Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:59 PM
Sarnak

There's definitely no denying that the base gameplay/classes/mechanics in Classic->Velious was old and stale by the time they launched Luclin. Sorry, it's just a fact. People may not agree with Luclin, but Luclin+PoP = a great combo. Even LDoN and GoD made for a good combo as it explored Augs (which was a worthwhile game addition) and instancing.

For all the hate that the Moon gets, there's no denying that it's a real shame there is no Emu with as high of a production value as P99 working on Luclin+PoP.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumjum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the description of someone who likes things given to them and not have to earn them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
I liked coordinating a raid to take on Rathe council.

You know the raid where you have to offtank 6 mobs that quad for 2k when tanks barely can reach 10k HP buffed. Also you had to mez 6 mobs at 5%, and keep them Mezzed for several hours. Then when all were ready you had to kill them within a 7 minute window. Keeping enchantees coordinated to lock down mobs and groups of Offtanks alive to deal with unmezables was a feat in an era when there wasn't much voice chat prevalent, and your raid was 60 people with about 10-15 boxes.

Suggesting PoP was an era when things were handed to you is laughable, especially at the raid level. PoP was far more challenging than any Content in Velious. Velious is all corner tank 1-2 AEs and maybe rampage and flurry, but that's it. It's extremely bland when you compare it to PoP.

PoP simply had better groupable content, better raid content, better tradeskills, some solid quests, awesome lord, and about the closest they ever got to balancing the PvE game at the group and raid levels.

A man can dream one day a server locked in PoP will exist with the attention to detail that P99 pays. Or SOE sells the EQMac client and code to someone who then hosts an Authentic PoP server with Classic UI restrictions, AC, Combat tables, everything. Mmm soo tasty
Old 04-14-2015, 10:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which were? I don't see any deviation from "classic" in Luclin.
You can't be serious....

In addition to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the lessened importance of race/faction
SoL introduced a new graphics engine, Alternate Advancement, the Bazaar, horse mounts, bane weapons, and beastlords.

Get it together, Daldaen.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
PoP simply had better groupable content, better raid content, better tradeskills, some solid quests, awesome lord, and about the closest they ever got to balancing the PvE game at the group and raid levels.
PoP sucked donkey balls for casual players. It was a shit sandwich smothered in shit gravy unless you were a dedicated raider. Most useless EQ expansion ever for the casual: "Here have some free shit handed to you with zero interesting gameplay attached, now go away except we want you to keep paying that subscription fee every month." Original+Kunark were immeasurably superior to PoP if you weren't drinking the EQ raider kool-aid.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 PM
Developer

Luclin/PoP = 80% time in Bazaar or PoK

I'll stay in Norrath.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumjum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the description of someone who likes things given to them and not have to earn them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
This is a quote from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

You ever raided in PoP, son? I'm guessing you haven't considering the uneducated remark you made about his opinion. PoP endgame was increasingly difficult without the right toolset. PoW for example. If you didn't know that shit was challenging as fuck when the top guilds attempted it, you are definitely not worthy of what you just said.

It took me a year to get that sword off the prismatic dragon in PoValor for my paladin... and it looked fucking sweet as fuck too. Best 2h graphics in the game at the time imo.

Join us!!! Visit Asgard today!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 PM
Fire Giant

Not to mention when we finally got to PoTime it was broken and we took a raid suspension for actually getting as far as we did for no god damn reason... Literally a raid suspension for testing ourselves in a plane we deserved to finally be in after a lot of effort.

I still love you Jumjum, but PoP wasn't all about handouts. It had an intense and contested endgame as well as a fuckton of quests that were dealing with the Gods and demigods themselves, which was amazing as hell, even to the casual.

Join us!!! Visit Asgard today!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:56 PM
Kobold

Shit handed to you for free? Yeah..

Like Daldaen said, the rathe council event in PoE was extremely challenging, because one mistake or bad luck, it was over.

I remember us doing it, the whole thing took hours. Everyone had to pay attention and stay focused. Overdps and kill the mob? Wipe it and start over. Chanter gets a bad string of resist and mob wakes up? Chanter gets 1 rounded, mob is free and attacking everyone in the mez-cave, that's another wipe.

Thinking PoP was a welfare expansion with handouts is ridiculous. Not only the raids were hard, but you also had to compete for them, and competition was ferocious. Between guilds and between players in the same guild too. The drama over Blade of War from RZ... Guilds disbanded because of that shit.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PoP sucked donkey balls for casual players. It was a shit sandwich smothered in shit gravy unless you were a dedicated raider. Most useless EQ expansion ever for the casual: "Here have some free shit handed to you with zero interesting gameplay attached, now go away except we want you to keep paying that subscription fee every month." Original+Kunark were immeasurably superior to PoP if you weren't drinking the EQ raider kool-aid.
There were new quests and tradeskills available. There was a neat group flag system that led to Tower of SolRo, BoT, HoH, etc. You got rewarded, in the end, with challenging group content and ornate.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:36 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin/PoP = 80% time in Bazaar or PoK

I'll stay in Norrath.
Yeah I agree, because using the tools provided on this website for people to know what you are selling or sitting in ecommons all day is way different.

On topic. Most of the hate is derived from ignorance OP. People use stuff like "cats on the moon" to validate the hate for an expansion for a game that is about fantasy. Most stuff like the 30 min spires and bazaar are actually completely irrelevant and just more BS to be spewed to try and validate the hate some more.

I do understand the hate for the graphics though. That being said its 2015 and if you are playing EQ in the first place because you think the graphics are phenomenal then there is other issues at hand. It does though take away from the "nostalgia" that some people are looking for. Luckily there was this really cool thing you could do called not enabling them.

I'm sure though wether it was ever implemented or not, the pop would stay roughly the same, and honestly with the talked about "green" server it would be interesting to see the devs keep imitating live better then live.

This all being said, Luclin AND PoP both caused NO negative impact on the game and was not "the beginning of the end" so many people try to claim, hence the growing subs that existed during that time. Again, it is completely fabricated that some majority of population somewhere in no where land hated Luclin, because it's not true. Maybe the majority on this forums, but I can't speak for that nor feel you would ever get accurate condenenses given the amount of trolls etc.
Closed Thread