Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lots hated the bazaar. They say it killed the buyer-seller social interaction. How is that a bad thing? I've never had a meaningful interaction while trading.
The bazaar is easier and more efficient, nobody argues that. The interactions between live traders in EC/GFay/NFP were never enriching or life altering. It's just what you have to do in classic everquest to trade items. The requirement to coordinate with other players is part of what gives the game its 'soul', if you will, and it loses some if its charm when you don't have to.

Even if you find it annoying and inconvenient, the game would feel boring and meaningless without these kinds of hurdles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lots hated the spires and easier transportation, too. I've never had any meaningful social interaction with a porter either.
I don't really think that Luclin affected the porting dynamic in classic EQ at all, as the spires were more of an alternative to boats than ports.

It was the books in PoP which removed the requirement to coordinate with other players in order to quickly move around Norrath. Again, there isn't anything rewarding or enriching about soliciting a port, but the fact that you must have assistance from a druid or wizard to travel instantly across multiple zones is a defining aspect of the classic era. The game started to feel lifeless when this requirement was removed, even if it was more convenient that way. It also robbed druids and wizards of a huge exclusive class benefit. It was never about great friendships being forged with <Dial a Port> members.

Quote:
I often see the "aliens and spaceship" argument, which is downright parroting the WoW argument when TBC came out. There is no spaceship in Luclin.
There may not be spaceships, but Luclin shifted the primary setting of the game in a way that made it feel disconnected. All of Norrath had a very cohesive feel to it, and moving the current content to a different world destroyed that.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Orc

Personally I stopped playing live the first time right around Luclin as my puter couldn't handle the graphics and made the whole zone a giant miserable lag. I returned a few years later to a total different game that had two people left from everyone I knew before and had zero social interactions. I will leave comments on what caused that to those that were there.
What I want to say though, I really don't understand people that come to a free server running a game by volunteers who have said "this game will run only until this point" and the first thing they do is say "can we go further"? It really is mind boggling.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Planar Protector

The spires were virtually required. Why? Because each expansion kept making the world bigger and bigger and bigger which was spreading players out too much. This had these effects:
1) Makes it harder to form a group because have to travel further
2) Spreads out players thinly so they see and interact with others less

So: The spires actually improved the community. Believe it or not.

A lot of players say it was better when everybody bartered or sold things in EC or GF. But what they miss is the extensive use of the forums for trading. Many players on p1999 use the forums to sell their stuff! So the talk about it improving the community is untrue, since so many are choosing to use the forums. I would not be surprised if this was true back when Velious was live. Forums were invented long ago.

Right there I just shot down two the popular reasons Luclin is hated.

BUT I agree SOME of the player models suck. Some of the animations attached to them suck too. Moreso, the number of polygons in the environments/models was greatly increased and doesn't jive well with the much lower poly areas in pre-luclin zones. So on a purely visual stance, Luclin is a huge departure from the older game.

I also agree the CHARACTER of the zones/races/monsters changed. The names were strange, like someone else said Barg Berg Xar Fiend XI. There were creatures that resembled aliens. In general, a lot of the creatures and enviros were strange. It reminds me a lot of later expansions like GOD and OOW. I did not like the feel of the visuals in Luclin/God/Oow/etc. Reminds me of Morrowind too - had a lot of strange things.

Someone said they added ZEMs immediately prior or after Luclin. I agree this did have an appreciable affect on the population in older zones. It moved a lot of players into Luclin or Kunark, leaving older zones more empty. The Paludal Caverns is a wonderful example. Not only did it have a high ZEM, but it was nextdoor to a city AND the bazaar. There're also many cases where ZEMs moved players from one segemnt of the old world to another, meaning parts of the old world were more empty than others.

Regarding Paludal Caverns:
  • Older zones had alreayd been destroyed somewhat by the ease with which players could buy kunark/velious armor/weapons/etc. Items received in older zones and quests were almost worthless by comparison, meaning the sense of reward was diminished. This happened before Luclin launched.
  • For a new player who wasn't a cat to get to Paludal Caverns they had to find a spire which meant some potentially dangerous travelling. They also had to find a bind, as Soulbinders weren't available yet. It was really only older players who took full advantage of the Paludal Caverns. This of course is what would happen on p1999 since so many here know the game so well. However, some might stay in the old world anyway since even with Luclin p1999 is still the most genuine progression server in existence.
  • Paludal Caverns usually was full. So players would spread out a bit on the assumption it was full. This didn't stop a lot of players from moving to Luclin anyway to level up. It kept some in old world.

