Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Sarnak

Default Warrior VS monk/ranger DPS face tanking?

Who wins the DPS race face tanking warrior or monk/ranger?

Bunch of my friends are putting a static group together and this came up, I've never had a warrior so I'm on the fence on troll or halfling. I know ogre has the min-max stat pool but the regen or sneak-hide really caught my eye

Edit- and just to check, halfling warriors can't use sneak hide at the same time right? Only rogues?
Last edited by Gatorsmash; 01-15-2020 at 05:38 PM..
Old 01-15-2020, 06:09 PM
Kobold

All halflings have basic hide/sneak. Only rogues can skill-up in it though.

Target mob, click hide until they con indifferent. Then click sneak until it says "You move as silent as a cat stalking its prey".

When moving while hidden and sneaking, it is extremely slow. You move at a slow walk. Just FYI.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Assuming you are intending to go with a leveling/grouping toon an average geared monk will out class a warrior in damage every time.

As long as its an iksar monk it will have enough sustain with mend/regen and AC mitigation to tank as well if not better than a warrior except for some named.

So enjoy your new iksar monk I guess is what I'm sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineubis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All halflings have basic hide/sneak. Only rogues can skill-up in it though.

Target mob, click hide until they con indifferent. Then click sneak until it says "You move as silent as a cat stalking its prey".

When moving while hidden and sneaking, it is extremely slow. You move at a slow walk. Just FYI.
They only stack for rogues.
Celent - 60 Sorcerer!
Stratah - 58 Troubadour!
Joan - 58 Knight!
Colin - 52 Rake!

Guild Leader of <Eclipse>
Old 01-15-2020, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

Troll and Halfling are solid choices. Hard to argue with the raw stats and regen that a Troll has to offer BUT their sheer size is something to consider if you guys will be frequenting dungeons. If you have a Shaman in the group.. shouldn't be a big deal as they get the Shrink spell relatively early.

DPS wise... assuming things are pretty equal as far as weapons/haste goes.. typically it's going to be Monk>War>Ranger.

You're also correct in that Halfling Warrior (or any class outside of Rogue) cannot use hide/sneak in combination to get around. Hide can be used for invis/ivu and sneak can be used to be.... sneaky. Just gotta stay behind the mobs for the most part
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 01-15-2020, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who wins the DPS race face tanking warrior or monk/ranger?

Bunch of my friends are putting a static group together and this came up, I've never had a warrior so I'm on the fence on troll or halfling. I know ogre has the min-max stat pool but the regen or sneak-hide really caught my eye

Edit- and just to check, halfling warriors can't use sneak hide at the same time right? Only rogues?
Are you talking about blue or the new servers?(it matter big time) And no, a halfling warrior cannot sneak and hide at the same time. You can only sneak, so you have to stay outside of about a 120% degree angle in front of the NPC.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:08 PM
Sarnak

If you root mobs, face tanking hardly matters really. But if you want snap agro, since warriors got wrecked in chardok 2.0 patch, Id say SK or monk personally.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you talking about blue or the new servers?(it matter big time) And no, a halfling warrior cannot sneak and hide at the same time. You can only sneak, so you have to stay outside of about a 120% degree angle in front of the NPC.
Starting new on green. I have a level 9 human monk now but was going to reroll warrior to tank mobs better with an actual healer, but since it's going to be only 4 of us wondered if the difference in dps would be noticeable aka my shadowknight dps (my sk is too high level currently) to us
Old 01-15-2020, 08:23 PM
Planar Protector

A monk gets absolutely nothing close to something like DPS of a mith 2 hander. So its probabaly going to come down to how good gear the warrior has versus monk.

you could try during the low to mid levels swapping in a decent 2 hand blunt attack between your off and attacks. But it would probably kill your AC as all the decent 2hd weapons weigh a ton.
Last edited by DMN; 01-15-2020 at 08:28 PM..
Old 01-15-2020, 10:29 PM
Planar Protector

What’s the rest of your team and what are you trying to do? A bard can tank in xp groups even on green.
Closed Thread