Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 AM
Orc

Question Strength for Wizards ?

Hi,

I read on the Wiki Project 1999 wizards need to put some points in Strength.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Wizard

Starting Statistics

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Suggested Starting Statistics
It is very easy to assign yourself the wrong statistics and regret it for the rest of you characters career. Wizards are primarily about mana, and our suggested allocation of bonus points reflects this:

For Dark Elves add 25 Intelligence and 5 Strength.
For Erudites add 25 Intelligence and 5 Strength or 5 Agility.
For Gnomes add 25 Intelligence and 5 Strength.
For High Elves add 25 Intelligence and 5 Strength.
For Humans add 25 Intelligence and 5 Strength.

I don't understand at all why.

Is that to carry their equipment and bags ?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Sarnak

Probably. Being wizard is a one trick pony in terms of killing stuff, int is all that realistically matters. Str would just be convenience thing while leveling up or help with melee damage at the starter levels.

I'd argue Sta for those extra points, but even that is pretty minimal when considering the end result.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Kobold

Having 60 STR on any class can become really cumbersome. Without Tink bags you can barely carry anything. You'll pick up 3 Fine Steel weapons and you'll be encumbered.

On caster/priest alts I usually put 5-10 points in STR and load up some items that have STR.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Having super low STR on any class is pretty annoying, unless you like being encumbered all the time. There is plenty of caster gear with good int and str (froglok bonecaster robe, +7str/+7int necklace) that will make your life a lot easier without sacrificing int and mana.

Its easy to sell/bank as a porting class but having higher str is soooo nice
Old 02-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebutthat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably. Being wizard is a one trick pony in terms of killing stuff, int is all that realistically matters. Str would just be convenience thing while leveling up or help with melee damage at the starter levels.

I'd argue Sta for those extra points, but even that is pretty minimal when considering the end result.
As a 54 wiz I agree with this completely. You can bind and your camp and port to nek or gfay to sell and bank. Unless your in a group it's trivial
Old 02-08-2018, 03:21 PM
Banned

For an end-game min/maxed character, STR barely matters.

However, it's a long road to get there and you may not want to actually play long at 60, if you achieve it at all.

I've rolled a lot of baby alts and a few that actually got to high level. I can say that it's a lot more fun to play the alts early if you have relatively high STR. I tend to drop 15-20 points into STR just for lols. You are a lot stronger in melee at first, you can carry loads of shit, and you die to encumbrance less frequently.

Then again, most of these toons were hardcore, perma-death style toons so being able to effectively melee levels 1-20 made a huge difference.

in short, I think it's a lot of fun to have "high STR" toons.

:-)
Old 02-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

max strength, lost staff of the scorned, monkish robe.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

I got my wizard to 60, and used those -8 str deity rings. I had a dragon bag, which helped, but I was still encumbered most of the time, which is a bitch when you're quadding. I would not fault anyone putting points into str or sacrificing their belt slot for a tbb or their gloves for gauntlets of potence.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Banned

As an Erudite wizard with double fire rings, I wish I pumped every point into STR at character creation considering how incredibly it is to hit INT soft cap.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoTriz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As an Erudite wizard with double fire rings, I wish I pumped every point into STR at character creation considering how incredibly it is to hit INT soft cap.
Every point of INT you don’t need from gear is potentially another piece of +HP, +Mana, or Resist gear... That being said, if you’re raiding 255 usually comes without trying very hard.
Closed Thread