Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 12:55 PM
Sarnak

Of all the rules on P99, names seems to be the one NOT enforced even in the slightest.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Sarnak

You would have to change the names of over half the people on all servers if you wanted this strictly enforced. Just not feasible.

Then you have people doing the same thing with phrases or titles, but in languages other than english.

...How far do you want to take this?

How many "Stabbitha Istabyou's" do we need?
Old 01-13-2020, 02:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You would have to change the names of over half the people on all servers if you wanted this strictly enforced. Just not feasible
I agree with OP that it triggers me, but your point is also 100% correct. Raging against it internally is about all I can do.

If nothing else, the idiotic names are a big warning sign.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:21 PM
Server GM

Please petition names that violate the project 1999 rules. We rely on player reports for things such as this.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by galach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please petition names that violate the project 1999 rules. We rely on player reports for things such as this.
Folks, I believe Galach’s post is directed to the community at large. He probably knows I’ve already petitioned a list of names.

Meanwhile, I posted this PSA in an attempt to stem the tide of bad names from the player side.

Secondly, it’s interesting that I merely posted the Project 1999 rules (not my own opinions) and people got mad. Those who think I’m triggered/mad/butthurt may be projecting.

And yes, there are too many illegal names to change, but please at least petition the worst ones you see (racist or otherwise truly offensive); otherwise, how will the staff know about them?
Old 01-13-2020, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Folks, I believe Galach’s post is directed to the community at large. He probably knows I’ve already petitioned a list of names.

Meanwhile, I posted this PSA in an attempt to stem the tide of bad names from the player side.

Secondly, it’s interesting that I merely posted the Project 1999 rules (not my own opinions) and people got mad. Those who think I’m triggered/mad/butthurt may be projecting.

And yes, there are too many illegal names to change, but please at least petition the worst ones you see (racist or otherwise truly offensive); otherwise, how will the staff know about them?
No offense, but if it's not a racist or offensive name, who cares? Does it really bother you if you see a Druid with the name Iportyou or something like that? Frankly, I think it's a stupid name, but if people enjoy playing that way then why does it matter.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You would have to change the names of over half the people on all servers if you wanted this strictly enforced. Just not feasible.

Then you have people doing the same thing with phrases or titles, but in languages other than english.

...How far do you want to take this?

How many "Stabbitha Istabyou's" do we need?
How is it not feasible? They have the ability to force people to change their names don't they? I will gladly sign up to report all the people with dumb names to them.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No offense, but if it's not a racist or offensive name, who cares? Does it really bother you if you see a Druid with the name Iportyou or something like that? Frankly, I think it's a stupid name, but if people enjoy playing that way then why does it matter.
Thanks, I’m not offended. Firstly, our opinions should be irrelevant. It’s the rules.

But since you asked, it actually does suck to log into a Tolkienesque fantasy land to roam the wilds, smite evil, or infiltrate the goodly city of Qeynos...and see a guy called Portsfoplat or Sirnobhead or Stabziez Urfacelol. It breaks our immersion. This is D&D, not a Blizzard game.

I still have fun playing EQ, of course, and I’m not freaking out over any name, but I would like to exert an influence on the server in the direction in which I would like it to go. Making the original post will have the effect of encouraging those who value the naming rules and perhaps discouraging those who would flout them. I hope others will also petition bad names. Then it will be up to the staff.
Last edited by Videri; 01-13-2020 at 04:58 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 04:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is it not feasible? They have the ability to force people to change their names don't they? I will gladly sign up to report all the people with dumb names to them.
I hope you will. I’m saving up names for my next one.

Let the call go out: petition names that violate the naming policy on Green, Teal, Blue, and Red. Do not post the contents of your petition publicly. Just make a list and give it to the GMs and be patient.

I have a little note document where I list bad names so I can deliver them to staff in a batch of 10-100.

I imagine staff change the racist/homophobic/offensive names first, then, if they have time, they go to other stuff like titles and sentences.
Last edited by Videri; 01-13-2020 at 04:59 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

I started my Dark Elf Rogue sometime during Kunark (2000ish) and made it to level 50 a few months after Velious came out. Despite playing since March 1999, I had never leveled a character past 20. But I stuck with this Rogue, joined a guild for the first time, made a ton of friends in and out of the guild. Not one mention of my name ever.

Then one day in LGuk, I privately sent someone a tell kindly asking to go elsewhere that my group was at some camp that he kept taking mobs from. This jackass petitioned my name and some guide came in and renamed my character. So after 42 days /played I was renamed from Ravenprince Levantine to Ravenpride Levantine. I will say this, after that many days /played with that name, it made a difference to me.

I'm all for name policy, but I am a bit more careful naming my character now. At the time I created Ravenprince, I did not realize title could not be in the name. Thanks for the clarification on the naming policy.
Closed Thread