Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-16-2022, 09:22 AM
Skeleton

Default New modem doesn't like P99

We recently upgraded our cable modem, but now I can't connect. It either freezes at character select or drops me back to login after a long pause at server select.

Worked just fine with our previous modem other than the 50/50 crash on login which I have become accustomed to.

I verified that all drivers are updated and am running the current patch.

Port issue maybe? Any ideas? Which ports does P99 use?[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-16-2022, 10:09 AM
Aviak

if you are getting to character select I wouldn't think port issue personally but I'm not an expert.

The login server uses port 5998 but sound like you are getting past that.
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5998

Maybe just reset your tcp/ip at the computer? command prompt as admin then run:
netsh int ip reset

I assume its a modem/router combo, but if you have a stand alone router, maybe it needs reset?

If you are using wireless, and have the option to choose which band to use - i personally have had issues connecting with the 5ghz band and had to switch to 2.4ghz for stability.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:21 PM
Skeleton

I am able to connect immediately after restarting the modem (modem/router combo), but in the event of a login crash I have to repeat the process.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:14 PM
Skeleton

the reset worked, but then it crashed at login [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-20-2022, 08:03 PM
Fire Giant

2.4/3G is for longer distances, 5G is for shorter distances will be unreliable even if 2 rooms down compared to 2.4 Also other things, maybe your OS isn't working well with the new router? Have you tried plugged in without issues?

Log in to your router and maybe change the bands etc. Disconnect 5G try just 2.4g maybe its switching back and forth monitor it from your computer while playing see where it hicups. Change your password to drop IPs from your router, maybe a limit and your getting kicked? You could just be going linkdead in EQ but in other games their timeouts are longer

Could be a IP issue with IP4/IP6? Whats OS?

Its a Modem/Router new one they give you? if u have a router/switch use that out the modem and connect to that instead maybe
Last edited by Shawk; 03-20-2022 at 08:17 PM..
Old 03-20-2022, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

If it's the modem provided by the ISP, check the firewall settings. My old Verizon one would default to "high" where "medium" (block inbound but allow outbound) would be required for p99 to work.

Alternatively, you can add the ports required as exclusions but the how-to on that has a lot of variables. Hopefully, it's something like what verizon did and has a "simple" and "advanced" interface.

Also - you're sure nothing else changed? To confirm you could try connecting via your cellphone hotspot or something temporarily just to rule out anything besides your new modem.

-Mcoy
Old 03-24-2022, 09:26 AM
Skeleton

It's a wired connection to a Netgear C6300 Modem/Router on a Windows 10 PC. All drivers are up to date. I triple checked all settings on the modem. Port 5998 to 8000 are open. I tried it with just port 5998 open, then widened the gap all the way to 8000. I am not running any anti-virus and Windows Defender and Firewall are deactivated.

I tried reinstalling using two different methods (zipped, no-install version and a standard Titanium install) on two different drives, my main SSD drive and a secondary drive where I normally install all my games, with the same results.

I tried a second computer on a wired connection to the same modem and it couldn't connect either. Both froze at character select.

It is obviously an issue with the way the new modem and P99 interact, but, for the life of me, I can't find the problem.

I have no issues connecting to anything else. Other emulated EQ servers work just fine. Asheron's Call private servers have no issues. City of Heroes private servers work without any problems. I even installed a private WoW server just to see if it would work and no issues there.

I am able to get as far as character select, but as soon as I attempt to log on a character it just freezes.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:54 PM
Orc

Have you checked to see if Universal Plug and Play (uPnP) is enabled ? [pg65 in manual]

Quote:
4. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > UPnP.
It should be defaulted to ON but sometimes gremlins happen.

Also,

Quote:
6. Type the advertisement period in minutes.
is defaulted to 30minutes, you can try to reduce that. Maybe try 15 minutes.

-and-

Quote:
7. Type the advertisement time to live in hops.
Maybe increase the defaulted value of this from 4 to 8.

see if you get any improvements from those changes? The UPNP should take care of any ports needing opened or not automagically.

*note: if this solves your problem but you don't want to have upnp enabled, then there must be more ports in either udp or tcp that need to be openend to your machines lan ip.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:31 PM
Skeleton

Thanks for the suggestion.
UPnP was already enabled. I adjusted the times as you suggested. Still the same thing. I click on a character, hit Enter World and it just hangs there. Music is still playing, but no loading occurs.
Old 03-24-2022, 03:59 PM
Orc

Dang. If you had a separate cable modem and router you could try just plugging your computer into the cable modem with no router / nat / switch in the middle to rule out networking issues on your end.

You could try temporarily using the DMZ feature of the router...

Quote:
ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup
You could also try to not run it in router mode

Quote:
ADVANCED > Administration > Router Mode.
This will make the device just a cable modem and not route traffic or do NAT at all

Both of the above are not ideal to run permanently; and will make your computer vulnerable to the outside world. Just trying to rule out networking issues.

You said your old cable modem worked fine. If you disable the "router" functionality of this device and only use it as a cable modem and you still have issues then I would think it can be isolated with the cable modem function of the device. Maybe try to do a factory reset and/or run the setup wizard again.

It's a fairly popular router/modem. I don't see too many complaints with connectivity issues. There was an issue with the modem droping connections but it was resolved with a router firmware update/flash. You mentioned you're up to date on that.

Other silly idiot checks I can think of right now would be to try changing the DNS on the router to something else. Also time/date being off on the router can cause issues (especially certificate issues) but not all consumer grade routers allow altering the time/date.

Also, have you tried any of the other servers on the EQemulator list ? PEQ server for example just to see if you get the same problems.