Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 02-29-2024, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You weren't meant to figure it out - people were meant to wander about murderhoboing random mobs and that would eventually spawn the specific mobs other people would kill.

The way we do specific camps and kill no things besides those (so not 'accidently' kill phers for rares in open zones) is far from the expectations of how players would/should play.
Generally agree with you. Although with respect to this quest specifically, I don't often remember seeing groups at pixie camps in LFay just randomly grinding there.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:58 PM
Sarnak

reminder everquest now adapted to the future and made things easy sorry you died in 2004
Old 03-02-2024, 05:20 PM
Aviak

Emergent player behavior is a unique challenge of mmo development. It's kind of silly to even argue over what was or wasn't intended by the devs. The original EQ devs mostly took the right approach though which was to design around the emergent behavior rather than just slam through a quick patch to force player behavior back onto the rails.

Some around these parts even argue that is why everquest was good and modern mmos suck and are bad. The whole idea of "balancing" classes is kind of silly too, to a point. Achieve the perfect balance and now the classes are kinda interchangeable and none of them feel particularly bad or good at anything.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:54 PM
Banned

I agree that imbalance is important and class difficulty should be a personal thing. Many people like how difficult warrior and rogue can be. It's more prestigious to play a good rogue, warrior, or wizard. It's a draw for those classes.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree that imbalance is important and class difficulty should be a personal thing. Many people like how difficult warrior and rogue can be. It's more prestigious to play a good rogue, warrior, or wizard. It's a draw for those classes.
Or at least the people who like those classes.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:17 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or at least the people who like those classes.
Been wanting to play a warrior for years, but feel it would be wasted with my limited play hours and the complete lack of soloability. Sure I could sit at 1 mob that repops every 6mins and probably do fine but feel i would just get burnt out after 4mths of leveling only to be like in my high 30s/low 40s
Ruilden Wreckchords | Level 30 Half Elf Bard of No God |Green|
Maulgar | Level 24 Troll Shadow Knight of Cazic-Thule |Green|
Old 03-02-2024, 07:23 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomnia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Been wanting to play a warrior for years, but feel it would be wasted with my limited play hours and the complete lack of soloability. Sure I could sit at 1 mob that repops every 6mins and probably do fine but feel i would just get burnt out after 4mths of leveling only to be like in my high 30s/low 40s
I've got the same issue. I quit eq because I want to spend more of my limited time / ability IRL.

The trick to doing a war like that's is to kill one mob an hour forever and that's pretty much it. It also starts to take awhile to just kill the mobs once you hit 50+. Can take like ten minutes and you gotta be at a zoneline or in a corner where you can stop push and bandage. Or bug out if you get bad RNG There's a ton of variability in damage in/ out the higher you get.

At that point you really need a static duo. Then it's much easier. I am not really antisocial or psychopathic. I just can't play enough to be there for my friends and I won't just leach exp or beg levels. I want to be able to contribute to others while we play and be there for them. So that leaves cleric/ necro/druid really.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:31 PM
Fire Giant

I mean we don't want brainless quests with a giant exclamation point over the quest giver and a big arrow on your map on where to go, with instructions like "KILL TEN OF THESE BOARS FOR THEIR BOAR ASSES"

I think it's cooler that some quests took years to figure out. The only issue I have is that there is a lot of dead-end and broken quests.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean we don't want brainless quests with a giant exclamation point over the quest giver and a big arrow on your map on where to go, with instructions like "KILL TEN OF THESE BOARS FOR THEIR BOAR ASSES"

I think it's cooler that some quests took years to figure out. The only issue I have is that there is a lot of dead-end and broken quests.
100%

Also I love repeatable style bounty quests like gnoll fangs. Should be tradeskills versions like for the different pottery items so people can level and make some small coin through that.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:28 AM
Planar Protector

I actually like the obscure worded quests of EQ. I just wish they were fleshed out a bit more. Like some previous people already said, too many broken or incomplete quests to really say EQ had a good quests system. I'd still prefer it over the wow style where it totally holds your hand.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch