Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

gnome warrior

-Shinko Guild Leader <Safe Space> Green
Old 11-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends on your gaming style and time available.

If you truly don't care about end game raiding, and you like to hop on and solo for an hour, or solo afk and do stuff around the house, Druid is by far the best and easiest choice. No need to summon pets and if you go with racial hide, then you can treeform and afk fairly safely.

Iksar regen does make necro a lot easier.

I'm sure Troll makes shaman the same, but having an Ogre wedged into a corner and never getting a spell interrupted is pretty nice too. Can't count the number of times it's saved my life on a gate with a ton of mobs beating on me.

Enchanter takes practice.

Mage frustrates me because I like to armor up and weapon up pets, but it's just more efficient to chain fire pets and not worry about that stuff.

Pick what you like in the end, cause if you don't like it, you won't play it.
Thanks very much for the information - greatly appreciated.

I've been waiting for my posts to be approved so in the meantime, I did roll a half elf druid, as it starts in Kelethin which is the only place I can just about remember. Like you say, I'm casual at the moment, but I can feel it's claws digging into me already!

I was quite torn about Druid / Necro / Shaman, so I'll probably try all three and see which one fits me the best.

At the moment though, I'm just having a blast with it. Brings back so many memories.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I vote Ranger
Cruel
Old 11-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Kobold

If you are going the necro route I highly recommend Iksar. Also regardless of your race this guide help a ton when it came to great camps that generate plat and exp.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserd...Strategy_Guide
Old 11-17-2017, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

If you go down the iksar route I highly suggest you go down the route of female.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphablue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I {...} only really have time to solo.
Just want to address this misconception about "casual" and playing solo.

I think most people just don't want to spend the time and energy to group because they're antisocial hermits, but don't make it sound like a natural conclusion of being time constrained and casual...

Grouping on P99 is only clicking on "FOLLOW" - it takes literally 0.25 seconds.

I am, also, a "casual with no time" player (6 month baby and all, altitis and all the package deal), but I also happen to be a social person, and grouping is VERY easy on P99.

The population on the server is 750-1250 any time of the day and year, and basically all levelling zones from 1 to 60 are always full stock of players.

Every single "solo spot" that these guides write about you'll find players near or around, in and out, and because we're not 12 years old anymore and we all know basic math, pretty much everyone and their mother will accept to duo, trio and more.

Some camps are just very hard to share (i.e. the sisters in lfay, or the hermit in south karana, or the ice giants in everfrost peaks, etc.) but these camps are usually boring "AFK camps" ... i'm not sure it's such a nice nostalgia trip to go kill the south karana hermit solo style for 3 hours .... when you can just walk 30 seconds west and duo/trio+ at splitpaw entrance etc.

This takes no time.
Go there, if there is someone click on "INVITE", kill mobs.
When you have to go because baby is crying type in

/g baby is crying, i gtg sorry

then click on "DISBAND" and/or type /q
and nobody will be mad at you ever.

The state of the server today is that you can play 30 mins a day about 2 days a week (aka very very "casual") and still group 95% of your playtime.

Long story short; i am a filthy casual player with IRL obligations that force me to leave on a whim, and I still had much more fun on my SK or my Warrior (80%+ in group) than on the Mage and Necro I made to solo...

Play the class you want to play, play the class that looks good to you and you will feel powerful and have fun when/if you get to level 50+ - if that ends up being a squishy untwinked gnome rogue that can ONLY group past level 10 well so be it, you will be able to find groups no problem.

Finding a group being time consuming only starts kicking in at 45+ or so, and even then not for all hunting spots. Getting to level 45 untwinked casual takes more than 120h of gameplay, which is almost a year if you play 2-3 hours a week.

Casual != Solo
Old 11-17-2017, 08:11 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This takes no time.
Go there, if there is someone click on "INVITE", kill mobs.
When you have to go because baby is crying type in

/g baby is crying, i gtg sorry

then click on "DISBAND" and/or type /q
and nobody will be mad at you ever.
I agree with your entire post, but I feel bad when I have to ditch a duo, trio, or group on the spur of the moment and after a short time. So, if that's a possibility, I don't start something I can't finish. That's just me though. And, from using /tell to try to find people to group, I know it's common. But, to each their own. Depending on my class and the other classes in group, and where the group/duo/trio is, bailing without notice can be a big problem. If it's a simple camp and you're both soloing, of course it's an easy decision to team up. Going to a dungeon or hard to reach spot is a totally different deal.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Fire Giant

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad too and I actually don't have to do it that much if at all [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] usually you can still give a 15-30 mins notice or more before leaving. My example was unfairly exaggerated I admit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] but you get the idea.

And I was talking of simple duo/trio camp, because this is what untwinked character lvl 1-40 can solo, the time and difficulty of going to a certain spot in a dungeon wouldn't change much if you're a group or solo... I just think you can decide to not have time to do these types of groups even if you are not a necro or a druid. You can play an untwinked paladin and decide that you don't want to commit the time for long groups and dungeon crawling and still group and level up easily on p99 in some short-lived outdoor (or easy to reach indoor places) improvised duo/trios.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Kobold

Nagoya this was a very good post that gets to the heart of what the attraction to a mmorpg, for many folks, is really all about. It's each other. Even for those of us who don't really like to group, we don't want to play a game all by ourselves or else we wouldn't even be here.

Recently, my low level necromancer was asked by several folks if he wanted to group and I kept declining. IRL I'm in school, writing tons of papers and in between papers I play this game to relax. EQ really does relax me. But my play is very inconsistent. Sometimes I'm on for a half an hour other times for 4 or 5 hours.

I want to get to level 60 and even raid but I probably never will. Still I'm here. I think I may group a bit more because, even though I sometimes forget, the real reason I'm here (and not playing chess vs the computer) is to play with other people.

Maybe I should roll a wizard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Anyway, thanks for your post.
Last edited by Arakash; 11-17-2017 at 09:06 PM..
Old 11-18-2017, 02:56 AM
Planar Protector

Just to add to what Nagoya said, don't forget to add a disclaimer, "hey guys, I may have to leave at any moment because I'm on daddy duty for a sleeping baby / I'm a paramedic on call / I'm a wanted criminal hiding out from the police" when you join and people will be even more cool if you have to leave at the drop of a hat.

It's actually pretty normal for people on the 'xp highway'* to join/drop groups at a high turn over so you needn't feel bad as reps are never too far between (and even bad group compositions can thrive).

*oasis, mistmoore, city of mist, karnors castle.
Closed Thread