Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 04:11 AM
Planar Protector

Default Windows 7 - Best or Best OS of all time?

Weigh in here.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 09-03-2016, 06:00 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

I haven't heard a good enough reason to move to 10 yet. Both 8 and 10 seem to be just a beefed up version of 7. I tried 8 and found it to be horrible. Would like to hear some good reasons to move to 10.

As soon as a game I really enjoy is build with DX12 I'll probably make the move, but I'm hoping that by then Vulkan will be a viable alternative.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

I waited a year before saying fair thee well to win7 and installing winx. Really, hasn't been a good Windows release since.......... oh I guess since xp. er maybe 98se.... hmmmmm. The best they had for stability and control, with xp more stable and 98se more control.

I don't hate WinX, but just really poor control.You can have that OS in any color you like as long as it's in blue.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ole_jpn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
my win8 installation, fairly early in its life cycle, (my only non-pirate copy of Windows in many years incidentally) ate shit multiple times, requiring a reformat to even boot for no apparent reason. Not a problem I have ever had with any other OS. Couldn't recover it or get it to boot even into safe mode, etc.

Swore off anything newer than 7 after that. I don't have another 10 hours to spend fucking around with stupid dogshit product that does nothing but arbitrarily unlock a few terrible AAA games and implement the latest ways for the NSA and ad agencies to analyze my psyche.
This right here happened to me on 7. What I did was rollback my system to a month earlier and then shut updates down permanently.Around April 2016.

Problem solved, no more system failure/instability.

I'm going to use 7 on my new rig too. 8.1 is just an ugly wannabe OSX and 10 is a spy system. Did you know they had to make a version of 10 called Windows Enterprise for corporations and businesses because they demanded less spying and spy features?

Pretty scary.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:56 AM
Fire Giant

10 is a joke. Stay on 7.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AenorVZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
10 is a joke. Stay on 7.
How long can we stay in 7 is the question?

I heard Intel and AMD are dropping support soon. Need the article linked can't find it.

They said no new chips will be made for Windows 7 or 8 and will fail to work from this date forward.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

I was disappointed with win 10. Have scrapped windows and installed Linux Mint. Ive used Mint/Ubuntu for years but held off on my main PC for a few programs/games but now so many options exist that remove the need for windows. Steam makes gaming on Linux pretty effortless. Everything else I can use Wine or a VM for.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

They will drop them pretty soon most likely. I bet win7 they will announce the countdown within a year, pull the plug by two years this time. They are less worried about you and more worried about large businesses. Business side, they are worried about their 3rd party software compatibility. Then people that turn off patch updates between now and the end of time just want to be hacked of course [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And yeah, this is my last system with a win/linux dual boot. Well, dead system I guess now, the desktop kaput officially. I stuck WinX on my laptop (had Ubuntu on it for years) so I can use my legacy line 6 guitar port. Then when I get around to a new desktop and laptop (when 3D XPoint hits market), this one will just sit un-networked with my guitars and keyboards [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Daywolf; 09-04-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Old 09-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Going back to Windows 3.x, I've never really had a problem with any version. Never had a serious crash. Never needed to reinstall. Didn't like the looks of 8, but whatevs.
Closed Thread