Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I highly doubt the problems they have have anything to do with actual coding errors. I think it more has to do with errors in the formulas they are (or are not) using. Things like: what chance does having 75 block give you to actually block an attack, etc.

On the logic side they are probably missing info like: what is the appropriate distribution of the DIs over certain attack/defense values. The math behind this stuff isn't too difficult, and if they've come as far as they have on their own I doubt they'd have much trouble implementing it.

The big thing I think they are missing is reliable data. Until they get reliable data, what's the point of fixing anything? Replace incorrect mechanics with more incorrect mechanics?
What's a step into the dark? It can't be in the wrong direction.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

there are realtime parsers that will read your file as you dps and you can get an easy to read read-out, and im sure they wont ban you for something like that.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Aviak

I looked at that beastlord article about defensive stats.

He may be right for all I know, but I can tell you that in live pc's and npc's played by different rules.

The best fighting a melee was ever going to do was going ld in a fight and having them become an npc for a bit.

Or look at how much sheer damage a pc player does when they get charmed.

I guess it is due to the fact that most often we fight things that are maybe 10 levels lower to us, and when we become npcs we keep our level.

So if you are in a group fighting level 40 mobs and go ld it is like a level 50 mob suddenly appearing on the scene. Not a ... well intentionally handicapped character.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Excellent start guys ill take a better look at the links when I get home as its frustrating to check out much on my blackberry.

I really wish a dev would post and shed a little light on us about what is known and within what guidelines we are allowed to work with.

I really appreciate all the posts and discussion on the possible cause of the errors.

This is exactly what our eq community should be!!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Aviak

I just want to say that guy's approach is fine for pvp. For all that ac mattered in pvp honestly.

but mobs and pc's are different things.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Something just dawned on me!

If anyone has the orig cd couldn't u install that and play the demo? U fight a skeleton on there could u parse a couple fights with the skeleton and look at the difference?!

That's bare bones core orig melee data right there!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

We know nothing about the combat system in that demo, it could be extremely simplified and/or coded very differently from live.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Fire Giant

im pretty sure you can't lose the figth vs the skelly in the demo, iirc it was a script you participated in, not a real fight.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

That might be true

However I don't see why they would impliment different versions of the same formula like that. It might be well worth checking into seeing as we don't have much else to work from.

Why not figure out the demo mechanics something that is available and based off something similiar to what we know as classic eq melee mechanics.

I feel it ashame to just disregard it when we can use it impliment it and see where that formula puts us at level 5,10, 20 etc

It might just be that simple
Old 11-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Didn't see last post are we sure its actually a script and not an actual fight?
Where is this proven?
Closed Thread