Those are my thoughts.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 04-10-2015 at 09:32 PM..
Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Planar Protector

That's a fantastic post ^
Last edited by Cecily; 04-10-2015 at 10:30 PM..
Old 04-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh baloney. The Nexus port was like taking a boat: slow, clumsy, rarely gets you close to your final destination. The Nexus port was almost infinitely inferior to hiring a porter unless you were flat broke, and it was a godsend if you were playing at odd hours and there were zero porters available for hire.

The wizards and druids who offered port & translocate for hire services made the world small. The nexus port reinforced and emphasized the size of the game world by making you walk to & from a single hub per continent.
Are you trolling?
No, are you?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Banned

this forum thread should be in off topic.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:44 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 staff catered to the lowest denominator when they added the loot pinata rules.
I thought the lowest common denominator was all the people who spend all day in game (if you think about it).

I guess the welfare/diability check is like a loot pinata [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]?
Old 04-11-2015, 03:21 AM
Kobold

Yet another "why can't we have luclin/pop on the anti luclin/pop server?" thread.

Jesus, if you like the post velious expansions why do you play on this server? Why don't you play on one of the other servers that have those expansions? You know, the expansions that drove most of us to seek out project1999. Every week somebody starts this thread. Shit get's old. This server is called project 1999. The clue is in the name. This server was created by players, for players who didn't like it when sony took a giant dump on their beloved game in the form of luclin and subsequent expansions. Stop trying to turn project 1999 into project free live everquest every week.

God damn.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People Q-Q that it drew away from the fantasy realm.

Which is dumb. A planet having a moon and having wizard using spires to teleport to this other moon sounds like it fits into Fantasy as well. Not that different than finding a new continent like Kunark or Velious.
Exactly. At the end of the day, no one was fighting aliens in space; they were just fighting more magical creatures in more magical zones.

Nor do I agree that the Bazaar and spires adversely changed the community. If anything they only enhanced it.

That said, if the Devs want to stop at Velious, I'm more than cool with that. Better than nothing. I'll scream every week for cats on the moon, but only between my having lots of fun playing P99.

/cheer Devs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86753o9 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jesus, if you like the post velious expansions why do you play on this server? Why don't you play on one of the other servers that have those expansions?
Basically, the boxing rule is the only reason I'm here, not any kind of grognard ideal. It wasn't until long after Ykesha that things started to get bad, imo.
Last edited by myriverse; 04-11-2015 at 07:20 AM..
Old 04-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86753o9 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yet another "why can't we have luclin/pop on the anti luclin/pop server?" thread.

Jesus, if you like the post velious expansions why do you play on this server? Why don't you play on one of the other servers that have those expansions? You know, the expansions that drove most of us to seek out project1999. Every week somebody starts this thread. Shit get's old. This server is called project 1999. The clue is in the name. This server was created by players, for players who didn't like it when sony took a giant dump on their beloved game in the form of luclin and subsequent expansions. Stop trying to turn project 1999 into project free live everquest every week.

God damn.
First, take a deep breath, you seem mad.

Now, this thread (and all the others) are not official petitions or campaigns to move away p99 from it's original intentions. We're only discussing the reasons why we think Luclin is great.

We are aware that Luclin/PoP are never going to happen and we're fine with it, so don't worry, it's just a discussion.

Now to answer your question about why we play on here? Well in my case it's simple.

The Everquest i love to play are the Luclin/PoP eras. So it's a choice between p99 and live, p99 being the closest one to these eras.

I'm aware there are other emu servers, but none have limits on boxing, so when you see 350 players in the login screen, that means there's about only 100-150 real people playing, if that. Community is important in EQ, and p99's community is fantastic. Not so much the on forums, but in game i've met tons of people and made friends since the first day i started playing here. The server feels alive, so despite a lack of Luclin/PoP, it's great to play here because of the people.

P99 is also incredibly well-managed. The server is very authentic, no weird xp modifier and custom items that make everyone overpowered. The dev team and GMs are making a lot of efforts to provide us with a top-notch server. They're doing a mighty fine job, considering they're all volunteers and nobody makes a cent off of it.

So i guess what i really want is a PoP server, but with p99 community and ruleset. Call it Project 2004 or Project Golden Age i don't care, but that's exactly what i want. In the meantime, i'll keep playing p99 and bitch about the lack of Luclin/PoP and how it would be better with AAs and new spells/content, but it doesn't mean i don't enjoy the server as it is right now.

And i know i'm not alone.