Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 05-06-2022, 06:12 PM
Planar Protector

I'm with Shamwowi on this one.

~130 HP isn't even the full damage range of a single melee round at the level we're talking about. You're a solo shaman, you pull something that hits for 250's, doubles, you need to soak that until you can malo then get a slow to land, which might not be on the first cast. In no world is the fungus tunic going to be better than the vindicator BP in that environment, even ignoring the resists on the vindicator BP. All that really matters is what happens in the first 10-30 seconds because by that point either you got slow on or you're capping/feigning/dead, maybe stretch it to a minute or so if you're chugging wort pots like they're candy.

Not everyone does that type of stuff; in fact, most don't. The fungus tunic enjoys its legendary reputation because it's so strong for grinding weak experience fodder. If a player's world is limited to bottom feeding karnor trash or sebilis NG or being carried to greatness in 100+ man zerg raids then the fungus tunic is probably better. The fungus tunic scales inversely; since its effect is fixed it always gets better as content gets easier.

Danth
Old 05-06-2022, 06:19 PM
Banned

Fungi unless you're killing dragons.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fungi unless you're killing dragons.
Incorrect. Vindi BP for everything unless you are kiting something like an Ice Burrower (monsters that cannot summon and cannot cast spells). Sadly this is fairly rare, and I wouldn't advise kiting an Ice Burrower as a Shaman, it takes way too long. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsvt1xfuqY this is me kiting an Ice Burrower for an hour.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-06-2022 at 06:28 PM..
Old 05-06-2022, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

I still marvel you had the patience to actually DO that, even if just once. They're slow enough even in a duo.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:33 PM
Banned

Here, fixed. Fungi unless you're killing dragons or soloing SG water elementals.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still marvel you had the patience to actually DO that, even if just once. They're slow enough even in a duo.
LOL I haven't done it since. It was fun to record the video, to satiate my curiosity. But I would never do it normally[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] You can make way more money in an hour doing other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here, fixed. Fungi unless you're killing dragons or soloing SG water elementals.
Still incorrect. Vindi BP is better than Fungi Tunic on a Torpor Shaman.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-06-2022 at 06:38 PM..
Old 05-10-2022, 11:40 AM
Fire Giant

Just be like Tussek and fight with no BP on /nod
Old 05-10-2022, 03:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still incorrect. Vindi BP is better than Fungi Tunic on a Torpor Shaman.
I have to third this, behind Danth. Hard content means you're going to want that extra AC to avoid damage spikes and increase the chance you live long enough to land slow (IE: Cliff Golems, WW Dragons). Easy content is where you think the fungi would get extra points, but the fact remains that Torpor is still so little mana and fills up so much of your life that it's still not worth it.

Example- lets say you're in KC doing something less intense than dragons. I dunno, you have a monk alt and want your Pawbuster or something. Drolvarg Bodyguards are gonna take chunks out of your life as you set up slows and roots as needed, so you'd think the Fungi helps there, but the increased AC from Vindi BP means you have a greater chance to avoid hits and stuns (insert argument for ogre FSI as applicable) and therefore spell interrupts. That's way more important than your regen over time, because landing Torpor is more essential to staying alive.

If you're doing anything easier than a situation like that (Frenzy in Guk for example) then your chest piece is irrelevant anyways. You could just as easily not wear a chest because Torpor will absorb it all. Therefore Vindi beats fungi at all times that matter.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Last edited by greenspectre; 05-10-2022 at 03:40 PM..
Old 05-10-2022, 09:29 PM
Aviak

Kind of seeing a trend of more modestly geared shamans defending the vindi bp. Perhaps that +100 max hp is making more of a difference at that range.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbiterBlixen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kind of seeing a trend of more modestly geared shamans defending the vindi bp. Perhaps that +100 max hp is making more of a difference at that range.
I have seen the opposite. The better gear you get, the less likely you are to use Fungi Tunic. Generally speaking the only time I see a Torpor Shaman rocking a Fungi Tunic is when they have recently acquired Torpor. They are probably still in their level 59 gear.