Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Planar Protector

http://samanna.net/eq.general/effects.shtml

Another great site about the EQ combat system, with graphs.

http://crucible.samanna.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&p=82927

More of the same, Mitigation Information with formulas.
Last edited by Dolalin; 11-16-2009 at 04:59 PM..
Old 11-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Planar Protector

Ho ho ho, GOLD:

http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum...ead.php?t=5868

Chart of defensive mitigations, by class, from parse info!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahleted [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Something just dawned on me!

If anyone has the orig cd couldn't u install that and play the demo? U fight a skeleton on there could u parse a couple fights with the skeleton and look at the difference?!

That's bare bones core orig melee data right there!
I have the EverQuest Beta 4 CD still.... i wonder how good or bad the data would be in that. Hahah!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Kobold

I have the original discs for Vanilla, Kunark, and Velious (and all the way through GoD). If there's anything I can do to help let me know.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahleted [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't see last post are we sure its actually a script and not an actual fight?
Where is this proven?
I don't have any proof other than my memory, although others may have a screen shot or video they could post of the old tutorial.

But what i remember is you would start the fight, and after 1 or two swings it would pause the combat and say something like "whoa that skelly is kicking your ass, maybe you should try nuking him" well thats not what they said but its close. And so you would nuke it, bam, and it would die.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I have the orig cd myself somewhere it would take me a day to locate it. Nice find Dolalin! It's great to see all this info and ideas coming together.

Criticism to these ideas is good as long as its followed by proof of why it wouldn't work not just memory. After all it's going to take a good amount of pooled idea's and criticism to get us on the right path and eliminate the road that leads us to a dead end.

Summit your request to help hasn't been disregarded its exciting to see so many people taking interest in helping out as far as implementing the help into something we are at a standstill until we can get some more ideas and information into this forum to point us into a solid direction. Then we can begin to share the formulas for everyone to review and poke at hopefully the more experienced eyes on it the better. As to if the Devs would want that we don't know... Noone has responded to this post yet to guide us.

I had no idea this post would take off with such great minds and ideas putting the effort in, really guys kudos for showing the initiative to fix the melees. All of the sources of info flooding in and ideas shows great prospects for a resolution being discovered quicker than anticipated.

As for the beta 4 cds I'm unfamiliar with them or eq beta however would it be easy to pull the info from them? Can you even play it without needing to log in? That could be valuable.

Also, If a dev is reading this could you please please please chime in and shed some light on what we are trying to do here?

Thanks again to everyone for donating their time into research and posting some great ideas.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
One interesting thing to note is that with all the threads about getting hit so often people keep referring to their AC but not their agility.
As surprising as it may seem, this is because agility never had any influence on avoidance. None whatsoever. The only defense-related thing agility did was give a tiny bonus (or penalty if under 75) to your armor class. It is an ancient, all-too-common misconception that agility makes you dodge more, but it didn't, and neither did dexterity affect your chance to land hits or make you swing faster or anything like that. This was tested and parsed to death a trillion times over and the only people who still think it worked that way are people who believe everything they hear or make assumptions based on what they feel things ought to be like.

People initially thought that agility helped your avoidance, and that's because it's very easy to notice a placebo difference when you fully believe it's there. People wore agility gear en masse, but once they learned that it actually didn't do very much, they stopped, and agility was soon known to be a virtually useless stat. A lot of emu servers code agility avoidance and dexterity hit chance into their servers because they think it should be there, and this only makes more people think it should be that way. They never stop to consider if the fact that none of the experts make any mention of agility in those countless threads that detail EQ's defense system might actually mean it didn't do anything.
Last edited by Throttle; 11-16-2009 at 07:26 PM..
Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Sarnak

Character creation:

Agility is one factor in determining your avoidance--how often NPC's will miss when trying to hit you. It also increases your chances to gain points in some combat skills.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Aviak

but it didn't.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Sarnak

I'm not doubting you, but it's pretty easy to see where the rumor came from.
Closed Thread