Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 02:39 AM
Banned

Red face Is it possible to raid on P99 without being unemployed?

This is not to shame anyone who is unemployed or anyone who raids, but I am actually curious about this. Last Spring when I played on P99 I remember and I finally got to level 50, all of my friends were rushing to Sol B at 4AM on a Tuesday to park at the entrance all day long just in case Lord Nagafen spawned.

They said this was what was expected and required to be a part of their guild, and I just kind of wonder how normal people could do this? It was during this moment that I envisioned a bunch of older, mostly retired people playing P99 to re-live the Nostalgia from their younger days.

But is this actually the case?

I'm genuinely curious.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:05 AM
Orc

Not if you’re competitive.

Either unemployed or neglecting work or personal life.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is not to shame anyone who is unemployed or anyone who raids, but I am actually curious about this. Last Spring when I played on P99 I remember and I finally got to level 50, all of my friends were rushing to Sol B at 4AM on a Tuesday to park at the entrance all day long just in case Lord Nagafen spawned.

They said this was what was expected and required to be a part of their guild, and I just kind of wonder how normal people could do this? It was during this moment that I envisioned a bunch of older, mostly retired people playing P99 to re-live the Nostalgia from their younger days.

But is this actually the case?

I'm genuinely curious.
Honestly, I don't think so many people engage in this. Maybe a few dozen people?

As the server gets older, people end up with a couple of high level toons, so they can park their 'spares' at popular raid locations. That way they can pick up a batphone should they happen to be monitoring it and available at the time. This is what I do on the rare occasion I remember to boot discord / keep an eye on things.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:49 AM
Kobold

Back when I first found p99 I did this during the TMO era. I had a M-F 9 to 5 job and basically spent 6pm to 1am daily and all weeekend every weekend on the game. I had the batphone and would leave my PC on in case I had to login fast. Park at wherever the guild told me to park.

I had food, laundry, weed, and groceries delivered. Pretty much got it down to just work and EQ. It sucked having only 1 60, so I started leveling a raid bot alt in the meantime.

Eventually I snapped out of it. I'll never hardcore like that again. When I play at all now it's for giggles, and I mostly play other games where time management is easier.

D3 is easy to play in small bits for life balance, and you can bot the hell out of it so you're able to keep up despite having to work.
@EndorraFeyborne Discord
Old 04-19-2021, 07:30 AM
Banned

We could break the server of this with a megazerg just planning in advance to watch for 1 or 2 targets a week. Would only need a few dedicated players. The rest would just login when ready.

I think the problem is everyone trying to hit every raid every time. And so they wind up with 3 characters in each guild. And no communication between guild leaders. If the guild leaders shared then it wouldn't be a problem.

Idk live only had two active endgame guilds. Velious probably only supports two really.

On the upside u can easily get 60 in EC gear on either server.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:51 AM
Planar Protector

To OP: Absolutely not . Anyone that says it is is lying or not really working
Old 04-19-2021, 09:22 AM
Fire Giant

It is on blue, lots of people have jobs. Obviously not the people with 80+ ra lol. But plenty just raid when they can and guilds don't really require a min raid attendance once your full member.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:05 AM
Large Rat

Get a better job?
Old 04-19-2021, 10:50 AM
Sarnak

I did serious raiding and I noticed many around me had no jobs and often had some sort of social assistance due to health issues.

I noticed there are basically 2 types of hardcore raiders and they were employed raiders who played every day but never could hit the 90plus percent attendance and usually had limits, but then there is the unemployed crowd and they absolutely made up the most "hardcore" group. You just can't compete with that if you have any semblance of a life. It becomes a matter of time available.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 04-19-2021, 10:55 AM
Banned

Don't forget the self-employed. Those who only have to work 10-15 hours a week are capable raiders.
Closed Thread