Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 03-04-2022, 11:06 AM
Orc

So many people solo because there aren't groups to join. People have time limits for playing, and they don't want to spend that time in general chat seeking people to group with, only to have almost no time left to play if and when they finally find a group. I know that ends up by saying that people don't group because people don't group, but it's true. I'm not sure when and how this became EQ culture, but it has been many years, on P99 and on live. One huge problem is that players create new characters and twink them until they are powerful enough that they don't need groupmates. The push to make items no drop and therefore not transferable that way was supposed to end this practice. Then there is multi-boxing, basically soloing while having a group at your disposal. This is supposedly not happening in P99, but I think it is known to be happening. So take it with a grain of salt when people post that they solo certain things, when they are soloing with 5 characters, not one. You wonder how people solo in an MMO game..they chat while they solo and convince themselves they are playing with other people and are part of the community. It sounds silly but it is understandable when you see how people nowadays live their lives. They maintain connection even in real life via SMS/texting. They refer to people they never even see but send messages to as their friends. They are very comfortable without actual contact, and it is no longer a requirement in forming and maintaining a relationship. Why would it be different in EQ? Actual grouping would necessitate observing certain norms of social interaction that they don't even have to observe in real life...why bother with that? So that all just barely scratches the surface of an answer to your question, and a more complete answer could turn into a PhD thesis, but you should get the idea.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:28 PM
Fire Giant

People solo on P99 because the server is unclassic and allows it to be successful and in many ways better than grouping. Classic EQ was designed to force grouping but this is lost on P99 at the moment. Look no further than broken channeling for a major example of why soloing is easier than on live.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:07 PM
Banned

people make too many alts

that's the problem lol
Old 03-04-2022, 01:36 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-04-2022, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
people don't make enough alts

that's the problem lol
Ftfy
Old 03-04-2022, 03:09 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-05-2022, 03:28 AM
Planar Protector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymN3-DjRimw
Old 03-05-2022, 04:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a Massively Mulitplayer Online Role Playing. Why would spend a significant amount of time playing Muliplayer game all by yourself. If you want to play by yourself, why not just play a Single Player game? Like Skyrim, or Morrowind, or really any single player modern, or old game that will have a much better Single Player experience than a Mulitplayer game.
Imagine being confused as to why others can't sink 6-8 hours of gaming in per day. What a fulfilling life. Can't wait for the day when the server goes down permanently and the last decade of their life's dedication is gone in an instant.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:08 AM
Fire Giant

I solo for xp.
Still happy to ask for a port, a SoW, a transfer to my 62nd alt to Arleigh or some shit.
The MM aspect of the MMORPG is still important and why I don't play Skyrim.
It's nice to be part of a world. This is the nostalgia kick.

But, we're 40+ with kids now lol, i can't maintain a friendlist and people to group with for 6 hours a day.

Also I've got like 250kpp worth of twink stuff easy to recycle.

this is not 1999, this is just project 1999.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:14 AM
Fire Giant

Solo, because this game isn't like the others that play like a piano. While other games reward you for pressing buttons real fast, the best players on p99 are pressing as few as possible.