Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Sarnak

Default The Translocators and Us

This is a post that will explain the translocators and their role in Live EQ as compared to now. There is a poll in the poll section that discussed this, but that thread has died.

The Role: Translocators are, in essence, teleporters who were put in place because of glitchy boats. They are to assist you in your travels across the Ocean of Tears to either Freeport or Butcherblock.

The Past: In classic, they were contiunally up when boats did not work.

The Present: Translocators are up on a odd time-spawn, 10 minutes or so for each place (BB, OOT, FP) but i have noticed something. When BB spawns, it spawns 2 minutes AFTER the oot one has spawned, placing you at a rough 18minute wait just to get to the other side. That is assuming these things are, indeed, a true 10minute wait. I have been know to waste as long as 26 minutes waiting to get from FP to BB.

The Waste: I understand the goal of this server, i really do. I am a huge advocate of it as it has given me a flood of flashbacks. But this issue with translocators has ruined half the fun this game is. I utterly dread having to use them because of the outrageous wait. The boats were placed in the game as a fun thing, the travel time was not an issue because it was enjoyable + it was INSTANT from OOT. You didnt have to wait for another boat to arrive, you just kept on the same boat. Now, the translocators are to replace boats in the same regard (simulate the boat wait-time for the real classic feel) but they dont.

The Solution: I am not asking for translocators that are spawned 100% of the time, I am not asking for you to fix the boats when in all honestly that would require a hell of a lot of work that can be spent on fixing other bugs/details. What I AM asking for though, is for a simple 100% spawned Translocator on OOT so it would atleast simulate what the boats did, as in a breif stop in OOT and then we contiuned our journey.

It just seems like this is an extremely needless timewaste that makes traveling horrendous as a non-porting class and it doesnt even reflect Live as this server is intending on doing. I have a hard enough time trying to keep my armor upgraded, I cant exactly afford buying ports or even relying on a druid to always be handy to teleport me.

So i implore you, the GM and developers, to think about this annoying problem. This Translocator thing is just ridiculous, i spend more time trying to get from one place to another than actually training. I dont want things put on easy mode, i dont want this to turn into WoW, I am just suggesting a patch that makes this server even closer to the LIVE experience than it is now. I do not think I am asking for anything too extreme, too different (hell, as I already stated its not different at all...Live had the trans spawned 100% of the time anyways) or too radical. So please, look into this,
Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 AM
Banned

Blame Aeolwind~
Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 AM
Sarnak

They offered to make the translocators give a choice of each of the 3 places but make each of them a 26 min spawn time. The other problem is that if there is constantly a translocator up then OOT has a zoneline which is not classic at all. Your proposal brings the travel time down to half of what it was in live.
Last edited by drplump; 02-16-2010 at 03:45 AM..
Old 02-16-2010, 03:48 AM
Sarnak

It was okay being 20minutes long in live because it was enjoyable, you werent aimlessly sitting on a dock, you were on a moving boat with the chance of getting killed + being able to enjoy the view. Since that is no longer in effect, it is stupid to keep it a 30minute wait.

And a simple fix for the OOT zone line is :: Cant teleport while in combat. Keep the other 2 zones (BBM and FP) on that 10minute wait, make OOT constantly up, but cant teleport in combat.

Problem solved
Last edited by Virtuosos; 02-16-2010 at 03:50 AM..
Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Kobold

The main concern I have is that Evil characters spawn in front of a KoS mob. This is not classic. In classic you could just stay on the Boat and not get aggro. I suggest moving the KoS mobs further away or make the translocators permanent again. I do not care if someone uses the translocator to escape death or not.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Large Bat

You can use translocator while invis.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Aviak

True, but I think the point is that you shouldn't have to invis to use them. Especially since by the time the translocator spawns in OOT or Erud's Crossing, invis will have most likely faded.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Fire Giant

Translocators ruins half the game for you? Half of your game experience is invested in traveling from Butcher to EFP or vice versa?

Takes about 30 seconds max to find a port usually. Problem solved?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Orc

The problem though as I see it, is that I don't necessarily see "The Wait" as the enjoyable part of travel in Classic Everquest. "The Fun" was the entire experience of seeing the boat arrive, hopping aboard, and then riding it all the way to the other continent with a few other travelers running around with you on the boat.

But without the boats, "The Wait" is supposed to simulate this fun, which in a way It does as you have multiple players sitting around waiting at the docks themselves. But its hardly the same thing.

Personally I wouldnt mind either to have faster Translocators. Ideally the boats could be fixed but that may never happen. But ultimately its not a huge problem either way. I just think that the tediousness of "The Wait" was justified in classic as it became an adventure in itself to ride the boat across the seemingly endess ocean.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

I agree with the note about evil characters. They shouldn't have to put up with the KOS mobs at the port location when there was no such concern in classic.

I also consider leaving the OOT (and by extention, Eruds crossing) porters up much more frequently a great suggestion; if not 100%, then perhaps leave them on a 2-3 min timer to simulate the ship's stop at the isle.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 02-16-2010 at 11:22 AM..
Closed Thread