Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
on live velks was the place for exp and nice loot farm... maybe its not tuned right? or whatever- but velks was "the" place to level in velious timeline
it's tuned fine, mobs in velks always had more hp and did more dmg than Kunark/vanilla dungeons

the key on live was that velious was fresh & new and people wanted the loot and the experience of playing in a new area. on P99, people realize that velks is subpar exp and instead flock to KC/Sebilis (but mostly KC)

i still wish people would spend more time in HS and Sebilis here. it seems fairly hard to find a pickup group for either zone, but KC is almost always packed.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

My recollection was during Velious era, Velks was only a leveling habitat for upper 50s and did not become popular outside that level range until later. Too many misses/resists.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the key on live was that velious was fresh & new and people wanted the loot and the experience of playing in a new area. on P99, people realize that velks is subpar exp and instead flock to KC/Sebilis (but mostly KC)
Live also had twice as many people, or more, than P1999 on many servers and many less at level 60. Pickup groups in popular zones tended to spend a lot of time waiting around for respawns. Velketor's with 20 people is going to be better experience than Karnor's with 80. P1999 doesn't really have sufficient population to overcrowd all the most popular leveling spots so the secondary areas don't see so much traffic.

Danth
Old 12-08-2015, 03:52 AM
Planar Protector

You guys should try drugs.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Planar Protector

Smart people saw this coming. Velious does not offer anything for the casual player.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Kobold

Velious was always harder.
It is a much bigger time sink.
if you examine the number of hours required to just go and play for a little bit, Velious requires much more time than the Kunark era.
So the Neckbeards still get to enjoy there 18 hour EQ day, but little Jonny cannot put more than an hour or 2 gets the rough end of the stick.
for example I might wanted to go and squish a few frogs for half an hour, but now.. if you want to go squish some spiders in velks.. more time is needed. So the older more casual players are affected in this way and do not log in as much.

My guess, (and opinion) This is an initial hit to the player base and I expect that the older zones will be more used again once some content filters down from the neckbeards to the casual 30 minute players.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My recollection was during Velious era, Velks was only a leveling habitat for upper 50s and did not become popular outside that level range until later. Too many misses/resists.
Eh. For us it mostly became popular post revamp (added nameds, itemization etc. -- the way it is now) as a luclin AAXP zone when you couldn't manage a seb ae or chardok ae or a CT loot/xp run. All of that changed when fire ae opened though $$$
Old 12-09-2015, 05:45 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Fire Giant

Velious changed you into a completely jacked Will Ferrell????? Lolololololol =)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:42 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuljin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To answer my friend whom I haven't seen in a while with honesty and hopefully not result in censorship and a forum ban...

People got hip to the fact that Velious zones aren't great XP fairly quickly. Chardok AOE ground to a halt for a while but it picked back up. With the way the "raid" scene has escalated and the fact that most of the people who now play on the server started well after Chardok AOE, people really only roll classes with the specific intent of "raiding" and many of them consider AOE the only viable means of gaining levels.

Seb still gets traffic because its a great zone, great XP, and now with Velious its less populated and there's usually always a good XP camp open. The big money camps are also still camped but with less asshattery. These days everybody is busy "raiding" or getting XP at Chardok in order to "raid." The fact of the matter is due to this "raid" obsession and reliance on plvl the average group of players on this server can't even fight their way down to Chef or Disco in Seb because nobody even cares about group play really at all and they can't hack it. Nobody wants a corpse run in a zone where the population is low enough that a rez at ZL is no longer a sure thing. They also won't play the game without their specific desired group composition.

A lot has changed over the past two years and the server really is different. Metagame has totally taken over and any semblance of "classic" community is long gone. Many players now came from other MMOs and many of the awesome "old school" personalities had life catch up with them and got sick of this server over the passing of the last 6 years. DKP, Guild forums, and a parked alt army have all become status quo and most players here now know no different.

Ultimately the server is in the hands of the players and after 4 years of Kunark the server has come to this. There were some institutions that wished to preserve a sense of tight camaraderie, "classic" gameplay without DKP and headsets, a no-nub no-dead-weight and no-zerg policy, and a "fuck the system" attitude which really is necessary to keep the neckbeards in check, but any such movement has been reduced to smoldering embers due to unbelievable arrogance and a variety of personality disorders and pixel lust.

I am free from the shackles of pixel lust and I just want to play and level toons. No politics, no fellatio, no headsets, just good times and having fun. "Fun" to many players here isn't camping good drops on remote named mobs in little-traversed zones, its chatting in Teamspeak, plvling in order to "raid", and waiting in line for pixels. That's what P99 has become. My friendships on this server were formed through adventure, helping firiends directly get gear and XP and growing as a player, not by voicechat and my raid attendance percentage.

Winter has come and P99 is completely different than it once was. It is what it is. The Velious dungeons will remain low population and everyone will keep waiting for batphones to "raid" because that is what the community has become and nobody knows any different. I will continue to play for fun and have adventures, but barking at people in TS and spreadsheet jockeying is not my idea of a "classic" experience at all whatsoever. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Very insightful, very true post. Another good one to sticky with the caption "why you shouldn't race to 60."