Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Almost all behavior here is different from classic, what a silly argument.
Not at all true. Tanks tank to get XP here ... just like they did on live. Soloing Shaman root/rot to get XP ... just like they did on live. Clerics heal in groups ... just like they did on live. Wizards quad ... just like they did on live ... and so on. And that's as it should be, since the whole point of this place is to emulate live.

Charmers (and, prior to the AoE-nerf, swarm kiters) are/were the only people not getting XP here the same way as people on live did! And again, I grant that some players did charm some on live ... but if you played on live you know that it wasn't anything like this. Here a Druid is an idiot if he root/rots instead of charming, whereas on live virtually every soloing druid root/rootted (or, later on, quadded). Druids here are not classic.

If the gameplay isn't classic, and we don't know what the exact charm mechanics were, why do we just assume that they are perfectly classic?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-15-2021 at 02:41 PM..
Old 06-15-2021, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For real. Might as well delete the wiki and force people to allocate stats randomly when creating characters and cap the number of min/max race choices allowed on the server while we’re at it
Old 06-15-2021, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not at all true. Tanks tank to get XP here ... just like they did on live. Soloing Shaman root/rot to get XP ... just like they did on live. Clerics heal in groups ... just like they did on live. Wizards quad ... just like they did on live, and so on.
Charmers (and, prior to the AoE-nerf, swarm kiters) are the only people not getting XP here the same way as people on live did.
According to your opinion. For anyone new here, Loramin sometimes writes comments like Trump tweets; I.e. he picks an opinion, states it as fact, and then says “EVERYONE KNOWS MY OPINION IS TRUE” etc.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not at all true. Tanks tank to get XP here ... just like they did on live. Soloing Shaman root/rot to get XP ... just like they did on live. Clerics heal in groups ... just like they did on live. Wizards quad ... just like they did on live ... and so on.

Charmers (and, prior to the AoE-nerf, swarm kiters) are the only people not getting XP here the same way as people on live did.
Maybe that's your anecdotal experience with classic. When I played live with my druid my duo partner was an enchanter. Guess what we both did? We charmed to level and when I couldn't charm on my druid I would melee.

You are just picking and choosing examples of live that fit your argument. Clerics didn't get a CH chest to go with their manastone and solo guk to level on live, we should nerf that here. Guilds didn't level coth bots to park for races, we should nerf that here. Shamans didn't solo root rot with torpor and epic to the extent they did on live, we should nerf that here. Guilds weren't made up of 40 rogues and 20 monks to zerg down rooted dragons, we should nerf that here. The wiki and your precious hunting guide didn't exist we should delete those too. Stop arguing for change with your anecdotal "evidence" just because you remember things differently from someone else.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Wow this thing is still going?

My focused water pet hits for 62. It's not 70 but it's fine. I know now that wasn't done on accident; if the 70 hitter was Luclin that's not fair I guess in the end.

The pet still does fine in groups. Still does ok soloing (not exactly a mage forte before even). Still farms Droga just with about 15% less zeal. A raiding mage is 100% the same before and after.

Quote:
If Loramin said "attempt to" the comment would hold up. This game is a construct of Elmers glue and popsicle sticks. The dev's are doing their best to fix a 20 year old elementary school project and doing a pretty good job at it.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
According to your opinion. For anyone new here, Loramin sometimes writes comments like Trump tweets; I.e. he picks an opinion, states it as fact, and then says “EVERYONE KNOWS MY OPINION IS TRUE” etc.
Yup he always states his opinion on charming as fact based off of his 20 year old memories and no actual hard proof.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Maybe that's your anecdotal experience with classic. When I played live with my druid my duo partner was an enchanter. Guess what we both did? We charmed to level and when I couldn't charm on my druid I would melee.

You are just picking and choosing examples of live that fit your argument. Clerics didn't get a CH chest to go with their manastone and solo guk to level on live, we should nerf that here. Guilds didn't level coth bots to park for races, we should nerf that here. Shamans didn't solo root rot with torpor and epic to the extent they did on live, we should nerf that here. Guilds weren't made up of 40 rogues and 20 monks to zerg down rooted dragons, we should nerf that here. The wiki and your precious hunting guide didn't exist we should delete those too. Stop arguing for change with your anecdotal "evidence" just because you remember things differently from someone else.
Like I keep saying, I know that people charmed in classic! I'm not saying "let's disable charming here"!

But ... charming was harder/riskier on live. As someone who did a lot of it on live, surely you recognize that fact? Or have the rose-tinted glasses of 20 years make you forget all the challenges of it ... or the fact that you had to duo with someone to make it safe (whereas both Druids and Enchanters solo charm with ease here)?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yup he always states his opinion on charming as fact based off of his 20 year old memories and no actual hard proof.
Want hard proof? There are like 20+ (I can't check since the Wayback Machine is down at the moment) guides for Druids here: https://web.archive.org/web/20040513...uid&Category=4. NONE of them even mention charming. If you go through every other Druid guide on that entire site snapshot (taken in 2004, AFTER Luclin) you will find like one guide for Druid charming.

So no, this is not just "Loramin saying shit": anyone who actually played on live from 1999-2001, and is being honest, will remember Enchanters were predominantly a group class, and Druids were predominantly a solo class that root/rotted (or, prior to some patches, snare/rotted). Neither one was even close to being a predominantly charming solo class, and even in groups Enchanters rarely charmed (even though, again, a few brave souls did) ... maybe because charming was riskier and more difficult.

If you don't believe me, and think I'm just making stuff up for no reason, go read the forums for Enchanters/Druids/Necros from 99-01, and then come back and tell me how often charming gets mentioned.

Last edited by loramin; 06-15-2021 at 02:53 PM..
Old 06-15-2021, 02:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Like I keep saying, I know that people charmed in classic! I'm not saying "let's disable charming here"!

But ... charming was harder/riskier on live. As someone who did a lot of it on live, surely you recognize that fact? Or have the rose-tinted glasses of 20 years make you forget all the challenges of it ... or the fact that you had to duo with someone to make it safe (whereas both Druids and Enchanters solo charm with ease here)?
I don't remember if it was harder or had more risk back on live because it was over twenty years ago. I just remember that is how the enchanter and I played because we thought it was cool. I didn't duo to make it safe, I was in a duo because the enchanter also happened to be my real life best friend. Why would we not play together? Guess what we did when p99 first came out. We both played enchanter/druid in a duo.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

One variable here that I'm not sure is completely correct, and might never be, is mob magic resistance above level 35 and in the planes. I have read lots of stuff on the newsgroups about charm resists in the planes, and Verant communications acknowledging mob resists got somewhat higher 35+. This would affect charm success.

It could be that mob magic resistance here is a bit too low but it is very hard to prove this.
Closed Thread