Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 01:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean...besides root? Not getting hit is an ideal way of not getting killed.
Root is very powerful and definitely helps the ranger, but bard being able to mez/charm/fear will still make them better. I only suggested bard because the OP clearly likes the hybrid play style and IMO the bard is the closest to a ranger and would be technically better at what he wants to accomplish (even though his preferred class choice might not generally be a good fit for his goals in-game).
Old 01-26-2021, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Root is very powerful and definitely helps the ranger, but bard being able to mez/charm/fear will still make them better. I only suggested bard because the OP clearly likes the hybrid play style and IMO the bard is the closest to a ranger and would be technically better at what he wants to accomplish (even though his preferred class choice might not generally be a good fit for his goals in-game).
I hear ya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] . A good bard is a marvel to witness at work. Definitely a love or hate gameplay style. Either I'm a marginal player, marginal bard, or just not confident in myself...probably a some of each, Lol.

I've always seen a SK as having some bard tricks plus feign death. Less capable compared to a really good bard but definitely simple to play. Way more downtime. If the OP wants a "modern" MMO feel in an old MMO the bard is definitely a path. The nice thing is you will know if you love or hate the game play fairly soon after starting it.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:29 PM
Fire Giant

I love all the hybrids and I’m currently working on a ranger and plan on getting his epic(s) so I can have all of them. It would be way too hard to pick a favorite, literally every single time I play one I’m like “oh yea this guy is for sure my favorite”...then I hop on the next character and say the exact same thing, lol.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What makes you think a ranger would be any better than a bard at being a solo artist and killing named mobs in dungeons?
I never said it would be? I literally told him if he wanted to be a solo artist he should go with Enchanter > Shaman > Monk/Sk in that order. Ranger would be slightly better at doing it in a dungeon. Put a bard in a dungeon and you eliminate about 75% of what makes a bard great. They need open outdoor zones to really shine and utilize their entire toolkit. Same with rangers but a ranger has a better universal toolkit with clickies and spells than a bard does in a dungeon.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

A ranger can bow-rot from almost melee range. The prob with tough names is early root breaks and a lack of recovering hps from those 140+ hits. That and whittling down an 8-10k hp mob with bow shots. Even ensnared you dont have much time to toss a fresh root up.

As soloists the sham/necro/ench are certainly the best at it. The rest of the semi-capable solo classes are just making do with what they have.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never said it would be? I literally told him if he wanted to be a solo artist he should go with Enchanter > Shaman > Monk/Sk in that order. Ranger would be slightly better at doing it in a dungeon. Put a bard in a dungeon and you eliminate about 75% of what makes a bard great. They need open outdoor zones to really shine and utilize their entire toolkit. Same with rangers but a ranger has a better universal toolkit with clickies and spells than a bard does in a dungeon.
Wrong. I can go through a dungeon much easier than a ranger on my bard. Indoors a ranger can't harmony pull, a bard can. A ranger can root adds, but a bard can mez or charm it. The ranger can baby heal himself which is nice, the bard can twist a SS BP heal in his normal song rotation with his hp song. On demand attack speed slows helps mitigate a lot of damage as well for the bard. If its a high end dungeon either one aren't going to be great soloing, I'd give the nod to the bard for sure though. In low to mid dungeons it doesn't really matter, they'll both be fine but the ranger would probably do it faster.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wrong. I can go through a dungeon much easier than a ranger on my bard. Indoors a ranger can't harmony pull, a bard can. A ranger can root adds, but a bard can mez or charm it. The ranger can baby heal himself which is nice, the bard can twist a SS BP heal in his normal song rotation with his hp song. On demand attack speed slows helps mitigate a lot of damage as well for the bard. If its a high end dungeon either one aren't going to be great soloing, I'd give the nod to the bard for sure though. In low to mid dungeons it doesn't really matter, they'll both be fine but the ranger would probably do it faster.
That's great I'm glad bard is better than a ranger in dungeons for you. Neither one is going to do what the OP wants. Which is why I suggested Enchanter and Shaman. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's great I'm glad bard is better than a ranger in dungeons for you. Neither one is going to do what the OP wants. Which is why I suggested Enchanter and Shaman. Hope this helps.
And thats fine, I didnt jump on you for suggesting those classes like you did to me for suggesting bard, lol. At least the bard is still a hybrid like the OP wants and has a very close playstyle to the ranger. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
And thats fine, I didnt jump on you for suggesting those classes like you did to me for suggesting bard, lol. At least the bard is still a hybrid like the OP wants and has a very close playstyle to the ranger. Hope this helps.
OP says he wants to be a solo artist and kill named in dungeons. You suggest bard... Should be easy to follow why someone would be confused by your suggestion. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

You want an enchanter for your best chance at hitting 60 somewhat quickly, bonus points since enchanters don't need much gear and cha gear should cost pennies by now. Shaman sounds closer to how you want to play though since with their slow they make decent face tanks and you can buy some decent weapons for them that I think stay viable into the low 40s.