Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

So I tested the lighting while on the boat in Erudin and Erudin's crossing as a human. It's pretty bad. While on the boat, it does not even recognize your light source. Well, it does until you zone from South Qeynos into Erudin's crossing. Then the light source goes bye bye.

In Erudin, There is no absolutely no way at all to see the floating platform when you are on the boat, and vice versa if you are trying to get on the boat.

The only way you can, is if you turn your gamma up past 60%. And even then, you would need to know when to do it. The only reason I knew to try it is because I kept spamming /loc until it stopped changing and then I knew I stopped moving. I only did the /loc spam because I expected it to be too dark. A lot of people are not going to expect it to be that dark.

Anyway. There ya go.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I tested the lighting while on the boat in Erudin and Erudin's crossing as a human. It's pretty bad. While on the boat, it does not even recognize your light source. Well, it does until you zone from South Qeynos into Erudin's crossing. Then the light source goes bye bye.

In Erudin, There is no absolutely no way at all to see the floating platform when you are on the boat, and vice versa if you are trying to get on the boat.

The only way you can, is if you turn your gamma up past 60%. And even then, you would need to know when to do it. The only reason I knew to try it is because I kept spamming /loc until it stopped changing and then I knew I stopped moving. I only did the /loc spam because I expected it to be too dark. A lot of people are not going to expect it to be that dark.

Anyway. There ya go.
This actually turned out to be trivial to fix.

To be fair, the lighting situation still isn't GREAT on boats, but at least they (and the floating platform in Erudin) will behave like they do in South Qeynos. So, there should be enough visibility to navigate with a small dynamic light source, like a candle.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Orc

Lighting feels overall much better in this newest patch.

Really like it! Great job : )
Old 10-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was this ever reported? Player characters give off their own light, even if they are invisible. I just ran behind an invisible enchanter from one ZL of WK to the next.
Yeah, that has been reported, but there's next-to-nothing I can do about it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Kobold

Here's the current state of things. If you have the 50g patch files, you are up to date.

Known issues:
  • Clip plane settings affect light radius. (Low priority)
  • Nighttime rain makes it easier to see.
  • Under certain conditions, zone lighting can fail to initialize properly, resulting in darker-than-intended conditions outdoors at night.

Fixed (50g)
  • Infra/Ultravision are much too dark in certain indoor areas.
  • Skies and ambient lighting are messed up in several zones, notably Feerott, Toxxulia and Nektulos.
  • Outdoor zones should have a subtle blue tint instead of being inky black at night.

Fixed locally, waiting for future patch
  • Dynamic lights can cause FPS loss.
  • Dynamic lights can flicker in very crowded areas.
  • Corpses show dynamic lights.
  • All dynamic lights are too bright
  • Starting candles are WAY too bright
  • Boats (and certain other props) in certain zones (Erudin, Erud's Crossing) fail to show any dynamic lights at all

Love to fix, probably can't:
  • Baked environment lighting in some city zones is stronger than intended.
  • Boat dynamic lighting is spotty and ugly.
  • Dynamic lights (torches) not flickering like they did in Classic
  • Infravision red tint on mobs. (Ultravision works fine.)
Old 10-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankDiploma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, that has been reported, but there's next-to-nothing I can do about it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This particular issue (invisibly not hiding light sources) has fairly serious ramifications in certain scenarios, like PvP when see-invisible is not used. The wife is able to follow me around even when I'm nominally invisible.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 10-19-2019 at 04:02 PM..
Old 10-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This particular issue (invisibly not hiding light sources) has fairly serious ramifications in certain scenarios, like PvP when see-invisible is not used. The wife is able to follow me around even when I'm nominally invisible.

Danth
Are we even sure that isn't how it should be?
Old 10-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankDiploma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This actually turned out to be trivial to fix.

To be fair, the lighting situation still isn't GREAT on boats, but at least they (and the floating platform in Erudin) will behave like they do in South Qeynos. So, there should be enough visibility to navigate with a small dynamic light source, like a candle.
Awesome! Thank you. Will it be fixed with a patch or is it already fixed? Hopefully you won't hear anything else from me, but I am still running my blind ass human around all of the locations to see how the lighting is working.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are we even sure that isn't how it should be?
Unfortunately this is one of those edge cases that's VERY hard to find classic prior art for.

It does make sense that if you were invisible and holding an invisible flashlight, it would still light up the ground.

However, even if I wanted to fix it, I don't think I could.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Fire Giant

I noticed the color of the candles is a white light instead of the red/orange light they once were. I remember the lightstones being a white light but the fire lights (candle/torches, etc oh and fire beetle eyes!) being something other than a florescent white bulb.
Closed Thread