Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 02-02-2024, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Use blind, far more uptime on mana, same effect as root - The Shaladin
This can be risky. If the mob gets out of melee range of both players it will start running.

Also, I don't think blinding repeatedly would be cheaper, unless I am misunderstanding.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Flash_of_Light - 12 mana for 2 ticks.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Root - 30 mana for 8 ticks.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Blinding_Luminance - 50 mana for 4 ticks.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Enstill - 60 mana for 16 ticks.

Blind doesn't have the chance to break early, and it generates more hate. But I don't think that will make up for having to cast blind 4x to maintain blind for the same duration as root. In both cases you are spending significantly more mana.

Root is also reduced a bit via Alteration Specialization, where blind is Divination.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 02-02-2024 at 10:08 PM..
Old 02-03-2024, 01:53 AM
Planar Protector

It is crazy that a blind can scale up to 1.7 minutes and max @L34 from a weapon that starts procing at level 1.

Mix in Muscle Lock # when your the right level you can then apply a 55% or even a 60% snare (4% better than Ensnare) with a pretty good duration.

*End result is a pretty long lasting fear kite you can control by moving into melee range.

Probably best to stick to outdoor zones thou using it could be fun.
(thou then again having the shaman then do all the damage through spells just isn't practical.)

Could probably have better results with a ranger w/ the same weapon (casting snare and bow) /w the shaman.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

Between slow, regrowth, and bandages you should be able to stay on top of things. In the high 50’s my ranger duoed with a warrior and we did a similar model to this, trading hits with root, and could pull fairly quickly.

IMHO the blind-gear stuff is gimmicky. Even traditional fear kiting can be obnoxious but at least that’s tried and true. I’d personally keep this more simple. If you are getting hammered with 70%+ slow pick easier mobs.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Between slow, regrowth, and bandages you should be able to stay on top of things. In the high 50’s my ranger duoed with a warrior and we did a similar model to this, trading hits with root, and could pull fairly quickly.

IMHO the blind-gear stuff is gimmicky. Even traditional fear kiting can be obnoxious but at least that’s tried and true. I’d personally keep this more simple. If you are getting hammered with 70%+ slow pick easier mobs.
I tried using bolts, blind and bow in the past on ew orcs and didn’t have much luck with it, but this was without weighted axe gimmick and the bow was probably huntsman - so pretty mid.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-04-2024, 01:36 AM
Planar Protector

We go from.
This game has been worked out years ago /end thread.
To
How do I solo/duo X and Y and we get a useful dialogue filled with alternate + tried and true strats.

I love it.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:05 AM
Fire Giant

Everyone is wrong.

Rogue tanks. Stack AC.

Works fine. Once you're high enough that it's mana possible, root mobs and have the rogue step back to backstab (mob turns to sham for a sec) then back to tanking with shaman in melee range. Until late 50's it's the only meaningful way to do it. Then you just send a tell to /who all monk xx level range, and invite a tank.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:20 PM
Kobold

12/20 mainhand gonna do more white damage than epic if tanking, by a decent margin. 12/20 on many high level raid mobs, Vindi, Tuna, etc. with Ragebringer offhand will do better than the reverse setup. Yea damage bonus!
Balamorm<ALS> - Barbarian Rogue
Deetith - Iksar Monk
Old 02-12-2024, 07:31 PM
Planar Protector

12/20 = sub 7% improvement in melee dps over 15/25
13/20 = sub 12% improvement in melee dps over 15/25

Almost half the benefit of the more traditional MH preference and you lose a point of damage for backstab.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:45 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
12/20 = sub 7% improvement in melee dps over 15/25
13/20 = sub 12% improvement in melee dps over 15/25

Almost half the benefit of the more traditional MH preference and you lose a point of damage for backstab.
Obviously if you have a 15/21 available to you the 12/20 or 13/20 is going away. I don't believe that was the question though. OP only has 12/20, 15/25, or 20/34 slash available to them.

"Only" ~7% or 12% improvement for something as simple as location swapping. Seems simple to me. People spend countless hours camping and raiding for improvements that garner much less improvement than that.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnaak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Obviously if you have a 15/21 available to you the 12/20 or 13/20 is going away. I don't believe that was the question though. OP only has 12/20, 15/25, or 20/34 slash available to them.

"Only" ~7% or 12% improvement for something as simple as location swapping. Seems simple to me. People spend countless hours camping and raiding for improvements that garner much less improvement than that.
For full disclosure I was responding to the previous post, not the OP. I doubt 12/20 MH will do more than match the primary ragebringer in most situations. Raid rogues that MH it can still end up high on the parse. I haven’t seen A 12/20 rogue up there.

The issue is you pick only 7% MH melee dps at an expense of a substantial backstab loss. 55+ you have the chance at double backstabs and discs that radically bump the dps.

The Ragebringer is a slow lumpy weapon. Those 500 damage backstabs though sneak up your DPS. I personally wouldn’t offhand MH for anything worse than a 13/20. As silly as optimizing an offhand is, it’s a better route. At least it’s a very proven one.

As for something as simple as location swapping. People often make bad “free” choices in this game despite the math not making sense.
Last edited by Snaggles; 02-14-2024 at 10:49 AM..