Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you guys are overestimating just how much a minor change to knight offensives will do anything. It really isn't going to do as much as you are hoping it will.

Also, there are no spell changes coming. Those changes are already in the game per Nilbog (Mobs that need to be immune to something are already specifically immune to it without an artificially high MR to make it so).
As a paladin

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Decaying Skeleton

In this final patch, will we see this?
https://wiki.project1999.com/Circle_of_Surefall_Glade
Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is a few numbers in an array though.

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob...tack.cpp#L4537

Also, the reason why the patches get delayed is purely political reasons imposed by Daybreak, as far as I know?
But again, if that was true, why didn't they just release it with everything else? It doesn't make any sense that Daybreak would care whether P99 releases the entire "Chardok 2.0" patch at once or not. I mean, can you really see someone at Daybreak telling Rogean "Ok, you're allowed to release Chardok 2.0, but don't you dare release those melee number changes as part of it?"

And as for whether it literally requires only "a few numbers in the array" in the code ... c'mon Secrets, you're a dev. You know there's more than just the code: there's updating unit tests, there's the research behind those numbers, there's making sure that the array is the only place that needs changing, there's manual testing, there's ...

I mean, you know the P99 dev team a lot better than I do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But still, even with my limited knowledge of them, it just would make no sense for them to hold off "changing a few numbers in an array", specifically splitting up a Verant patch into multiple P99 patches (something they rarely do), for no reason (or for Daybreak's sake).

It seems far more likely that there was more work to do, so they decided not to release it until that work was done.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtrotman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In this final patch, will we see this?
https://wiki.project1999.com/Circle_of_Surefall_Glade
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] It literally says that we will on the very page you linked ...

And if for some reason you don't trust the wiki, that page links to an Allakhazam page with the date "Nov 9th, 2001". Luclin wasn't released until December 2001 (so there's your answer).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:00 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there's updating unit tests,
I stopped reading there. I think the last time I wrote a unit test, even including industry experience, was like 2007.

We don't really use those here. It's numbers in an array and it won't be that big of a change (it wasn't on live at the time, either)

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptooth2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
going to agree 2 hand weapons do no damage on p99

on retail sks and pal in seb were slashing frogs for 200+ nonstop

here its miss miss 42 miss 89 miss 102 miss miss
Live has way higher skillcaps than even this change did. That's why you are seeing those kind of numbers. I think the cap on 2HS was something like 280 for most classes in Kunark? Plus they have an innate AA that is autotrained for melee / hybrids on live that increases white damage by 45%.

As for the reason why P99 has so many more misses, that can be chalked up to the fact that P99 doesn't use era-specific combat formulas. I believe Rogean tuned the mob stats to produce era-like results, but did not actually implement the proper formula.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 07-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I stopped reading there. I think the last time I wrote a unit test, even including industry experience, was like 2007.
Uh, what? Even our frontend javascript guys are writing unit tests. That's crazy.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] It literally says that we will on the very page you linked ...

And if for some reason you don't trust the wiki, that page links to an Allakhazam page with the date "Nov 9th, 2001". Luclin wasn't released until December 2001 (so there's your answer).
Oooh! I would lvoe for the SFG portal spell to implemented all signs point to it existing before Luclin due to the November, 2001 dates!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uh, what? Even our frontend javascript guys are writing unit tests. That's crazy.
Yeah I have to object to this notion that unit tests are some sort of outdated process. I have never worked on a mission critical project where they were not used somewhere.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you guys are overestimating just how much a minor change to knight offensives will do anything. It really isn't going to do as much as you are hoping it will.
I'm not expecting some godly damage boost or anything, but even those minor skill increases of 20-30 points will help and I think most people will notice it, especially when it comes to melee accuracy. For example, my lvl 51 SK against lvl 35-39 mobs (bloodgills) ranges between 50-75% accuracy(misses only, no evade), 65% average-ish. That's pretty brutal considering his twink gear and the fact these mobs con light blue. The 40's are rough because skills capped until 50+, but for knights, we again get capped at 55. May not seem like much, but I think roughly 9% increases is a pretty nice bump to weapons/offense skill.

230->250 weapons skill = 8.69% increase
230->252 offense skill = 9.56% increase

I will take 9% any day of the week!