Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 02:34 PM
Banned

Default If Free-Speech falls, we're in trouble

I continue to be amazed at the ability of people to blindly allow people to be silenced and lose their voice under the name of protecting people from "bad/dangerous" ideas. Especially from the generation who grew up in the early internet days when you could find videos and pictures of truly horrific shit and terrible ideas.

It started with Alex Jones and everyone laughed and said yeah well he's crazy so he deserves it. Now look where we are, slippery slope is not a logically fallacy, it's very real and we're living it. The sitting president was silenced and removed from the public square.

When will people realize that Free-Speech is there to protect people from the tyranny of those in power. If we allow the pillar of Free-Speech to fall we are all, including the rest of the globe in for some dark times. Put your feelings aside and embrace the bad ideas.

Do you think the Founding Fathers put the First Amendment first just because or do you think it was because it's the pillar of this whole god-damned thing?

PS: This is not the same as the bakery refusing to bake a cake. There are plenty of bakeries. There are not plenty of Facebooks and Twitters.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:41 PM
Sarnak

Tell me what law congress has made that has limited your free speech. Yeah thats what I thought, back to thinking you have rights on a private social media companies sight.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:44 PM
Sarnak

The president can still go on national television and give a press conference. This like getting mad at a private newspaper that isn't printing your rants anymore because you violated their terms of services multiple times. He already did get a better treatment than normal users
Old 01-19-2021, 03:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The president can still go on national television and give a press conference. This like getting mad at a private newspaper that isn't printing your rants anymore because you violated their terms of services multiple times. He already did get a better treatment than normal users
Old 01-19-2021, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherSioux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are not plenty of Facebooks and Twitters.
How many are there
Old 01-19-2021, 02:46 PM
Sarnak

Facebook and Twitter are not the government.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Facebook and Twitter are not the government.
i'm gonna sue loramin for reverting my wiki vandalisms
Old 01-19-2021, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassawary [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i'm gonna sue loramin for reverting my wiki vandalisms
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And as for FatherSioux, as much as I loved Booter's infographic ([You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]), the real answer to your concern came from Gustoo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Crack open a history book. Best time to be alive is now.
If you crack open A People's History of the United States, you'll see that free speech has been under assault in far, far worse ways throughout American history. We're talking about powerful rich men buying every newspaper in town and silencing all dissent against them. NOTHING at all like one "newspaper" deciding not to print Trump's opinion.

Once you understand where we came from, you'll understand that (as Gustoo said), we truly have more free speech now than ever.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you crack open A People's History of the United States, you'll see that free speech has been under assault in far, far worse ways throughout American history. We're talking about powerful rich men buying every newspaper in town and silencing all dissent against them. NOTHING at all like one "newspaper" deciding not to print Trump's opinion.
Not a terribly good example. Fundamentally little different from the coordinated attacks on Parlor by the usual suspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once you understand where we came from, you'll understand that (as Gustoo said), we truly have more free speech now than ever.
Could you list all the notable people in history who were forever unemployable simply for having the "wrong" opinion on a subject? All the people booted out of school/profession/job due to some joke they made when they were kid? Where fully westernized democratic countries seek to jail/fine people for using the wrong words or simply telling the wrong jokes? Where those same governments compel speech? Where many of the universities in those countries had speech codes?

More idiots on the internet is no metric of free speech.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could you list all the notable people in history who were forever unemployable simply for having the "wrong" opinion on a subject?.
The following ten individuals were cited for contempt of Congress and blacklisted

Alvah Bessie, screenwriter
Herbert Biberman, screenwriter and director
Lester Cole, screenwriter
Edward Dmytryk, director
Ring Lardner Jr., screenwriter
John Howard Lawson, screenwriter
Albert Maltz, screenwriter
Samuel Ornitz, screenwriter
Adrian Scott, producer and screenwriter
Dalton Trumbo, screenwriter
Closed Thread