Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 11:52 PM
Planar Protector

Question Dust Abatement - Helpful Tips (vaccum info) Wanted

Basically too many unused areas have led to very large amounts of dust buildup over the years.

I tried to get down and dirty with it, but the dust is far too volatile. I live in a building with 225 separate units, with central circulation and carpeting. As well as being directly on top of a 4 level parking garage with direct annex access straight up the entire building due to the elevator system. The elevator system also allows immediate access to your unit without walking off any dust and debris on the stairs for example.

Basically, it's not your average household dust buildup. We're talking hundreds of contaminants, mold, micro fungus, dead microbes, and so on. (I've read rubber and automobile parts are typically found in building dust too).

Effects of disturbing the dust range from viscous mucus response, mild inflammation of the throat, loss of sense of taste/altered taste (lasts over 24 hours easily), possible burning eyes, throat and constantly having to clear your throat over the next several hours after exposure. Haven't got pneumonia (knock on wood) from any of exposure yet.

I realize an N95 is mandatory and that I should also probably invest in some goggles.

My main problem, is actually cleaning it appropriately. I have plans to take the clothing and other storage items and send them to the dry cleaners.

There are areas where my vacuum just isn't a good vacuum for the job. Throw-away bag vacuums are not really sold in stores anymore, and I can't be emptying a cup or vacuum container.

TLDR: You know a good vacuum with a bag? please tell me what you have. Needs to be good for this kind of job, but any good well-manufactured bag is better than none.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 09-08-2016, 11:59 PM
Planar Protector

recently got a shark vaccuum that picked up way more shit than old crap vaccuum, however, this was dry dust and the way you described it, it may be wet... is your carpet glued to hardwood floor? you be spillin shit?... if its real bad might just be better to get carpet replaced... but i dont really know at all...
Old 09-09-2016, 12:13 AM
Planar Protector

Basically any vacuum with a disposable bag is an upgrade for my situation.

A filtered vacuum with a detachable cup doesn't work.

I need a vacuum that uses disposable bags.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:41 AM
Planar Protector

Can't slack on the dusting man. Once the vacuuming is done, stay on top of it. Vacuum me and the roomies use works well for the 5 bedroom house we share. It's an old hoover with a reusable catcher. For the hardcore clean try an Oreck. Reasonably priced product.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:33 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Check out Riccar vacuum cleaners. They are pretty powerful and have bags. We have used this type in our home for the past 10+ years.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:48 AM
Banned

step 1. take two thousand five hundred united states dollars in singles and lay them all around your house

step 2. wait for a kirby vacuum sales rep
Old 09-09-2016, 02:16 AM
Planar Protector

Moving sounds a lot easier

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 09-09-2016, 02:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't slack on the dusting man. Once the vacuuming is done, stay on top of it. Vacuum me and the roomies use works well for the 5 bedroom house we share. It's an old hoover with a reusable catcher. For the hardcore clean try an Oreck. Reasonably priced product.
Believe me, I realize how badly I have fucked up and I am paying for it. Can have mild contact dermatitis sometimes if its been a stressful week. Ill have lines drawn throughout my forearm area where I was resting my arm from the creases on the sheets. Bed can be 100% sterile doesn't matter. (its a general skin thing that once you develop, has nothing to do with actual allergens anymore and becomes a new "problem" more like nuisance which gets you into trouble with dummy doctors apparently, see next paragraph for contact dermatitis gone wrong story)

One time a few years ago I went to a hospital for a really bad ragweed season (cheek area sinuses were starting to get pin-prick pain which means T-cells have likely entered the nerves, think bad face flushing except add some pins to it once a day) they totally didn't get it. Not like they can do anything anyway right. And started asking questions about self-harm and schizophrenia. I had contact dermatitis lines (skin writing) on my back and legs where the sheet lines had "pressed" into me. They said they suspected self-harm! LOL. I said "look, you seem to be going with the self-harm thing for some reason, except these lines won't be here in 15 minutes I had my backpack sitting on my thigh for an hour in the waiting room." My face was busted red, I was very rational about what was going on, and they just ignored it because it was a non-specific symptom and I brought waters and food to drink (which actually forced them to throw out the self-harm hypothesis regarding some fucking lines from contact dermatitis. Christ. Looking back on it, its laughable. Just laughed at how naïve I was re: hospital care for something like that. They deal with gunshots and stab wounds and cardiac arrests. I was an idiot.

Anyway thread isn't about informing and venting on the pitfalls of living in a big building with 2 central elevator shafts directly outside your room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Moving sounds a lot easier
Funny enough, I spoke with my mother about it. She also said just move, abandon the property and carefully bag any closet/storage clothing and let dry-cleaning deal with it. She said they don't make vaccums in stores that use disposable bags. Said, yeah, that's sort of the problem I'm having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eras [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Check out Riccar vacuum cleaners. They are pretty powerful and have bags. We have used this type in our home for the past 10+ years.
Thank you, desperately trying to avoid spending on a Kirby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
step 1. take two thousand five hundred united states dollars in singles and lay them all around your house

step 2. wait for a kirby vacuum sales rep
You just said my worst fear. I don't have room for a Kirby really (it would just have to sit in my living room lol) and wouldn't be able to justify springing the $$$ on it for a mid-size condo. I figure I'll buy my first Kirby when I get a house some day, if Riccar doesn't pan out.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:44 AM
Planar Protector

Best option is find illegal immigrant, have her clean it for cheap. They are seriously good at that stuff. Do is fast tho, cause Trump gonna send em home here in a few months.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:21 AM
Planar Protector

I cannot remember the last vacuum that I used with a bag :/ It would have been before I moved out on my own. I've only had 3 vacuums since. I still use 2 of them: a shark vac and a hoover from Walmart. The shark vac I use for stairs, the Hoover everywhere else. I know not what you were looking for :/