Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Kobold

Default Fake Virus Scanners - Should be made ILLEGAL!

I'm talking about those ones that pop up out of nowhere, That you DID NOT download. they alledgedly "Scan your system" and then they claim to find "Malware and Trojan viruses"
you are then asked if you want to remove the viruses, but you have to "pay
a fee", and it can only be done with a "credit card."

Its a good way to hack into a stupid persons computer.

Its misleading to say the least. Once they have your info, they will
make unauthorized charges to your CC account, then, when you have installed the rogue virus scanner, which itself is really a virus, all information on your computer is compromised. I've never fallen for this scam. Have you?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Fire Giant

I had that crap on my computer once, and there was no way to shut it down. It blocked any of my actions, and all of my programs. I had to start the computer in the safety-mode (or whatever its called in english), to delete that piece of shit.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashimar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm talking about those ones that pop up out of nowhere, That you DID NOT download. they alledgedly "Scan your system" and then they claim to find "Malware and Trojan viruses"
you are then asked if you want to remove the viruses, but you have to "pay
a fee", and it can only be done with a "credit card."

Its a good way to hack into a stupid persons computer.

Its misleading to say the least. Once they have your info, they will
make unauthorized charges to your CC account, then, when you have installed the rogue virus scanner, which itself is really a virus, all information on your computer is compromised. I've never fallen for this scam. Have you?
Oh you totally have fallen for it. lulz
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh you totally have fallen for it. lulz
^
Old 04-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Sarnak

took a system restore to fix it when it happen to me. The culprit was a banner ad on the Piratebay homepage. I understand they fixed it. But I still run adblock just to be sure it wont happen again. Less chance anyway. always backup your data. You never know when some loser-neckbeard-assclown will make something better to get around your safe guards.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Kobold

It happened to a friend. But whatever, find some other way to troll me in a more intelligent manner. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

One of the bigger one's is from an Eastern European co. I saw a report on them once, how they were operating like a legit business, had company picnics, retirement plans, employee of the month parking, it was one of the largest employers of this little town and everyone was in on it. LOL
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashimar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It happened to a friend. But whatever, find some other way to troll me in a more intelligent manner. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everything always happens to "a friend". I know I wouldn't be so upset that I come to post on some random message board because "a friend" got a virus.

RAAAAAAAGE.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One of the bigger one's is from an Eastern European co. I saw a report on them once, how they were operating like a legit business, had company picnics, retirement plans, employee of the month parking, it was one of the largest employers of this little town and everyone was in on it. LOL

I recently fell for a scam partially, I went to do my student loans and was super tired and not thinking, so I typed in "dot com" instead of my usual "dot edu" and the site was designed to look pretty much identical, after putting in all my personal data it wanted money to file for me. I got really upset, I guess their legit and file for you for a fee, where as you can do it yourself for free. Totally immoral and misleading business practice imo.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everything always happens to "a friend". I know I wouldn't be so upset that I come to post on some random message board because "a friend" got a virus.

RAAAAAAAGE.
Really? lets see some examples then.