Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Aviak

Welcome to classic not classic Everquest!

Feel bad for anyone who just bought a bladestopper strings or prayers.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't see how that is relevant to what I said. I admit that P99 is still a great EQ experience - being a classic recreation clearly just isn't the primary objective anymore. This is just one of many changes that have placed engineering a particular play style over staying true to the classic recreation objective.

I am obviously not a fan, and do miss the days when "not classic" was applied consistently - even when the nerfs were annoying. At least we knew what the guiding principle of the project was, and if we encountered unclassic things, we knew to expect nerfs. Now nerfs are just being applied selectively on the whim of the developers, with seemingly no regard to classicness. That is fine if that is the direction they want to go, but hopefully we can stop pretending classic recreation is the primary goal now.
You're confusing classic code versus classic play style, ie experience. They are trying recreating the classic "experience" as much as they can. Wanding raid bosses down was not a fucking thing. The only selective part was how long they waited to put an end to it. They probably incorrectly thought people would actually want to play the game and not cheese their way thru raid bosses and stock pile wands to quad their alts to 50 and subsequently 60 when kunark hits.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Fire Giant

Way to go governor Andrew Cuomo!!! Hats of to
His ass toys Chuck Schumer and company too!

How Stormwulfe saved Sezaru:Listen here: https://clyp.it/miq3u22i
Old 04-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Kobold

All this rage on changes that make the game better. I wonder how much do any of you pay to play? Oh right... nothing... I see. So let the staff who works hard to let you play here for free make changes to their server that ARE in fact better.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneosak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're confusing classic code versus classic play style, ie experience. They are trying recreating the classic "experience" as much as they can. Wanding raid bosses down was not a fucking thing. The only selective part was how long they waited to put an end to it. They probably incorrectly thought people would actually want to play the game and not cheese their way thru raid bosses and stock pile wands to quad their alts to 50 and subsequently 60 when kunark hits.
The problem with this mentality I think is that you will never succeed in creating a classic "experience". You can try as hard as you want but the players know too much about the game at this point to create a truly classic environment.

So you end up going down a slippery slope catered to a very specific play style, but that play style might not be everyones vision of classic Everquest.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't see how that is relevant to what I said. I admit that P99 is still a great EQ experience - being a classic recreation clearly just isn't the primary objective anymore. This is just one of many changes that have placed engineering a particular play style over staying true to the classic recreation objective.

I am obviously not a fan, and do miss the days when "not classic" was applied consistently - even when the nerfs were annoying. At least we knew what the guiding principle of the project was, and if we encountered unclassic things, we knew to expect nerfs. Now nerfs are just being applied selectively on the whim of the developers, with seemingly no regard to classicness. That is fine if that is the direction they want to go, but hopefully we can stop pretending classic recreation is the primary goal now.
This is passive aggressive nonsense.

As an owner of Puppet Strings (in other words, as someone who got screwed by this patch), there is nothing remotely classic about the way clickies have been used on this server. We've had 21 years to min-max every inch of the game to the point that fun, otherwise irrelevant newbie side items (like WC cap and midnight mallets and red wood wands) have become game-altering, borderline exploitative content breakers. On live, I remember spending hours just waiting to get into a full group to do fungi king (which required keeping the entire fungi king room clear). That was "classic." On P99, I've literally solo'd him through a series of invis/root pull mechanics and clickies that nobody knew existed (or at least thought to use in the systematic way we do on P99) on live. Even if the mechanics are consistent with 1999, that's definitely not classic.

These types of patches are good. They enhance what is substantively classic at the expense of mechanically classic content that's been perverted by 20 years of investigation. Next up should be the spawns of raid content and key quest mobs (looking at you angry goblin & Scout Charisa). This conveyor belt raid style where 250 people wait in line for Fear golems to spawn, or 20 people wait in line to /ran for the right to turn in a quest item, is also not classic. Alter the mechanics in whatever way is necessary to bring back surprise pops and bat phones. Make folks who want to turn in to Charisa rush there with enough folks to kill the captain. That's classic.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:06 PM
Orc

Soon we will need a server to recreate what p99 once was.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endonde [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem with this mentality I think is that you will never succeed in creating a classic "experience". You can try as hard as you want but the players know too much about the game at this point to create a truly classic environment.

So you end up going down a slippery slope catered to a very specific play style, but that play style might not be everyones vision of classic Everquest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

Yes, you're right: it's impossible to perfectly re-create the classic environment/experience. But you know what else is impossible? Perfectly classic mechanics! Both have been forever lost to 1999: there are simply some details of how exactly Verant's code worked that not even R&N will ever know.

"Reductio ad absurdum" translates roughly as "reduction to absurdity" or "taking something to illogical extremes". As I said, we can never have a 100% classic experience OR 100% classic mechanics ... but again, the staff never promised either. Pretending they did is why you're having issues with your "absurd" (in the logical sense; I'm not calling you names [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]) frustration: you're taking one of their goals ("keep it as mechanically accurate as possible") and taking it so far that you ignore the real goal of this place (the entire reason why that first goal exists).

What they promised, and what has clearly been the primary objective since day #1, was to make this place as much like 1999 as they can. If you understand that goal, then even if you take some random person off the street, who doesn't even know EverQuest, but you explain that using a certain item (that no one used a certain way in 1999) is letting people do things vastly different things that were never done in 1999, even the person who has never played this game would tell you "that change is keeping with the server's goals."

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-19-2020 at 01:18 PM..
Old 04-19-2020, 01:08 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Only the people complaining are the ones abusing this play style. Nobody used to kill raid bosses in a min. If people did that back in 99, those items would probably have been removed completely.

Kodos for the changes! Will be donating to even further show my support.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by putrid_plum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All this rage on changes that make the game better. I wonder how much do any of you pay to play? Oh right... nothing... I see. So let the staff who works hard to let you play here for free make changes to their server that ARE in fact better.
Sorry to hear you dont donate to help support the server
Closed Thread