Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 03-21-2022, 01:36 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The no-boxing rule is actually probably one of the top reasons this server has such a strong population. Single-boxing forces most players to rely on each other, compete with each other, negotiate...interact with each other. Relationships and reputation with other players are top resources. Allowing boxing would change that. That environment is a big part of why people have chosen to play here.
Very nicely said! This is why I prefer to play on a single-box server.

People sometimes mention how everyone solos on P99 or how nobody talks in groups - my experience on multi-box servers is that they are 10x like this.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Boxing didn't kill Everquest. Everquest killed everquest. It failed to adapt to it's changing audience.
Vanilla WoW's resurgence...a fluke then? It could be argued that SOE killed EverQuest by failing to maintain its original style and market signature characters well. Games, and art projects in general, do not need to appeal to the largest audience in order to be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 is like a drop in the bucket for MMO player counts. It's really not very popular.
Popularity is not an indication of quality.

Quote:
]There's a reason Modern MMOs implement a lot of these mechanics into their games. They actually work. There's a reason why the most popular MMOs are absolutely nothing like P99. It's because this style of MMOs doesn't work anymore in the current gaming community.
There's a reason why retro games are still being played and why newly released pay homage to them. What goes out of style eventually comes back into style.

Quote:
Quite a few jaded players
Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam=3437796
And don't bring up fucking Pantheon please. That game will never finished. and even if it ever does. It's probably going to suck. Just like Vanguard.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:41 PM
Sarnak

there is no need to box on the Teal server.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterChimp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there is no need to box on the Teal server.
It’s proven that Teal is box free.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 03-21-2022, 01:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
only if you lead a vapid, vacuous empty existence outside of the game and only seek contact with sentient beings in avatar form.

I'll never understand you people that cry heresy unless behind each character there is only 1 human being.

do you really have to sit in your dark, dusty dank room, look at your group mates and think to yourself, "5 other real humans have accepted me in their group, i'm a valid human being!"

so sad

boxing is as classic as everquest gets, in 2001 i was boxing 2-8 accounts at any given time. back in that time, there was no MQ2, it was all alt-tab and my lightning reflexes.

maybe you all just lack the cranial processing power to manage multiple characters at once, you have to think fast, move fast, click fast. Be ultra-creative with macros.

but you all really just want to sit there, and stare at the same window, the same character, pressing the same 3 keys, over and over, hour after hour

TL;DR Playing only 1 account is fucking boring.
The only thing i'll agree with it is that it's fun upping the stakes and trying to take down a hard camp while alt+tabbing through a bunch of accounts rapidly.. it's what i was doing on the EZ server for a while.

That being said, you're revering yourself as a god gamer because of... a capability to alt tab and press a button and then tab again lmao, which just really isn't the case. Jesus christ you sound like a buffoon.

And ultimately, in 1999-2001, probably 3% of EQ players had the ability to box. My father had two computers in his office that both ran EQ, and still exclusively played his only toons. It's definitely not classic, and it DEFINITELY would weaken the social aspects of this server (The strongest part of the server) if boxing was allowed.

File under resolved.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The no-boxing rule is actually probably one of the top reasons this server has such a strong population. Single-boxing forces most players to rely on each other, compete with each other, negotiate...interact with each other. Relationships and reputation with other players are top resources. Allowing boxing would change that. That environment is a big part of why people have chosen to play here.

That and mouse-wheel zoom.

So it's not that people on P99 despise multi-boxing "just because it's against the rules." That's kind of backwards. Rather, those rules are the reason the P99 population chose P99.

If you want to find a population open to multi-boxing, they'd have gone to Wayfarer's Haven or TAKP.
It's similar to, but not as extreme as, players being restricted to a single character slot as was the case on the Firiona Vie server. No pocket clerics to rez. No druid/wizard alts to port.

It isn't for everyone, but some prefer it to anything else. The same could be said for PvP.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

I don’t think there is vitriol against multiboxing btw.

Saying ‘have fun boxing on live/takp’ isn’t negativity. It is providing a solution in a positive way. I am sure many, if not most, of us have boxed at some point or still box on other servers.

Boxing is just outside the scope of the server. That is to be respected, and neither paying that respect nor communicating that respect, should be construed to be vitriol.

Stop seeing hate, start living love.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 03-21-2022, 02:13 PM
Banned

c-c-c-c-cheating should be accepted or else ur a bigot
(lol)
Old 03-21-2022, 02:52 PM
Kobold

Quote:

That and mouse-wheel zoom.

So it's not that people on P99 despise multi-boxing "just because it's against the rules." That's kind of backwards. Rather, those rules are the reason the P99 population chose P99.

If you want to find a population open to multi-boxing, they'd have gone to Wayfarer's Haven or TAKP.
I know if it wasn't for single box rules (however loosely followed by the playerbase) was I'd probably be on a TLP instead or SoD. People that are calling it classic are FOS, multiboxing was extremely rare during this period and everyone would mutlibox here if it was allowed, making it clearly unclassic.

Also if you have an issue with lack of player pop "except 50+" roll green. If P99 became a multibox server I'd imagine the population would be the same as far as account, but the actual number of humans would dwindle
Old 03-21-2022, 03:17 PM
Sarnak

Boxing was not common at all in the era that p99 attempts to recreate. If anything, p99 needs to go further and limit players to a single account. Having infinite free accounts is probably the least classic thing we have here. It affects so many aspects of the game. Imagine you have 8 char slots and none of those 8 chars can be played at the same time as another on the account. Choose your alts carefully. No more "hey bro can you sit afk on my alt so i can PL it" cheese. In the raid scene it is InfrastructureQuest with all the mules and bots spread across countless accounts and designed to be shared. None of that shit is classic.