Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Should the auction channel be server-wide on Blue?
Yes, please change the auction channel so it is server-wide. 52 55.32%
No, leave the auction channel alone! 42 44.68%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

This is one of the Best ideas I’ve heard on these forums. Really hope it happens
Old 11-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Orc

No, it should not.

They kept introducing (and removing) server-wide chat channels when I played WoW, and without exception, they were used for nothing more than an attempt at validation for attention-starved basement-dwellers.

East Commonlands is an integral part of the sense of community that Everquest has. When the Bazaar was introduced on live, the server-wide sense of community took a huge hit. The community was fractured enough with the introduction of the Green server; we do not need to be asking for it to be damaged further by the introduction of any server-wide channels.

As someone who plays the game for the social aspects, even more than loot and killing stuff, I would probably quit playing if a server-wide auction channel was introduced.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeLuvr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, it should not.

They kept introducing (and removing) server-wide chat channels when I played WoW, and without exception, they were used for nothing more than an attempt at validation for attention-starved basement-dwellers.

East Commonlands is an integral part of the sense of community that Everquest has. When the Bazaar was introduced on live, the server-wide sense of community took a huge hit. The community was fractured enough with the introduction of the Green server; we do not need to be asking for it to be damaged further by the introduction of any server-wide channels.

As someone who plays the game for the social aspects, even more than loot and killing stuff, I would probably quit playing if a server-wide auction channel was introduced.
You been to EC lately? There is no community there. It's a ghost town, server-wide would at least give us a chance to actually find buyers/sellers.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:33 PM
Planar Protector

We had global chat in the past and it was removed in no small part because P99's resident population of drug addicts and mentally ill unsurprisingly couldn't control themselves. Is there anyone who thinks that reality is any different now?

Danth
Old 12-01-2019, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We had global chat in the past and it was removed in no small part because P99's resident population of drug addicts and mentally ill unsurprisingly couldn't control themselves. Is there anyone who thinks that reality is any different now?

Danth
Agreeing with no to a global chat for above reasons

+ Not classic
Old 12-01-2019, 06:33 AM
Planar Protector

Yes but have it strictly moderated, anyone not posting sells or buys gets banned from it.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Banned

No cause people will use it as global OOC, there's too high of a population and would be scrolling too fast, and it would ruin the feeling of EC.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Aviak

You could have it set so you have to /channel GA (Global Auction) to be able to see the global channel. I know it's Not classic, but it would both assist those looking for buyers/sellers and those not interested in seeing the chat. And of course repeating the command would remove that channel.

Edit* Grammar
Favian - Wood Elf 3 Ranger
Discord - IppSwitch#4031
Old 12-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekl_Mortain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You could have it set so you have to /channel GA (Global Auction) to be able to see the global channel. I know it's Not classic, but it would both assist those looking for buyers/sellers and those not interested in seeing the chat. And of course repeating the command would remove that channel.

Edit* Grammar
I really like this idea!

I wonder if they can limit the number of messages one can post.. If they limited it to 1 per every 5 minutes, it would cut down on spam quite a bit.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really like this idea!

I wonder if they can limit the number of messages one can post.. If they limited it to 1 per every 5 minutes, it would cut down on spam quite a bit.
I don't see why not. It'd probs have to be set to something like

If player count >10 Count 100ms
If player count <10 Count 600ms

Ect ect. That way the chat can never be bogged down by greater player rates but will also adjust to lower amounts of active players. The downside is it will count all players active in a server. So you'd have to find the max players then adjust the amount till it's balanced.
Favian - Wood Elf 3 Ranger
Discord - IppSwitch#4031
Closed Thread