Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 07:55 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Making a Barb Shaman - Change my Mind

Hey all,

So I am an oldschool EQ player (started right before Kunark dropped) and played until shortly after Velious was released. A friend and I played on blue for awhile, but when schedules didn't line up, we stopped playing (major props to the devs as we had a blast).

While my buddies "back in the day" all got to high levels, I always had a major case of rerollitis and never stuck with one char. I recently, however, finally managed to hit the level cap in Classic WoW so maybe at age 36 I can finally get a char to the level cap in EQ. So, here I am.

Realistically, I am likely going to be able to play in the mornings (EST) for a couple of hours and maybe a night or two a week as I have young kids. As I imagine this won't be peak hours, I want to make sure I play something that can solo reasonably well. And, if we are being honest, to prevent rerolling, I would like to pick a class that has a fun 1-60 experience; I would rather play a race/class that has an easier 1-60 experience than one that would be slightly better with BiS gear (as I am never going to get there).

With all that said, I am currently thinking Barb Shaman. My understanding is that Shammy is good solo or group. While I know ogre and troll have racial abilities and stats that might make them better, absent a guise, I think Barb looks cooler. One legit concern is am I going to have to run back to Halas to buy spells every few levels?

So, have at it. Based upon the limited info y'all now know about me, convince me I am making a bad choice and let me know what I should be playing. Or, maybe let me know what stats I should assign if I do roll a barb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:08 PM
Planar Protector

Do it, it's great to be able to travel into most good cities without having to invis, do faction work or use illusions.

I have a barb shm, with torpor race doesnt matter.
And in velious you get polar bear illusion with tear drop tattoo.

Fashion quest is the ultimate end game for many players, Barbarian wins in style points.

Starting Points: 25 Wisdom / 5 Stamina
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 03-22-2021 at 08:12 PM..
Old 03-22-2021, 08:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One legit concern is am I going to have to run back to Halas to buy spells every few levels?
The best way is to get around 12-14 in the halas area and then go somewhere else. You can't run anywhere except the qeynos area at low level, unless you get a port.

But Blackburrow should have people on green and it is still considered a good zone.

Ogre and troll may have more appeal to some people. Taking into consideration that you don't have much time, barb may be harder to level at first but around 15-30 it should easily compensate if you are in groups.

Gear will be hard to get no matter what if you have no funds, which may make ogre and troll seem better, but EQ is a grouping game. However, at high level a barbarian should still be good enough to compete with ogre and trolls. Once you get your first iksar bp your confidence should increase.

But also fashionquest is very important and barbs look cool. Especially with polar bear hats. (May they rest in peace.)
Old 03-22-2021, 09:41 PM
Planar Protector

Barb shaman has a unique racial power no other shaman has

Polar bear form.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Polar bear form.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-22-2021, 10:26 PM
Banned

Play what you want

Min-maxing is for nerds
Old 03-23-2021, 01:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The best way is to get around 12-14 in the halas area and then go somewhere else. You can't run anywhere except the qeynos area at low level, unless you get a port.

But Blackburrow should have people on green and it is still considered a good zone.

Ogre and troll may have more appeal to some people. Taking into consideration that you don't have much time, barb may be harder to level at first but around 15-30 it should easily compensate if you are in groups.

Gear will be hard to get no matter what if you have no funds, which may make ogre and troll seem better, but EQ is a grouping game. However, at high level a barbarian should still be good enough to compete with ogre and trolls. Once you get your first iksar bp your confidence should increase.

But also fashionquest is very important and barbs look cool. Especially with polar bear hats. (May they rest in peace.)
Can start permafrost at 14. Recently boosted xp. Usually high levels around to buff or help break in if needed and still xp to be had in everfrost if you get really stuck.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:45 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And, if we are being honest, to prevent rerolling, I would like to pick a class that has a fun 1-60 experience; I would rather play a race/class that has an easier 1-60 experience than one that would be slightly better with BiS gear (as I am never going to get there).

With all that said, I am currently thinking Barb Shaman. My understanding is that Shammy is good solo or group.
To be totally honest, shamans are not the best solo'ers without gear, esp. pre-doggo (lvl 34) but they CAN solo. They are great in duos, trios, larger groups, even under geared though. Of course at the high end, you will be quite a strong solo'er. Shaman was my first char here, and it was a fun time.

One thing to consider about barb though is night blindness--humans, barbs and erudites have significantly reduced vision at night here (assuming you're on green). Thankfully you get Serpent Sight at lvl 9 so, so hang in there til then. 9 will be a big level.

Quote:
One legit concern is am I going to have to run back to Halas to buy spells every few levels?
There's some spell overlap with other classes (SoW, Levitate, etc.) Those you don't necessarily have to run to Halas for, but the Shaman specific spells are mostly in Halas, Oggok, Grobb (and a few in WK for some reason). You might be able to use the evil cities with the help of druid dog form though, but never tried on a shaman, so ymmv.

I think barb shaman is a good choice. It has good quality of life spells, is welcome in any group, can solo, and benefits from gear (this will give you something to work towards).
Old 03-23-2021, 08:08 AM
Planar Protector

Barb shaman is BiS for Fashionquest, which is all that matters in the end. You have to stare at your character the entire time playing the game, so it should be something you find appealing (I regret my Ogre warrior).

Lots of nerds gonna tell you to go troll / ogre for various reasons. Don't let 'em sway you.

Also I would recommend blue for your outlook on how you want to play the game. Lots of helpful people that will basically give you gear and plenty of open spaces to solo at.

PM me if you want help starting on blue. I have a mule full of starter gear just looking to give it away to someone that could really use it.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:16 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Hey all, thanks for the tips. I just made my Shammy, Skotch, on Blue. Feel free to reach out in game, and thanks in advance for any assistance!
Closed Thread