Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 11-26-2022, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

Red face Enchanters ruined this game for me.

They really did. I never saw people solo anything on live in 1999-2002 just never did.

Every once in awhile some necro would try to solo ghoul lord and die or something cuz pet would break and kill them b4 they could FD butt that was about it.

I hope one day for christmas we can all get a real classic 2.0 (and hopefully red) experience.

G-d bless everyone and have a happy holidays ))) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-26-2022, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

sorry you dont got enchanter hope this helps
Old 11-26-2022, 03:24 PM
Fire Giant

What I don't understand is when I try to make an Enchanter it tells me I can't? How do I unlock this class?
Old 11-26-2022, 03:41 PM
Banned

i think enchanter is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills mermaids and doesn't afraid of anything.

while bestowing dragonbane herbs for my weed pipe
Old 11-26-2022, 03:47 PM
Sarnak

Shouldn't this be over in the Starting Zone?
Old 11-26-2022, 04:16 PM
Banned

Jujumifu = starkind confirmed?

Enchanters on P99:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36B173FD-FAF3-41EB-977B-562E188FB35E.jpg (20.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-26-2022, 07:47 PM
Planar Protector

Old 11-26-2022, 08:49 PM
Banned

I feel the same way, it doesn't feel like the EverQuest I knew.

Vanilla WoW suffers from the same problem. I try to tell my younger friends who aren't old enough to have played OG WoW that back in the day, the majority of people didn't min/max. Dual Wield tanking was unheard of. Warlocks had to deal low damage because they didn't have any way of dropping aggro (dual wield tanking solved this problem in classic launch).

No one cared if you were a Retribution Paladin. To be honest I didn't even know that Paladins were viable healers when WoW launched. Most Druids played cats or moonkins. But when Classic launched, only a handful of classes and specs are considered viable. To pretend like this wasn't always the case is a lie.

Feels the same with EverQuest. I wasn't used to having an enchanter CC everything during pulls, I remember our Druids regularly kiting the mobs around and rooting them and that was just the norm. Now people act like the game is unplayable without Mesmerize and Clarity, and in reality, that's not true.

The charm thing is even crazier. I remember my groups banning Enchanters from having pets in our group because it was simply too dangerous and unreliable; I remember a group in Karnor's Castle where our Enchanter had a pet anyways, a Drolvarg, and while the tank was busy pulling, the charm broke and the Drolvarg basically killed the entire group (except me, because I'm a little weasel who isntantly took off running).

Another thing that no one ever talks about is that the way Enchanters work on P99 is arguably different than the way they worked on regular EverQuest. This is still seen on the TLP's that launch today. On the official servers, all Enchanters build intelligence over Charisma. You can google this, but I'm sure a lot of you already know this. On P99 they build Charisma over Intelligence. So it's quite literally a completely different system.

Now I'm not saying Enchanters weren't known to be powerful while I played 20 something years ago. But I remember the first time I realized it, I had actually been playing for years, and was fairly high level. It was during a Plane of Hate raid where we should have wiped, and I was confused when we didn't, and realized that a single Enchanter easily kept us from dying by CC'ing the adds.

I do remember when PoP came out, I would beg random Enchanters for KEI and Speed of Shissar, so yeah, they were good. But this idea that Enchanter-quest was the norm is far fetched. I remember more Druids using charm successfully than Enchanters, and that's just a fact.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeCat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel the same way, it doesn't feel like the EverQuest I knew.

Vanilla WoW suffers from the same problem. I try to tell my younger friends who aren't old enough to have played OG WoW that back in the day, the majority of people didn't min/max. Dual Wield tanking was unheard of. Warlocks had to deal low damage because they didn't have any way of dropping aggro (dual wield tanking solved this problem in classic launch).

No one cared if you were a Retribution Paladin. To be honest I didn't even know that Paladins were viable healers when WoW launched. Most Druids played cats or moonkins. But when Classic launched, only a handful of classes and specs are considered viable. To pretend like this wasn't always the case is a lie.

Feels the same with EverQuest. I wasn't used to having an enchanter CC everything during pulls, I remember our Druids regularly kiting the mobs around and rooting them and that was just the norm. Now people act like the game is unplayable without Mesmerize and Clarity, and in reality, that's not true.

The charm thing is even crazier. I remember my groups banning Enchanters from having pets in our group because it was simply too dangerous and unreliable; I remember a group in Karnor's Castle where our Enchanter had a pet anyways, a Drolvarg, and while the tank was busy pulling, the charm broke and the Drolvarg basically killed the entire group (except me, because I'm a little weasel who isntantly took off running).

Another thing that no one ever talks about is that the way Enchanters work on P99 is arguably different than the way they worked on regular EverQuest. This is still seen on the TLP's that launch today. On the official servers, all Enchanters build intelligence over Charisma. You can google this, but I'm sure a lot of you already know this. On P99 they build Charisma over Intelligence. So it's quite literally a completely different system.

Now I'm not saying Enchanters weren't known to be powerful while I played 20 something years ago. But I remember the first time I realized it, I had actually been playing for years, and was fairly high level. It was during a Plane of Hate raid where we should have wiped, and I was confused when we didn't, and realized that a single Enchanter easily kept us from dying by CC'ing the adds.

I do remember when PoP came out, I would beg random Enchanters for KEI and Speed of Shissar, so yeah, they were good. But this idea that Enchanter-quest was the norm is far fetched. I remember more Druids using charm successfully than Enchanters, and that's just a fact.
I forgot you can't edit posts, but one of the things that always cracks me up is when people simply disregard players as being unskilled back in the day, and that's not the case at all. I remember EverQuest being extremely cutthroat, people were super motivated to play, these were young teenage boys who poured every ounce of energy into the game. People used to invite me to their groups because I was such an aggressive puller and would actually go KS groups who stole my pulls because I was a Rogue and Rogues could do that.

To me the average person back in the day was way more skilled than what I see now. Half of the P99 population is AFK and it triggers me. It doesn't matter if they are solo'ing, or in a group, they're literally not even paying attention to the game for the most part. I didn't mind it as much as a Cleric, but when I played a Shadow Knight on P99 it drove me mad, I'm literally doing all of the pulling, and tanking. I'm constantly OOM because I don't even have time to meditate, and then I get back to my group and I proceed to sit there getting my ass beat because my group is AFK and not even there to help me kill the mob.

Like this is not a skilled community compared to what we saw back in the day. Maybe more knowledgeable (having access to Google / P99 Wiki basically makes anyone knowledgeable), but I feel like the game was way more competitive back in the day. I remember blacklisting players for not being skilled enough back in the day.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:46 PM
Fire Giant

Sure is a lot of words there, who the heck gonna read that