?

And this isn't even to mention the druids or necros who are also using charm to solo. This was virtually unheard of on live because, again, the spell wasn't reliable -- especially for those with low charisma / inability to lower magic resistance on their target.

Unlike today, when I see druids charming effectively because the spell itself is so reliable.
Sounds like a lot of "I remember it being this way and so that's how it was and should be" without posting any actual evidence.

Always surprising how people will grab their pitchforks over something and be so adamant about something that they can't even find evidence for.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:03 PM
Kobold

Do we have any evidence that the current charm mechanics are not broken? In other words, is it just a best guess? I legitimately don't know.

The Imp tanking Naggy video really is eye opening. That straights up break one of the most important classic encounters and was certainly NOT how it was done in classic (which I think this project is trying to emulate?).

Just wait for the planes. With Allure, all these chanters are going to charm trash and absolutely destroy the place, no tanks will ever be needed. Again, not very classic.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do we have any evidence that the current charm mechanics are not broken? In other words, is it just a best guess? I legitimately don't know.

The Imp tanking Naggy video really is eye opening. That straights up break one of the most important classic encounters and was certainly NOT how it was done in classic (which I think this project is trying to emulate?).

Just wait for the planes. With Allure, all these chanters are going to charm trash and absolutely destroy the place, no tanks will ever be needed. Again, not very classic.
So confused by this post. When on Blue have you seen tanks not be needed in raids? lol
Old 11-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Summoning might not be working correctly here, the pet owner themselves would have been summoned on Live, or so I believe based on the evidence.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=341150

If at any point that imp was at the top of the hate list the chanter should have been toast.
Last edited by Dolalin; 11-18-2019 at 03:14 PM..
Closed Thread