Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Sarnak

@OP

Staff is on record saying they wouldn't shorten or eliminate window lengths unless the community proves that they can play nice. Even if the raid scene DID play nice for an extended period of time, the staff is likely way past the point of eliminating or shortening windows due to years and years of dealing with adult children.

The context for the current window length is that at first there were no windows at all. If you killed a raid mob it would spawn exactly xx:xx:xx later, just like any static trash mob does. That was insane with click fests standing over mobs (like scout if there wasn't a roll. Then the staff added 96 (NINETY SIX) hour windows to raid mobs. That for sure eliminated any casual or even semi-hardcore guilds from getting into the action. Then they dropped the windows to 16 hours (which in comparison to 96 hour windows seems like a huge favor, doesn't it?) and that is more or less where we have been ever since.

I'm not saying you don't have fair points, but just letting you know the staff already feels very strongly about the 16 hour window being the sweet spot of dealing the community and minimizing the headache.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:22 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@OP

Staff is on record saying they wouldn't shorten or eliminate window lengths unless the community proves that they can play nice. Even if the raid scene DID play nice for an extended period of time, the staff is likely way past the point of eliminating or shortening windows due to years and years of dealing with adult children.

The context for the current window length is that at first there were no windows at all. If you killed a raid mob it would spawn exactly xx:xx:xx later, just like any static trash mob does. That was insane with click fests standing over mobs (like scout if there wasn't a roll. Then the staff added 96 (NINETY SIX) hour windows to raid mobs. That for sure eliminated any casual or even semi-hardcore guilds from getting into the action. Then they dropped the windows to 16 hours (which in comparison to 96 hour windows seems like a huge favor, doesn't it?) and that is more or less where we have been ever since.

I'm not saying you don't have fair points, but just letting you know the staff already feels very strongly about the 16 hour window being the sweet spot of dealing the community and minimizing the headache.
Very helpful response, thanks Legday.

While I respect the staff's decisions and do not envy their task (policing a 20 year old game filled with grown adults who most times can't get along), I still think the introduction of rooted dragons in ToV has changed the raiding landscape significantly enough that it warrants reconsidering things like spawn windows... but again, that's just my take.

Appreciate the info!
Old 07-30-2019, 01:26 PM
Kobold

The only solution to your issue is to remove raid mob respawns entirely. Instead you have 4-6 quakes a month. The only time this server sees healthy distribution of raid targets is during quakes for the most part. The only way to keep neck beards from filling their pockets with DKP watching for a mob to spawn over a 16 hour window is to remove the temptation.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:27 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonabis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only solution to your issue is to remove raid mob respawns entirely. Instead you have 4-6 quakes a month. The only time this server sees healthy distribution of raid targets is during quakes for the most part. The only way to keep neck beards from filling their pockets with DKP watching for a mob to spawn over a 16 hour window is to remove the temptation.
I see what you're saying but I am not convinced that is true. Again because of the introduction of rooted dragons in ToV.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Fire Giant

These long spawn windows aren't even classic. It's funny how we get to pick and choose what classic is.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifewater [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since you've been here a long time, whats the verdict? Because looking at this objectively, we still have multiple people from multiple guilds spending 8-24 hours (per mob) spamming tracking/pet tracking macros to make sure we have a chance to kill internet dragons. And every week I come to RnF and people are being animals to each other. So what I'm seeing is everything is still the same, we just have longer spawn windows. In your opinion has it changed for the better with these oppressive windows?
From the perspective of a once 2nd tier guild that got stomped every week on every mob during the kunark era before the big windows then as a 3rd rate guild(in a large alliance) near the end of kunark and on into the Velious era with the big windows we were able to compete successfully and kill every mob in the game at our peak. Vulak and ST golems included.

As a side note, I stopped logging in 2 years ago. I came back (to the forums) recently after I heard Green99 was finally going to be a thing and I was tired of fighting cleanly against cheaters in Ark Survival.

My resume aside, server admins have been burned in their efforts to make P99 a reasonable place to play/raid time after time and are jaded to the point where I seriously doubt any petition to change the rules will have any effect.

But to see what's down this rabbit hole for your humor, the closer the spawn windows are allows the neckbeards aOneorter time to have to focus on P99. Instead of spreading them out over the whole week they will super focus on 2-3 days that the spawns are clustered around. Especially when you consider these guilds have wave after wave of characters loaded up with good gear that they can afford to swap 15-20 people mid raid to other chars for 20 minutes to kill the lower tier targets then swap back to help with NToV. Also consider the screen sharing that happens in today's climate. (One person/few people) can now watch all(?) of the spawns in window with the correct infrastructure set up(which skirts the no boxing rule and is -super- bullshit). They have adapted to succeed in this many-mob-in-window climate with minimal effort.

I don't have an answer to fix the raid scene. My only advice to someone who wants to raid would be to join one of the two big guilds, get what you think you need from raiding, and move on with your life. I've tried to be part of the small casual raiding scene and it's largely filled with disappointment if your expectation is to get BiS gear.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These long spawn windows aren't even classic. It's funny how we get to pick and choose what classic is.
Your criticism is noted, but it makes the server more manageable for the staff.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-30-2019, 02:11 PM
Sarnak

Variance, lockouts, and other rules only go so far. Blue has 300-500 raiders or so consuming content designed for 100 endgamers at most.

There's a few fixes for the endgame overpopulation
- Faster repops such as 3 days (probably won't happen)
- Red server transfer/copy (probably won't happen)
- More servers (green might help a little)

Though there was precedent for reducing repop on epic, most classes epics got much easier throughout the Velious -> PoP expansions, bottlenecks were reduced

Similarly many servers merged up etc, new ones came out at various points. Tholuxe Paells (reroll server) was probably the most fun I've had in EQ
Old 07-30-2019, 02:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This server was no longer classic the day after Luclin should have been released.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Aviak

Every non-classic change has been a poisoned dagger in Brads heart. Any mechanical changes made at this point should be to roll back all the intentional custom nonsense, or to continue tuning things to a more perfect snapshot of this era of Everquest. Fuck your general well-being and health
9 Erudite Magician - Adisa
Closed Thread