Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From what sir nilbog has told me, content is preset to "switch on" so to say once we reach that point in the timeline. Every single patch is ready to go and will be available once that expansion or timeline related content is reached. Vanilla will truly be vanilla with no QoL options available as it was in 2009. NPCs will be as they were (or as close as possible) to what it was in 1999. What do you think they have been doing for 10 years? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit - Oh, and I'm sure there will be more detailed information once we get closer and Rogean feels its ready. It's a teaser, and clearly it teased you
have they decided what the pvp teams will be for green yet?
Old 07-22-2019, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ten years(plus pre release development and conceptual time) of a project in the making, casually informed that it's releasing in several months via an unprofessionally titled thread by Rogean that contains a teaser graphic and no actual details?
Where is the official release thread that the advertisement on the Project 1999 home page should be pointing to?
It's not unprofessional. It is a teaser. Everyone else here is also waiting for future announcements with more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is the actual plan, purpose and vision of the server?
I think you've been around long enough to know the answer to this. The whole point of P99 is to recreate, blow-by-blow, the timeline of original Everquest from launch to the end of Velious. Blue server has been the testing ground for that. Green99 will start as similar to launch-era retail Everquest as possible, and each patch will adjust the server over time until the final patch of Velious. The patches are already laid down in order with proper timing. When they make a patch on Blue, they include timing/era details so it will become part of Green at the right time.

What happens at the end of the timeline is also not officially announced. One idea that has been around a long time is that Green would merge into Blue. Players have raised concerns about the effect this would have on both Blue (influx of new chars) and Green (people will play on Green just so they can have a new manastone/guise char on Blue, etc). Again, we are all just waiting for the announcements.

I'm sure there will still be bugs to work out and ever-more-classic changes to implement. But the greatest part of the work is already done.

Quote:
Will there be any mechanics changes?
no

Quote:
Including a server wipe - if so, what exactly?
There will never be a wipe. Devs have said it over and over for years.

Quote:
Different restrictions/less restrictions?
Same restrictions. Hybrid exp penalties. Everything as classic as possible. No custom changes.

Quote:
Expecting to follow the timeline to the exact dates?
Yes, as we all know, that's part of the vision.

Quote:
Lessons learned from Blue?
You mean with regard to camp and raid rules? It's reasonable to guess that the same camp rules will be in place. With regard to raids, it's hard to guess until we see how the population of Green turns out. We'll see.

Quote:
Testing?
You and I and everyone here have been doing the testing for 10 years. Already done! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Will there be early access or a staggered rollout?
Are there character creation limits to slow down the name reserving, Alt creation and general character spam that affects login servers and newbie areas?
Just wait for subsequent announcements.

In closing, have some respect for Rogean and the staff.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Content only aside, it's been tested on Blue, not Green.
If you're suggesting they'll merely copy across the server, they can't because it's not pre Kunark.
And if you then think they can fire up only a pre Kunark era version of Blue, wrong again because it's mechanics are different.

It's not like they can simply 'turn off' the expansions and call it a day.

What are the odds they just happen to have a Classic era build waiting in the wings that's all fixed and ready to roll that they said nothing about until five months before it's meant to launch?
And outside of content, there's far more to it than that.
Others have mostly answered this, but just the one thing you're maybe missing is that Blue doesn't need to "fire up only a pre Kunark era version", because it already had that version.

Although it was before your (and also my) time, the server originally started with vanilla, and the staff slowly added content on top (as Llandris mentioned, doing so carefully, in a way that could easily be "played forward" later). The reason Kunark took seven years here is that the staff was still fixing issues in Vanilla when it was first released, then they had fix everything in Kunark (which has multiple "eras"), and then they had to make Velious. Then it took almost four years after that for them to both fix everything and build the multiple Velious "eras".

If you join late like we did (me in Kunark, you in Velious I'm guessing) it looks like they jumped ahead, but really they've been building everything from Vanilla to Velious, brick by brick, the whole time.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:24 PM
Planar Protector

Videri in with a homerun.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-22-2019, 09:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

You're about to witness an event more wanton than Walmart at 6am on the day after Christmas in Baltimore.

Oh "frenzy" is putting it mildly.
Sounds like fun to me. Nobody is forcing you to play during the "frenzy" early days of the server or at all for that matter.

I can't help but think you sound horribly ungrateful in your comments in this thread. Nilbog/Rogean and long time staff have been more than professional considering that the difficulties and headaches and risks that p99 has been for them.

For those of us who have been here since the beginning I consider Rogean/Nilbog to be the reason for the success of p99 --- pretty much anybody else at the helm would have blown it by now or walked away.

It is also totally free. How much fun for free have we been having for a decade as a consequence of these "unprofessional" behaving people? Sorry, if you didn't mean to come off that way --- but its hard to read your comments without me getting that meaning out of them.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Kobold

I have a question that is more about the logistics of having green and blue (and red) up at the same time:

Do you guys think we will need two EQ folders to play both servers? The way I understand, patches modify files in the folder so a specific EQ folder corresponds to a specific point in time of EQ. How will that work with simultaneous green/blue?

RED
Xeptna Stargaze, Evoker of the 52nd Solstice
Skraaa Katau, Shaman of the 39th Season
Ashnod the Uncaring, Cleric of the 36th Sacrifice
Old 07-25-2019, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

I think the preplanned patches will change server-side code. Therefore you won't need 2 folders.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-25-2019, 04:55 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Green has been tested, heavily, for about a decade: it's called Blue (aka the "Beta Green" server) ... or at least its content has.

The "hoops" that Rogean has to jump through to release a new server have also been tested (eg. in addition to Blue and Red he brought up a whole separate Velious test server before Velious was released), so really I doubt there's much need for testing on any level.

Basically, for ten years everything the P99 team has been doing has pretty much been just building towards Green.
What if Daybreak were to step in at this point and request that 10 years of work for their next TLP?
Old 07-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every1 thinks they announced green, while obviously, the News refers to Luclin Expansion (wizard spire+druid ring = port to Nexus!)
you take that back!
Old 07-26-2019, 11:49 PM
Kobold

If you undo all the changes that Daldaen proposed then I will play on green. This includes such things as buff timers not showing (thanks Dald), nerfed autostand on spell-cast (thanks Dald), having to equip PoM flowers to cast them (thanks Dald), and essentially every other change that made the game less enjoyable. (thanks, Daldaen)
Closed Thread